Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 AM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still seeing mixed results.... dunno guys. I'm glad to see some working out, but the rest of you need to get on it with Nissan. I personally wasn't comfortable with them using me as a test dummy for a new engine (that they didn't get right the first time) and the 100K mile warranty thing was a joke since my Z would never have stayed stock. Just consider all aspects before letting NNA make you play their game.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
Still seeing mixed results.... dunno guys. I'm glad to see some working out, but the rest of you need to get on it with Nissan. I personally wasn't comfortable with them using me as a test dummy for a new engine (that they didn't get right the first time) and the 100K mile warranty thing was a joke since my Z would never have stayed stock. Just consider all aspects before letting NNA make you play their game.
Another thing for you was that they were still a ways off and for good reason you did not want to wait. If I were to have had to wait a month or more I would not have done it either. I actually thought that was what they were going to tell me, but when they told me they had them ready to go, I decided what the heck. I still had to wait longer than I thought I would though (Nissan was not completely honest, imagine that!).

The one thing that will be interesting is to see over a little time what happens.

You also make a good point on the 100k warranty. If I were to go FI, I would end up getting the block built up anyways.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:04 AM
RBlover69

db, have u noticed how smooth these engines are.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:09 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by RBlover69
db, have u noticed how smooth these engines are.
I noticed a big difference, yes. It is like day and night. Very responsive too.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Hexxum001

Wow, this is a great thread. I wish the oil consumption thread on G35Driver was a bit more informative like this one. I also had the engine of my 2006 G35 6MT coupe (w/RevUp) replaced with a hand built engine (version 2) and so far so good. As a matter of fact, I already threw a Vortech SC on my car and everything is still good. This revised engine seems to have resolved the issue. Good luck to everyone with oil consumption issues. Be patient but be persistent.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 PM
marathonhunter

Default new engine

Guys,

I'm getting my new engine this week. I hope it works. I agree Nissan really blew it with us , lying to us about the problem. When will they learn that customer relations is what makes a great company. Look at Toyota now, with the media hyping that they are the #1 brand in the automotive industry, then check out their recall history, pretty impressive. Nissan has a long ways to go when competing with Toyota. And to think that I might have stepped out to a Infiniti M45. I doubt it now. The Z is the coolest car on the road.

At the very least they better give us all 100mile warranty to preserve their Z factor, integrity.

mh
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Wow, this is a great thread. I wish the oil consumption thread on G35Driver was a bit more informative like this one. I also had the engine of my 2006 G35 6MT coupe (w/RevUp) replaced with a hand built engine (version 2) and so far so good. As a matter of fact, I already threw a Vortech SC on my car and everything is still good. This revised engine seems to have resolved the issue. Good luck to everyone with oil consumption issues. Be patient but be persistent.
Great to hear that things are going well for you. Since this seemed to be working for me as well, the temptations are starting to creep in.

Hello working engine, goodbye money!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by dbasal
Great to hear that things are going well for you. Since this seemed to be working for me as well, the temptations are starting to creep in.

Hello working engine, goodbye money!
haha!! I had the temptations way before I even realized that I had oil consumption issues. Going through the oil consumption tests and waiting for my new engine are what slowed me down and kept me having to wait to go FI. As soon as I broke in my engine and I saw that my new engine wasn't consuming oil, it went straight to GTM to get FI'd.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 AM
MechaGodzilla

I wish we could find out what the dif is between v1 and v1
Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla
I wish we could find out what the dif is between v1 and v1
Pistons and rings are what they are saying.

Whatever exactly they did, it makes a big difference.

The only way to know for sure is to take it apart and compare with the older one.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:32 AM
zmedic16

im waiting for my engine as well. shipment to NYC from japan isnt a fast process. like we are all sayin, if u feel u having oil consumption start ur case with the BETTER BUSINESS BEAURO they were the only real help i resieved. i have been buyin mods for my car like crazy. random tech hi flows, xo2 exhaust, mrev2+spacer, pop charger, unorthodox pulleys, headers are out the game since im plannin F.I Next year with the new single turbo kit from intense motorsports. im just havin patients on not installin anything untill new engine is confirmed wit no oil consumption. maybe the new revised revups can brake the 300whp barrier???? i guess we have to dyno it. have any of u guys that broke in the new engine dyno it yet??
Old 07-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by dbasal
Pistons and rings are what they are saying.

Whatever exactly they did, it makes a big difference.

The only way to know for sure is to take it apart and compare with the older one.
That's exactly what I was told also. Apparently Nissan/Infiniti is using revised or maybe even different pistons and rings than what are on version 1 RevUps.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 PM
ZmaXimus

Whats a version 1 rev up?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by ZmaXimus
Whats a version 1 rev up?
Well, it's not the official name or anything like that but I guess we are calling the original RevUp's version 1 and the hand built RevUp's with the revised pistons/rings version 2.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:20 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Well, it's not the official name or anything like that but I guess we are calling the original RevUp's version 1 and the hand built RevUp's with the revised pistons/rings version 2.
+1.

Just an easy way to keep track of these things.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:36 PM
ZmaXimus

dbasal, are you done with the BBB?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
dbasal

dbasal, are you done with the BBB?
Yeah. I never really had to do anything further since Nissan put the new engine in the car.

We shall see if I have to revist that or if this engine will hold up. Only time will tell.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM
calin
Banned

just got my oil topped off by West Covina Nissan. now i have to go back after 2000 miles and they'll let me know exactly how much oil I'm burning and what they'll do to my car... :/
Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
ZmaXimus

dbasal, this is my concern. I had the jap engine installed and im sure it resolved the issue, however, what if another 20,000 it starts consuming oil again. I don't want to re-open another case and start the process all over again. Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 PM
dbasal

dbasal, this is my concern. I had the jap engine installed and im sure it resolved the issue, however, what if another 20,000 it starts consuming oil again. I don't want to re-open another case and start the process all over again. Any thoughts?
I'm not sure what the statute of limitations is, but I was told that if it still did not fix the problem to just call them back and use the old case number as it would not require a new case. That was one of my concerns too.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion