Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 touring might need new tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
only350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there any other 2007 owners with the same problem and how do you replicate this problem? Just curious, cause if I'm gonna get a 2007 model, I would hate to have clutch issues...
Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 PM
evolved326

Mine is under regular driving. If I am on the freeway cruising, it does it. If I accelerate 65-75 ( not hard by any means), you feel it more. In the city, When I accerate from a light, ( not hard by any means) it does it.

Ive driven it for a day and know how to reproduce it perfectly. For any of those still in question:

I broke it in right.
I drive normal (leaning towards babying it).
I know how to drive stick.
I don twant Nissan to give me a free new car for no reason.

Funny how when **** liek this happens, fellow forum members liek to jump on the acusations wagon. Sheesh! I LOVE(ED) MY BRAND NEW 07 Z jsut read my previous posts.

God forbid a 350Z is having tranny issues! I should have read up on all the 350Z tranny swaps before I bought mine. **** me.

Last edited by evolved326; 03-28-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:02 AM
VeeTec

This isn't a transmission problem, it's a clutch design problem imo.

My 2004 never did this, ever, even with several hundred track passes.

I think Nissan should have R&D this one a little more before it's release, but I am guessing that running behind caused an oversight.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Firehawk

Originally Posted by jr662
So if you replace with the clutch disc with a more "high performance" aftermarket one this should fix the problem for good right?
No, this has nothing to do with the clutch disc.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Firehawk

Originally Posted by evolved326
Well the service advicoe told me the clutch assemby is on back order here in america and they have to get it shipped in from Japan.

He told me that the Clutch assembly includes everything but the gears in the tranny. He says it should have a new salve cylinder as well. Guess it'll be in the shop till next week. =(
What a bs response. So it includes everything inside the tranny other than gears? Like shafts, syncros, bearings? I doubt it. Like I said, it is just the disc, pressure plate, etc. Call another dealership's parts department, or even the same one and check the availability of a clutch kit (to verify their story)and what it includes (don't say who you are, etc.). All you are going to need is a slave, ask if they have that, too. Changing the slave is super easy, as it is normally held in by two bolts, and then the line. I can swap them in fifteen minutes, and then a few more to bleed.

Another thing to ask is if the slave and clutch are the same for 2007 and earlier (parts dept should be able to verify this easily). I bet the clutch parts are the same other than the master/slave, and even those will likely be interchageable.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 AM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

I urge anyone who is experiencing this problem to file a complaint with the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigations.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

This way, someone other than Nissan will know of the problem. Hopefully, presure from the NHTSA will cause Nissan to do a recall rather than just fix the problem on a case by case basis.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
cellude

What this issue needs is some media coverage, then Nissan would be more proactive about this problem which is a safety issue. All it takes is for one person to get hurt in a car wreck cause by this stuck clutch pedal, which is sad that it has to be that way.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 AM
evolved326

Originally Posted by Firehawk
What a bs response. So it includes everything inside the tranny other than gears? Like shafts, syncros, bearings? I doubt it. Like I said, it is just the disc, pressure plate, etc. Call another dealership's parts department, or even the same one and check the availability of a clutch kit (to verify their story)and what it includes (don't say who you are, etc.). All you are going to need is a slave, ask if they have that, too. Changing the slave is super easy, as it is normally held in by two bolts, and then the line. I can swap them in fifteen minutes, and then a few more to bleed.

Another thing to ask is if the slave and clutch are the same for 2007 and earlier (parts dept should be able to verify this easily). I bet the clutch parts are the same other than the master/slave, and even those will likely be interchageable.
HAHA yes he literally said that. It includes everything but the "gears".
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Firehawk

Originally Posted by cellude
What this issue needs is some media coverage, then Nissan would be more proactive about this problem which is a safety issue. All it takes is for one person to get hurt in a car wreck cause by this stuck clutch pedal, which is sad that it has to be that way.
Its not that much of a safety issue. If you can't control a car when it is in nuetral, you don't need to be drving. Media coverage over something like this is an overreaction.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Firehawk

HAHA yes he literally said that. It includes everything but the "gears".
If you have this place do the work, tell them you want to see the old parts. And take a pic.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 PM
evolved326

Update:

Well my car is still in the shop. Today they told me they cannot locate a new clutch assembly. The slave cylinder cannot arrive until the 20th of this month. The rep is goin gto talk to my dealership again tomorrow. They said the patrs are new to th 07 because of the higher power output.

My tech guy said they were talkin about giving me a new car. Sounds like a lemon to me =(
Old 04-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that would be a good deal! -- Provided the new one isn't crap too.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
arejohn

Default Clutch

Originally Posted by plumpzz
If you gun it in 6th at a low speed, ofcourse the clutch is going to heat up..

Only if it is slipping. And if it's slipping it ain't right.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:22 PM
VeeTec

Update:

Well my car is still in the shop. Today they told me they cannot locate a new clutch assembly. The slave cylinder cannot arrive until the 20th of this month. The rep is goin gto talk to my dealership again tomorrow. They said the patrs are new to th 07 because of the higher power output.

My tech guy said they were talkin about giving me a new car. Sounds like a lemon to me =(

The new car will have the same issue. I have driven two others, and the clutch feels the same.

Nissan, wake up and correct your mistake.

I'm sure my dealer would replace mine, but a redesign is what's needed. This reminds me of my Armada's brake fix. It took Nissan about a year to recall the brakes, which had rotors that were too small, and couldn't handle the pressure, which ended up causing them to warp.

After the brake fix, which included larger rotors, not one problem. This will be a waiting game, while customers start complaining about the clutch pedal dropping to the floor under power.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:46 PM
KManZ
Banned

Like others have stated, it sounds like the Slave Cylinder. Something similar, but more drastic, happened in my Prelude. I go out one morning, push the clutch to start the car, and it sticks to the floor and doesn't come back up. The car started fine, but I couldn't go into gear.

After some research, I work up the ***** to switch out the slave cyl (I am not exactly super mechanic, but I can follow directions in a Helms). Done and done, and the problem was resolved I think someone told me once (may be incorrect) that the master cyl controls the descent of the clutch (pushing to the floor) and the slave cyl controls the ascent (back to top).... or at least, thats how you diagnose when you have a clutch pedal issue

Man, I severely HOPE that this is not chronic to all 07's I am looking to purchase within the next month or two!!! Please be the slave cylinder, please be the slave cylinder...
Old 04-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Ztalker

Update:

i'd take another car and have them throw in an extended warranty with unlimited free oil change for your inconvenience.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
foochdawg

I have an '07 and mine has been nothing but perfect, 1300 miles and still going strong and the clutch kind of wore in. I really can't tell the difference between the '05 and the '07 clutch feel now. Everything seems fine and LOVING the new power.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:32 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My revup stock clutch stuck to the floor all the time. Trying to take off fast into traffic, i was almost killed because of the clutch getting stuck to the floor. This happend sevral times a week. I told the nissan people about it, they said it was from racing, go figure. The people that say its clutch line is BS. I have a JWT clutch now with the stock line and it has never got stuck. The stock clutch is complete junk.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
evolved326

Well my tech doesnt really know what to do about this and he seems simpethetic. He told me to call consumer affairs to take the next action. A rep will be coming to look at it on monday. Funny thing consumer affairs said "he'll come and see if you need a new.........way of solving this." She caught herself and starting giggling. I dont want a new car =( I want my baby back =(
Old 04-05-2007, 03:29 PM
6894kevin

That sucks man, i hope they get this worked out for you.
My 07 should be hear in a few more weeks, GOD i hope this isn't an issue on all of them.

Cheers

Kevin

Quick Reply: 2007 touring might need new tranny.