Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Wheel bearings anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:27 AM
jt14894

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearings anyone?

I posted this on another forum, but I just wanted to share this just in case any of you may be experiencing something similar.

During the summer of 2005, I started noticing a pulsating sound as if something was caught in the tread. I wasn't very loud, but it caught my attention.
I thought that maybe I had a nail in one of my tires, but there was no decrease in PSI and I visually checked each tire to make there was nothing there so I let it pass in the hopes that it would eventually go away.

As time went by, the noise progressively got louder and louder.
It thought it might have been the feathering returning again so I went and got it checked.
There was feathering on the inside tread of the right front tire, and with a little showing up on the left, so I went ahead and got a wheel alignment and replaced the two front tires.
I was hoping that would take care of the noise, but it didn't do anything, except recorrect the feathering, because the sound was the same as it was before.

Unlike the feathering, which the noise occurred at low speeds or when slowing down, the faster I go the faster and louder the whoomp, whoomp, whoomp, whoomp, whoomp, WHOOMP, WHOOMP, WHOOMP, WHOOMP.......!!!!
When I'd get to highway speeds, it would be loud enough that I'd have to lightly turn up my stereo to drown it out.
And whenever I make a left or right turn, or go around a curve, the WHOOMP!! WHOOMP!! WHOOMP!! is really noticable.

I did some research and began to suspect that the noise was a result of the bearing going bad on the right front tire so then I took it to a local Z member's auto shop and he confirmed it.
Apparently, the seal had worn and the grease had seeped out thus causing the noise which I had been hearing get louder and louder and louder.
He got a new replacement part, installed it, and now the noise is completely gone!!! WOO HOO!!!

Its been a long time since I heard nothing, but the sound of a quiet ride. I can actually hear a pin drop.
Usually, a part like this will last a long time so it was puzzling that something like this would go bad after racking up just under 37,000 miles.
He's not sure of the cause, but he suspects it might be an after effect as a result of feathering due to the alignment, toe, and camber being off or set they way they were. Who knows!

Anyway, this is just an FYI.
Hopefully, this isn't happening to any of you.

JT

Last edited by jt14894; 01-04-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts

There have also been discussions about wheel bearing failures on the autocross/road racing section. The Zs wheel bearings are sealed units, but their design tolerances may get overloaded depending on how heavily they're stressed. Sounds like your issue may have been a manurfacturing defect (how many miles were on your Z?)
Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 PM
jt14894

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
There have also been discussions about wheel bearing failures on the autocross/road racing section. The Zs wheel bearings are sealed units, but their design tolerances may get overloaded depending on how heavily they're stressed. Sounds like your issue may have been a manurfacturing defect (how many miles were on your Z?)
I had it replaced at 36,953 miles.
I don't drive my Z very hard and I've never driven it on any type of autocross or track so its strange that it would do that at such low miles.
Your suspicion could be right.
I'm just glad that the noise is gone.
Hopefully, that will be the only and last time that ever happens.

JT