Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Hexxum001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you always go to the same dealer. If this issue should ever happen again, it's right back to Infiniti of Glendale. I've been there so many times for oil changes and oil consumption tests that even the porters know me there. Well, also my G kinda stands out too. Hopefully I will never have to deal with oil consumption again on my G but if I do, I'm going right back to them. They have documentation of everything for my car.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:46 PM
ZmaXimus

Hexxum001,

How you like that vortech? Thinking about having Jeremy do mine. Any problems?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by ZmaXimus
Hexxum001,

How you like that vortech? Thinking about having Jeremy do mine. Any problems?
So far so good ZmaXimus. I have the 2.87 pulley which presented a little bit of a challenge cuz I guess there are not many RevUp engines with the 2.87 pulley. Luckily, I had the fellas at GTM doing my install and tuning so they got it working to perfection. If I was in Florida though, I would definitely let Jeremy and the fellas at PF do my install. You can't go wrong there.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 PM
rrowen

Default I've joined the club!

Today I started my oil consumption test with Performance Nissan. I own a '06.5 Grand Touring coupe (6mt) with 3,000K. I did my first oil change at 1,500k never once looked at the dipstick. Then I started reading this thread and became aware of the problem members are having. I then checked my oil once a week, and yes, my engine is just like the others. I've drove another 1,500k, and kept seeing the oil level going lower by the week. I knew i was screwed. I haven't even taken it to redline! Today, the service dept. said it was over 3 quarts low with only 1,500 miles driven! Performance Nissan said come back in 700 miles and if the oil level is not within specs (in my opinion..full!), they will replace the engine. It's time to re-read this thread from page 1. I want to say "Thank- you" to everyone, for your postings and how to handle this situation.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:08 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by rrowen
Today I started my oil consumption test with Performance Nissan. I own a '06.5 Grand Touring coupe (6mt) with 3,000K. I did my first oil change at 1,500k never once looked at the dipstick. Then I started reading this thread and became aware of the problem members are having. I then checked my oil once a week, and yes, my engine is just like the others. I've drove another 1,500k, and kept seeing the oil level going lower by the week. I knew i was screwed. I haven't even taken it to redline! Today, the service dept. said it was over 3 quarts low with only 1,500 miles driven! Performance Nissan said come back in 700 miles and if the oil level is not within specs (in my opinion..full!), they will replace the engine. It's time to re-read this thread from page 1. I want to say "Thank- you" to everyone, for your postings and how to handle this situation.
you ahve 3000 km?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 AM
rrowen

Sorry...I was wrong by saying (k) instead of miles. I have a little over 3,000 miles on the car. I did my first oil change at 1,500 miles to change the breakin oil. This was my second oil change at 3,000 milles, which I was forced to do because the oil was just above the min. on the dipstick.

Once again, if not for this Thread, I would not have known about this huge problem. My engine would not of made it to my next scheduled oil change which was at 4,500-5,000 miles.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 AM
dbasal

Sorry...I was wrong by saying (k) instead of miles. I have a little over 3,000 miles on the car. I did my first oil change at 1,500 miles to change the breakin oil. This was my second oil change at 3,000 milles, which I was forced to do because the oil was just above the min. on the dipstick.

Once again, if not for this Thread, I would not have known about this huge problem. My engine would not of made it to my next scheduled oil change which was at 4,500-5,000 miles.
Too bad we can't get the word out even more, but if Nissan does a recall for all rev-ups that should fix the problem. Seeing all these new folks come in each day further validates what I have thought about this issue for a long time now.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by dbasal
Too bad we can't get the word out even more, but if Nissan does a recall for all rev-ups that should fix the problem. Seeing all these new folks come in each day further validates what I have thought about this issue for a long time now.
Believe it or not, just as many G's are having the same issue. I personally know at least 5 people in SoCal that have gotten their engines replaced. It is definitely a known issue with Nissan/Infiniti. I looks like they may finally have found a solution though.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Believe it or not, just as many G's are having the same issue. I personally know at least 5 people in SoCal that have gotten their engines replaced. It is definitely a known issue with Nissan/Infiniti. I looks like they may finally have found a solution though.
I hope they have solved it. The problem is that I am sure Nissan will only handle it if people bring it up and complain. There is no way I can see Nissan/Inifinity replacing every rev-up. The one good thing is that a lot of people have modded their old ones so that would pretty much make them SOL.

[EDIT] Yes, I would expect the Gs to have the same issue.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
ZmaXimus

The 2005 G's don't have the issue, do they?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:17 AM
dbasal

The 2005 G's don't have the issue, do they?
Looking at the specs, it says the 2005 6MT has a 298 hp engine. To me that means rev-up. I have not kept up with what year Gs have the problem though.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 AM
rrowen

I traded in my '03 Infiniti G35 sport coupe for my special order '06.5 Grand Touring Coupe. After 3 yrs, I never once had a oil consumptiom problem with that engine. It was not a high rev engine, redline was 6,000 rpm. I don't know when Nisan start making the high rev engine for select models.

About mods..I have installed a JWT intake..Eibach springs..Stillen camber kit..Nismo exhaust...Rogue Short Shifter. Performance Nissan never mention anything about my mods could be a problem with receiving a new engine. Guess I have to wait and see what they say after my consumption test.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM
dbasal

I traded in my '03 Infiniti G35 sport coupe for my special order '06.5 Grand Touring Coupe. After 3 yrs, I never once had a oil consumptiom problem with that engine. It was not a high rev engine, redline was 6,000 rpm. I don't know when Nisan start making the high rev engine for select models.

About mods..I have installed a JWT intake..Eibach springs..Stillen camber kit..Nismo exhaust...Rogue Short Shifter. Performance Nissan never mention anything about my mods could be a problem with receiving a new engine. Guess I have to wait and see what they say after my consumption test.
I was thinking more of the folks with built engines being SOL. Mainly those that went FI or have had major work done on the internals.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM
StarShot

Smile Take it to the street's

Their is a way out ...take it to the streets....I just painted the name of my car behind the front wheels under the "Z" THE CAR'S NAME..... " ZEE OIL BURNER" .... if all the "oil burners "taged their cars some how nissan just might get the idea...were out their ..and were not going away....
btw this is my third and the last z. '( this car is a piece of S**t ) I was torn between an 06 red vette rdstr 6 mt or this piece of...S**t an 06 gray gt rdstr 6 mt ....boy did I make the wrong choice. .. Bob
Old 07-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Hexxum001

Funny thing is that I used to have a 2005 Infiniti G35 6MT coupe with a RevUp engine and I had zero problems with it. None at all. So go figure.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
antennahead

I hope they have solved it. The problem is that I am sure Nissan will only handle it if people bring it up and complain. There is no way I can see Nissan/Inifinity replacing every rev-up. The one good thing is that a lot of people have modded their old ones so that would pretty much make them SOL.

[EDIT] Yes, I would expect the Gs to have the same issue.

I agree. The regional rep will not return my call, and she has not returned my service manager's call since he first talked to her about my problem. I was at the dealership today and they confirmed over a quart low in 900 miles since the last oil change; had them document on the service order ticket. I will take it in again in about a 1000 miles to document it again. 3rd time, I get a new engine or Nissan North America gets served papers from my attorney. This is really pi**ing me off. Return our calls damn it!!! I think dbasal is correct, only those that push to lawsuit or lemon law buy back will be getting new engines. If I hear one more quote that " NNA knows what the problem is and a fix is coming out next month", I am gonna hurl........... That's like the sign on the bar that says "free beer tomorrow"................... tomorrow never comes, it's always today
Old 07-18-2007, 07:29 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by antennahead
I agree. The regional rep will not return my call, and she has not returned my service manager's call since he first talked to her about my problem. I was at the dealership today and they confirmed over a quart low in 900 miles since the last oil change; had them document on the service order ticket. I will take it in again in about a 1000 miles to document it again. 3rd time, I get a new engine or Nissan North America gets served papers from my attorney. This is really pi**ing me off. Return our calls damn it!!! I think dbasal is correct, only those that push to lawsuit or lemon law buy back will be getting new engines. If I hear one more quote that " NNA knows what the problem is and a fix is coming out next month", I am gonna hurl........... That's like the sign on the bar that says "free beer tomorrow"................... tomorrow never comes, it's always today
It has gotten worse too. At first, before they would admit a problem, they had no problem getting right back to me. As things started to come to fruition, the calls stopped getting returned. Then the same thing happened when I tried to get the extended warranty issue ironed out.

It is sad that Nissan does not get their customer service act together.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by StarShot
.... if all the "oil burners "taged their cars some how nissan just might get the idea...were out their ..and were not going away....
btw this is my third and the last z. '( this car is a piece of S**t ) I was torn between an 06 red vette rdstr 6 mt or this piece of...S**t an 06 gray gt rdstr 6 mt ....boy did I make the wrong choice. .. Bob
Interesting first post. Were is their?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 AM
ZmaXimus

Its official, no more oil consumption for me. Hand built from Japan corrected the issue.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 PM
dbasal

Its official, no more oil consumption for me. Hand built from Japan corrected the issue.
Another satisfied customer!

Well, ok, not exactly I am sure, but at least the problem no longer exists and you can enjoy the car without having to get OCD over constantly checking your oil.

The OCD is better used by trying to get more and more HP and TQ.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion