Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 touring might need new tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 AM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was definitely the slave cylinder... It was leaking under the car as it was towed away.

FYI-
The clutch master cylinder is located on the firewall typically next to the brake master cylinder and its primary function transfer the clutch pedal pressure to release the clutch. You will know if the clutch master cylinder is failing if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal and the pedal slowly goes to the floor. The clutch master cylinder also has a reservoir that holds the fluid used in the clutch hydraulic system. If you decide to change the clutch master cylinder it is a good idea to also get a clutch slave cylinder at the same time, as both units typically fail around the same time. Make sure that you always flush the clutch hydraulic system every time you flush the brakes. Water is the enemy of the clutch master cylinder and if you dont flush the fluid, you will get rust in the clutch system causing the clutch master cylinder to fail. The clutch slave cylinder is located typically on the clutch bell housing on the transmission and its primary function is to disengage the clutch when you depress the clutch pedal using hydraulic pressure. If you decide to change the clutch slave cylinder it is a good idea to also get a clutch master cylinder at the same time, as both units typically fail around the same time. Make sure that you always flush the clutch hydraulic system every time you flush the brakes.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
evolved326

Originally Posted by quidproquo
I was definitely the slave cylinder... It was leaking under the car as it was towed away.

On your 07 or your Eclipse?

NVM, the eclipse

Last edited by evolved326; 04-11-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 PM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Originally Posted by evolved326
On your 07 or your Eclipse?

NVM, the eclipse

the eclipse... This happened after only 1.5 years of ownership.... approx 10k miles.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Mansmind

I just picked my car back up. Talked with the service manager... no point in my car sitting there waiting on Nissan to get their act together. He's ordering the parts w/o Nissan's go ahead just to get the process going faster.

Apparently one of the Nissan engineers wants to make a trip to actually look at my car and the issue. So mine will be back in when the parts arrive and/or the engineer schedules his visit.

I called Nissan customer care for the first time today. Gave them a little hell for not allowing the dealers to make the call on warranty repairs (they apparently have to get an ok from Nissan). The person I talked with hadn't heard of the issue yet. I told her to stay tuned.. she would be hearing plenty about it soon.

Evolved...can you hear the throwout bearing when sitting in neutral? I can hear mine. I've read that the 350 is known for "drivetrain noise", but I've already let the dealer know that it doesn't sound right to me. The tech agreed btw.

It won't matter, the slave and throwout are part of the same assembly, was just curious as to what you hear.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
TomatoEvo

Man, I really hope this gets figured out.

I've been keeping up with your story since day one and I just want to say thanks for keeping us informed.

This has certainly put my plans for a new Z on hold. Btw, I tried really hard to duplicate your issue on my last test drive and I just couldn't, I'm sure I wasn't doing it right. Still, Im not signing a check over until this is figured out but damn I want one bad.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
evolved326

Originally Posted by Mansmind
I just picked my car back up. Talked with the service manager... no point in my car sitting there waiting on Nissan to get their act together. He's ordering the parts w/o Nissan's go ahead just to get the process going faster.

Apparently one of the Nissan engineers wants to make a trip to actually look at my car and the issue. So mine will be back in when the parts arrive and/or the engineer schedules his visit.

I called Nissan customer care for the first time today. Gave them a little hell for not allowing the dealers to make the call on warranty repairs (they apparently have to get an ok from Nissan). The person I talked with hadn't heard of the issue yet. I told her to stay tuned.. she would be hearing plenty about it soon.

Evolved...can you hear the throwout bearing when sitting in neutral? I can hear mine. I've read that the 350 is known for "drivetrain noise", but I've already let the dealer know that it doesn't sound right to me. The tech agreed btw.

It won't matter, the slave and throwout are part of the same assembly, was just curious as to what you hear.
I dont know if you read my entire post, but sounds like deja vu for me heheh. I also took the car home and drove it back when their guy from Nissan came out hehe.

Well I do hear a noise. But I am not sure if it's the throw out bearing. I always thought it was the "chatter" everyone talks about so I thought it was normal. What does the throwout bearing sound like?

Also, make sure they change pressure plate and fly wheel. They call it the entire "clutch assembly". My mech found heat rings (think thats what he caled it). He said it as due to the clutch not performing correctly.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Mansmind

Update:

Got an email from the service manager this morning. The following parts will be replaced:

reservoir
master cylinder
slave cyclinder
flywheel
pressure plate, etc. (entire clutch assembly)
all hydraulic lines
throw-out bearing, etc.

Why? They really do not understand what the issue is. The engineer wants to take the parts from my car for investigative purposes. They will probably be installed in a test car or something.

I asked the service manager to check the cost difference between the standard clutch vs. nismo components. I may opt to get the heavier duty clutch once I get the details. I would only be reponsible for the amount over the standard parts.

When the parts arrive (no date as of yet), the engineer will be on-hand for it. I'll take the car back in when it all arrives.

John
Old 04-12-2007, 12:24 PM
davidf

And the tranny saga continues. 4 years and still problems.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 PM
6894kevin

John, Good luck to you man, and thanks for keeping us up to date on your situation.
I would also give them hell for oil changes and maybe some other perks like discount on nismo parts etc....

Let's us know what else happens

Cheers

And be careful

Kevin
Old 04-12-2007, 03:00 PM
evolved326

Update:

Got an email from the service manager this morning. The following parts will be replaced:

reservoir
master cylinder
slave cyclinder
flywheel
all hydraulic lines
throw-out bearing, etc.

Why? They really do not understand what the issue is. The engineer wants to take the parts from my car for investigative purposes. They will probably be installed in a test car or something.

I asked the service manager to check the cost difference between the standard clutch vs. nismo components. I may opt to get the heavier duty clutch once I get the details. I would only be reponsible for the amount over the standard parts.

When the parts arrive (no date as of yet), the engineer will be on-hand for it. I'll take the car back in when it all arrives.

John

Your service guys are better than mine. I have to call them everytime I want info. And when I do call, the service writeup guy hasnt a clue WTF hes talking about. Garden Grove Nissan < DIE
Old 04-12-2007, 03:03 PM
boostintt

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evolved326
After replacing the master clutch cylinder, the tech guy says my car might need a new tranny. The clutch loses pressure and at times sticks to the floor. For you guys with an 07 go on the freeway anf try to acelerate hard in 6th. Then after a while feel your clouch and see if it sinks.

Corporate made him and me go in another 07 on the lot to reproduce the problem and the tech guy said it was kinda doin it but not as much. So maybe its on all 07's, maybe not.

Ill let you guys know what happens...

i dont understand why a car company cant put a reliable tranny on their sports car... it just sickens me...
Old 04-12-2007, 03:34 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

tell them to give u a new car instead of taking all those parts out
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
TR600HT

My car did the clutch sticking on the floor today. I was accelerating in first pretty hard on the freeway on-ramp. It's a 2007 Enthusiast with about 1300 miles. I'm going to wait and see what happens with you guys.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:29 PM
foochdawg

Was there any warning signs before your clutch stuck to the floor?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Peak350

I haven't been able to replicate it yet, but with my luck, gimme a week and I'll be posting the opposite.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
foochdawg

I'm a little over 1300 miles and thought I was in the clear because the clutch feels as hard as my '05 and no issues yet. But after the post about 1300 miles and it stuck, I'm worried lol
Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
VeeTec

Update:

reservoir
master cylinder
slave cyclinder
flywheel
all hydraulic lines
throw-out bearing, etc.

John
What dealer is this?

Sutherlin told me they would replace mine, I just have to drop it off.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
RaptorZ

I've been rattling since about 350 also...no sticking issues yet...i'm at 1700 miles
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by VeeTec
What dealer is this?

Sutherlin told me they would replace mine, I just have to drop it off.
Carriage Nissan in Gainesville, GA. So far, I highly recommend them. Ross (mechanic) seems very intuitive and obviously knows his stuff.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by RaptorZ
I've been rattling since about 350 also...no sticking issues yet...i'm at 1700 miles
Yeah I've been listening to mine since the beginning. It MAY be normal, but certainly not normal in my experience with manual transmissions (clutches).

Quick Reply: 2007 touring might need new tranny.