Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 touring might need new tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
evolved326

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got my car back today! Runs like a champ. Parts came in this morning and they had it done by 3.

The clutch feels alot softer than before but at least it feels consistant.

It seems to be whining alot now from the tranny. Especially when cold. Its so bad that I can barely hear the cool exhaust sound. Some say this is normal. What do you guys think?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
VeeTec

Not normal if it is loud. A little high pitch whine is normal.

I'm glad the clutch works right though.

I am going to take mine in tomorrow, but they will probably have to order the clutch.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
evolved326

Originally Posted by VeeTec
Not normal if it is loud. A little high pitch whine is normal.

I'm glad the clutch works right though.

I am going to take mine in tomorrow, but they will probably have to order the clutch.
Well, when its cold, the whine and the exhaust is 50/50. If anything its louder than the exhaust. I used to love driving it with the windows down to hear the exhaust, but tonight, prefered the music up to drown out the whine.

The whine started when they replaced my master cilynder the first time. Does this sound right?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:53 AM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by evolved326
Well, when its cold, the whine and the exhaust is 50/50. If anything its louder than the exhaust. I used to love driving it with the windows down to hear the exhaust, but tonight, prefered the music up to drown out the whine.

The whine started when they replaced my master cilynder the first time. Does this sound right?
In short, no... IMO. I'm used to hearing a little whine from the differential when it's cold.. but it quickly goes away unless you're REALLY paying attention in 1st gear or something. Certainly nothing that would override the exhaust noise.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Firehawk

There should not be a loud whine. Something is wrong. I bet it is the throw out bearing.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by Firehawk
There should not be a loud whine. Something is wrong. I bet it is the throw out bearing.
Yeah, but that particular part is brand new... it was just installed for him.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM
evolved326

It would be Ok if it did it from the start. But the whine did not come until they replaced the master cylinder. When driving another 07, there was a whine but no where near as bad as mine. Either way, im going to leave it for now and jsut enjoy the car. Its been away too long. =)
Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 AM
sibble

Thumbs up

(07 touring 6spd mt)

i did my first oil change the other week, since then i've been playing with it to see it's limits for turns etc.

actually ok, ive just been flat out runnin her real hard since the oil change.

ive had no problems with the clutch what so ever
actually, ive had no problems with anything thus far (2500 miles)

i took a friend for a ride in the z (he drives a z28 w/ lighter flywheel) i took it through the gears up to like 4th and he was impressed how good the clutch grabs, he thinks the clutch is probably better then his...

just my perspective of a 07 z (bought with 100 miles)

Last edited by sibble; 04-25-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Cyp

Just curious..does nissan manufacture these transmissions..or are they made by another car company?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Peak350

I talked to the mechanic I went to with my BMW today, and he said its a fairly common issue for a master cylinder to stick when it gets hot and then loosen up some as it cools (just like what our cars are doing) on some of the older BMW's. He told me to just try some REALLY high temp fluids and see if it helps.

I don't remember reading anyone actually trying that (as it could give the dealership an excuse to void the claim) but its something I am really considering giving a shot to.

My clutch has only acted up once on the street and I have trouble reproducing it, however, every launch at the track took a noticable toll on the pedal feel.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:11 PM
arejohn

IF the fluid boils that clutch must really get hot. Try synthetic fluid but check the book first for type.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Peak350

I'm just curious if the guys who have had the issues investigated have found solutions, or if the parts were just that.

I talked to a Tech who said it was common on some Sentra's but he hadn't seen it on a Z yet. I'm going to take mine next week - easy way to reproduce it is to slip the clutch against the ebrake for a couple seconds, then do a hard acceleration run. That way the clutch is warm going into it and you don't have to fight conditions and flog it for a while.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by Peak350
I'm just curious if the guys who have had the issues investigated have found solutions, or if the parts were just that.

I talked to a Tech who said it was common on some Sentra's but he hadn't seen it on a Z yet. I'm going to take mine next week - easy way to reproduce it is to slip the clutch against the ebrake for a couple seconds, then do a hard acceleration run. That way the clutch is warm going into it and you don't have to fight conditions and flog it for a while.
Mine only had the issue after sitting still for a while (like overnight).
Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Mansmind

Update:

I got a call yesterday morning from the Service Manager. All the needed parts showed up. Ironically I was at Forged getting an exhaust and coilovers installed.

I took the car in earlier today. Supposedly there are several people from the plant in TN that drove down to take a look at mine, as well as another one have the same problem in Gwinett (near here).

Theoretically I'll have the car back tomorrow afternoon. I talked to the service manager again today...he's going to give me a call when they have it pulled out so I can take a look at it.

FWIW.. I haven't had the issue since the day after (or so) I picked it up from the dealer after taking it in a while back (2-3 weeks).

John
Old 05-20-2007, 01:17 PM
xNeo

Last night I was driving home from my gf's Dad's house, and it was raining out so I was taking it real easy, even more so than I usually do. The drive is 90% highway, and I had it in 6th the entire time going about 60-65. As the exist approach I down shifted into fifth, and when I let off the clutch pedal came back up with my foot but not all the way...it stopped what seemed to be right after the engagement point. So the car did down shift into fifth but the clutch seemed to be pressed down 1/2 way not all the way to the floor. I got a little nervous. I went to down shift to fourth, and I only had to press the clutch in like 1-2 inches and the same thing happened. I yelled "WTF" and my gf now is getting a little scared, then I remember this thread and put my foot under the clutch and pushed up...it popped back up immediately. This thread saved me a whole lot of grief, I'm still a fairly inexperienced at MT so I panicked.

I wanted to say thanks for bring this issue up, because being inexperienced and all I could have panicked a lot worst and possibly lost control of the car.

Now I'm just over 1200 and bringing her in for an oil change Wed or Thur what should I mention to them about this? Should I tell them to look at it and give them a link to this forum? lol
Old 05-20-2007, 02:56 PM
evolved326

Originally Posted by xNeo
Last night I was driving home from my gf's Dad's house, and it was raining out so I was taking it real easy, even more so than I usually do. The drive is 90% highway, and I had it in 6th the entire time going about 60-65. As the exist approach I down shifted into fifth, and when I let off the clutch pedal came back up with my foot but not all the way...it stopped what seemed to be right after the engagement point. So the car did down shift into fifth but the clutch seemed to be pressed down 1/2 way not all the way to the floor. I got a little nervous. I went to down shift to fourth, and I only had to press the clutch in like 1-2 inches and the same thing happened. I yelled "WTF" and my gf now is getting a little scared, then I remember this thread and put my foot under the clutch and pushed up...it popped back up immediately. This thread saved me a whole lot of grief, I'm still a fairly inexperienced at MT so I panicked.

I wanted to say thanks for bring this issue up, because being inexperienced and all I could have panicked a lot worst and possibly lost control of the car.

Now I'm just over 1200 and bringing her in for an oil change Wed or Thur what should I mention to them about this? Should I tell them to look at it and give them a link to this forum? lol
I would definately tell them about it. There is more than one issue with this on the 07s. LEt them know and take them on a test drive to show your point. Or, wait till it gets worse so you can reproduce it for them easier. I hope Nissan comes up with a fix soon though and not jsut replacing it with the same part.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by Peak350

It seems like that's a really easy way to ruin your clutch. I don't know much about cars, but that can't be good.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Kingofvacuity

So my Z, its a 2006 SS Enthusiast. Everytime i drive it my first and second gear keep on getting really hard to shift into, but when i stop at a light they are light as a feather. I want to go to the track this weekend but i've been rethinking it now that i have that problem. I googled this problem and i found out this is a common problem and i'll probably have to get new tranny and possible new clutch if i get new clutch should i just get the JWT one?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:59 PM
xNeo

Originally Posted by evolved326
I would definately tell them about it. There is more than one issue with this on the 07s. LEt them know and take them on a test drive to show your point. Or, wait till it gets worse so you can reproduce it for them easier. I hope Nissan comes up with a fix soon though and not jsut replacing it with the same part.

Since last night I have not been able to reproduce, I think I'm going to mention it to them and see what they have to say. Maybe Nissan has sent them info about the it?

Quick Reply: 2007 touring might need new tranny.