Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:51 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbasal
I'm going to try to get as much info as possible as to what is different. The NNA person on the phone did not have the technical data, but I should be able to get something. If I can't, that would tell us a lot.

I just want to make sure that Nissan just didn't do something to detune the engine.
are you still going to dyno your current revup to match against the revised revup?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:57 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
are you still going to dyno your current revup to match against the revised revup?
I'm working on that. Trying to get in Monday morning to get the dyno on this one.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:08 AM
TONY2

Last edited by TONY2; 05-04-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:11 AM
TONY2

I have been reading this thread up to page 20 and no one really had a solution to this oil consumption issue. Maybe i missed something between 20 to 40 since i just clicked on the last page and realized wow still no solution.. someone pm me and let me know if they have found a solution. I havent had any major oil comsumption on my 06.

My question is for those that are having this oil consumption issue. What oil were you guys using when you first purchased your vehicle - synthetic or conventional.

When i first purchased it in dec 05, i drained the oil that was originally in it after i put 500 miles on it and just to be on the safe side, i used conventional (non synthetic) and drained it after 1000, and continue using non synthetic just to make sure all the metal residue came out since its a brand new motor. Usually from what i know, you got to let the rings seat before using synthetic. so i finally switch to synthetic after 8k miles and no oil consumption issue for me. Currently i have 17k and still running strong.

FYI - Nissan told me that the motor is already broken in from the factory when i asked what oil they are using in it so i dont need to worry about allowing the rings to seat and i can go ahead and get on it off the show room floor. I was like watever...i'm going to take it easy for a 1000 miles before i do that.

anyways, hope nissan or the guys with this issue find a solution.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
jg350

horrible subject for a first post... Went to the dealership this morning for my third regular oil change. I asked the mechanic if he could tell me how many quarts he pulls out. He came & found me, told me to follow him & that I wouldnt like the outcome... He shows me this bucket with only 1-1/2 quarts of oil. I was like mmMm not good. The very first two oil changes that they also did, it wasnt this bad but damn.... come on 1-1/2 quarts tsk tsk. Went to the service manager & told him I want a new motor. He told me to come back in 1000 miles to see where its at. Bought this brand new in Aug. 06 (base) with about 11 miles on it, now it has 9800. I only drive it to work m-f around 40-50 miles a day.

You know, reading everyones situation about this problem & all the way up to people building up motors & not having a good outcome, seems like the bad out ways the good. I wanted to have a good turbo motor & blah blah blah, but this puts a damper on things. I know this shoulndt stop me from doing what I want but still... maybe my mind will change later. thanks for the rant
Old 05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
ZLOC06

Just wanted to thank you all for the posts. I have the same issue with my Z, but I'm currently having Lemon Law lawyers present Nissan Corp. with my case. After all my own research, I found that this has been a problem with the Z's for some years now. I love the car, as I'm sure all of you do, but I can't live with the oil issue. Again, thanks for the posts, and I hope the "fix" is in real soon for all with this issue.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:33 PM
ZPHILE

Default Hope this answers your questions.....

Originally Posted by TONY2
I have been reading this thread up to page 20 and no one really had a solution to this oil consumption issue. Maybe i missed something between 20 to 40 since i just clicked on the last page and realized wow still no solution.. someone pm me and let me know if they have found a solution. I havent had any major oil comsumption on my 06.

My question is for those that are having this oil consumption issue. What oil were you guys using when you first purchased your vehicle - synthetic or conventional.

When i first purchased it in dec 05, i drained the oil that was originally in it after i put 500 miles on it and just to be on the safe side, i used conventional (non synthetic) and drained it after 1000, and continue using non synthetic just to make sure all the metal residue came out since its a brand new motor. Usually from what i know, you got to let the rings seat before using synthetic. so i finally switch to synthetic after 8k miles and no oil consumption issue for me. Currently i have 17k and still running strong.

FYI - Nissan told me that the motor is already broken in from the factory when i asked what oil they are using in it so i dont need to worry about allowing the rings to seat and i can go ahead and get on it off the show room floor. I was like watever...i'm going to take it easy for a 1000 miles before i do that.

anyways, hope nissan or the guys with this issue find a solution.
1) What oil was I first using - after the break in I used syn. After oil consumption noticed and per Nissan Service and advice here using conventional. Wasn't told that not using syn would not seat or not help the engine. BTW - still burns with conventional oil now (was better with use of conventional though).

2) As for the issues - I'm leaning toward ring issues from the factory not break-in (had last gen Z and used syn after first oil change and never any oil consumption issues - BTW first engine and 250K miles later - still rolling!). As documented the Altima had the issue from the factory and I think the 350Z 6MT Rev-up does too. Also, I have heard other year Z owners tell me that they have oil issues too. Go figure.

3) What Z do you have (year, AT or MT, anniversary addition, stock HP, etc). I happy someone's Z is not eating oil. And that line about pre-break-in (break-in not needed), that's not what my owner manual stated! What Gomer told you that? I agree with you on the taking it easy.

Hope this helps...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Nismo Z

so does this mean all revup owners will be receiving this new "updated" engine? and lets all hope that the new engines aren't detuned
Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Engine from Japan

Originally Posted by Nismo Z
so does this mean all revup owners will be receiving this new "updated" engine? and lets all hope that the new engines aren't detuned
Well I have thrown my 2005 6sp Rev-Up new motor, after first threw a rod through the side of my block due to no oil being in there, on the dyno yet, but the engine pulls strong...See the MID A section for Skyline Drive May 6 for pics and more info.

https://my350z.com/forum/mid-atlantic/269660-pics-may-6th-skyline-drive.html

I am scared to check the oil now. I cracked 1200 miles on the new Infiniti replaced engine sent from Japan. I am taking the car in soon to get the oil checked by the dealership...I am not touching a thing, raising the hood or changing anything anymore, for 40K I should have to for that amount of loot.
Plus all of our cars Z's or G's will get a bad name and resale if and when Nissan ever addresses this issue and recalls the 300HP engines!!!!

I will let you all know how it pans out. If its low. I am taking the 40 POS to car max. I love the car too much and pay way tooo much money to have it sit in the Infinti shop for 5 days getting new motors every 3K miles. Which from Northern VA that is the rule....every 3rd time its low, a new engine is on order! (Infiniti of Chantily, VA) Ask for Steve.

Will keep the thread updated as more infor is giving to me.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 05-07-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Nismo Z
No. Not at all. That is why Nissan is doing it the way they are. Most people will never notice if they changed their oil every 3750. This will save Nissan a lot of money.

It seems like this is what you get if you file a Last Chance to repair notice. Still, we do not even know if these engines are any different. That's just what Nissan states. Hopefully I will get more info this week. I expect a call from the dealer tomorrow or Wednesday.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 2006 6MT that I purchased new (with 11 miles on it) in March 2006. The car now has about 18k miles on the clock and it has a JWT Popcharger. I never really suspected an oil consumption problem and, admittedly, have not faithfully checked the oil level indicated on the dipstick between oil changes. I do however faithfully have my oil changed by the local Nissan dealer every 3k-4k miles. Recently (past few weeks) the car has been hesitating when starting for the first time in the morning on a cool day (say 50 to 60 degrees Farenheit ambient temperature). I turn the key and the starter goes, but then the engine seems to choke a bit before firing up. It only happens on the first start of the day, or sometimes if I drive to work and don't start it up again until 8 or 9 hours later when I leave to come home. I never noticed this before, regardless of whether it was the previous summer or during the winter. It always fired right up.

So anyway at first I thought it might be due to a dirty MAF sensor so I used some CRC MAF sensor cleaner, but that didn't seem to make a difference. As I mentioned before this hesitation only occurs the first time I start the car after a long period (I would estimate 8 hours or more) of sitting. Every subsequent start after shorter periods of time is fine. My suspicion is that when the car sits for a long time, such as overnight, all of the oil settles down and drains off of the internal engine components that live above the oil level (wherever that level happens to be). Once the engine turns over the oil sloshes around and lubricates enough of the parts to allow the engine to run. If I only wait a couple of hours between starts I think there is still enough residual lubrication to allow the engine to start normally.

Does this explanation make sense to anyone? I am going to revert back to the stock airbox tonight so that I can try to definitely rule out some MAF problem due to my JWT popcharger. If the problem persists, and I suspect it will, then I will be taking it to the dealer to being the oil consumption test procedure. It's too hard for me to tell wha's going on in there based on the oil level shown on the dip stick, and if it is a problem I want to nip it in the bud.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
I1DER

Are you checking the dipstick level in the morning before you fire it up? If it is up, then everyone would have the same thing happening according to your theory.

Damn dipstick is hard to read, but it is simpler than some of the other stuff you are doing to eliminate variables.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just check my oil on the new engine shipped from Japan. Got all dirty and everything only to report the same issue....I am at least a quart low maybe 1.5. I did go to Skyline Drive yesterday, but that was the first time I got on it since the new engine. Current mileage on new engine is 1250 miles.

Called Infiniti....I am done with this shizzil...sorry guys..Im out of the game after today.

This is absolutely unacceptble for 40K.

Should of kept my 2001 Mustang GT....never thought I would ever say those words after the first mile of driving my new G35.

Life has it turns and twist...So disappointed in all this...good luck, I personally dont see anyway out. I asked them to buy the car back...Will keep you all updated.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by I1DER
Are you checking the dipstick level in the morning before you fire it up? If it is up, then everyone would have the same thing happening according to your theory.

Damn dipstick is hard to read, but it is simpler than some of the other stuff you are doing to eliminate variables.
I only check the dipstick in the morning before firing it up (i.e. when the oil level should be at its lowest), and I have been checking it every 3rd or 4th morning. I have also been trying to make a point to drive the car about the same amount and in the same manner between each dipstick check. I figure that checking it only in the mornings after sitting all night gives a good baseline for checking how much oil, if any, has been consumed between checks.

Like you said, the problem is that the dipstick is hard to read. The stick is covered in oil up to just a little below half way between L and H (so it's a bit closer to the Low side). I'm not sure if this means that there is not enough oil in there, or if it's similar to the markings on the radiator coolant reservoir being that it should read lower when cold and higher when hot. (Obviously the level will be a bit higher when the engine is hot because oil expands, but I'm not sure whether the dipstick is intended for measuring cold levels, hot levels, or the range from cold to hot). I took a video this morning of my cold start up where the engine acted as I described in my post above. I will post it up when I get home and hopefully the sound will be clear enough so that you can hear the hesitation.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I1DER

The reason for checking it cold before starting in the morning is not because oil expands. It is to know that all the oil has drained from the upper engine so the dipstick measurement has a meaning.

If the engine has been running, the oil needs to get warm enough to lose viscosity so that it doesn't have to sit forever for it all to drain back in the sump. Cold or warm it doesn't matter, as long as all the oil is in the sump when you measure.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by I1DER
The reason for checking it cold before starting in the morning is not because oil expands. It is to know that all the oil has drained from the upper engine so the dipstick measurement has a meaning.

If the engine has been running, the oil needs to get warm enough to lose viscosity so that it doesn't have to sit forever for it all to drain back in the sump. Cold or warm it doesn't matter, as long as all the oil is in the sump when you measure.
Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense to me. I'll keep an eye on it and report back here. Hopefully I'll have a chance to take it to the dealer in the next week or so.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Charles Field

Have recently bought an '04 and oil consumptions is bad. Does not seem to be "buring" oil out rear exhaust but using about 1 quart per 1000 to 1500m or so. Thought previous owner was just abused car, but you say this might be tuned out?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:20 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
Just check my oil on the new engine shipped from Japan. Got all dirty and everything only to report the same issue....I am at least a quart low maybe 1.5. I did go to Skyline Drive yesterday, but that was the first time I got on it since the new engine. Current mileage on new engine is 1250 miles.

Called Infiniti....I am done with this shizzil...sorry guys..Im out of the game after today.

This is absolutely unacceptble for 40K.

Should of kept my 2001 Mustang GT....never thought I would ever say those words after the first mile of driving my new G35.

Life has it turns and twist...So disappointed in all this...good luck, I personally dont see anyway out. I asked them to buy the car back...Will keep you all updated.

Well, that is disappointing.

I agree, that is totally unacceptable.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but in all honestly do not feel that this new engine will fix anything anyways, but at least I played the game with them and they will have to replace the vehicle at that point.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
creationv2

man i wish i had a worst problem than my random low oil consumptions so i can do somethign about it...but i got to live with it since its apparently not bade\ enough if it doesnt comply with the 1000mile interval test cycles...

its disappointing to know you have to always be worrying about your car and you just got it a year or less ago....

is there any other way to get them to buy back the car or anything if this new engine doesnt work? im tired of not being able to do antyhing mod related to my car....feels like im driving a used car when i think about the problems we are having
Old 05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
man i wish i had a worst problem than my random low oil consumptions so i can do somethign about it...but i got to live with it since its apparently not bade\ enough if it doesnt comply with the 1000mile interval test cycles...

its disappointing to know you have to always be worrying about your car and you just got it a year or less ago....

is there any other way to get them to buy back the car or anything if this new engine doesnt work? im tired of not being able to do antyhing mod related to my car....feels like im driving a used car when i think about the problems we are having
Personally, I would run it for 3000 miles and bring it back in and show them how much it is down and have it documented. I just had to add 2 3/4 of a quart on Saturday at 2800 miles.

Just because they tell you that it is within spec, does not make it so.

Now, if you are losing 1/3 qt or so over 3000 miles, then I would say that certainly there is nothing to worry about.

If the new engine does not work, then it would give Nissan no leg to stand on whatsoever.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion