Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 touring might need new tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
evolved326

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk
This should be an easy problem to fix. Sounds like they are not even trying.

Thats what I was thinking too. Untill the guy today gave up on it too hehe. Its not the master, its not air in the lines, he says he doesnt think its the slave. I dunno. Wish it was easy to fix too =(.

And I wouldnt worry about 07s. Theres lots of guys on here that have them and they dont seem to be having my problems...

VQHR FTW!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Firehawk

Originally Posted by evolved326
Thats what I was thinking too. Untill the guy today gave up on it too hehe. Its not the master, its not air in the lines, he says he doesnt think its the slave. I dunno. Wish it was easy to fix too =(.

And I wouldnt worry about 07s. Theres lots of guys on here that have them and they dont seem to be having my problems...

VQHR FTW!!!
Well, it is either going to be the slave or the pressure plate. Thats all that is left. My money is on the slave. Also check the routing of the line to the slave and make sure it is not too close to the exhaust.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Ztalker

www.lemonlawamerica.com

www.lemonlaw.BBB.org

it only takes two failed repair attempts for lemonlaw to apply in Cali if safety related. In your case, it definitely is safety related. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Firehawk

Originally Posted by Ztalker
www.lemonlawamerica.com

www.lemonlaw.BBB.org

it only takes two failed repair attempts for lemonlaw to apply in Cali if safety related. In your case, it definitely is safety related. Good luck.
don't lemon law something so easy to fix. You just have to find someone willing to try. Sadly, many techs, even fully trained ones, are no good at problem solving anything they have not seen before. I problem solve stuff all the time and understand how and why parts on cars work, which is why this seems so simple to me.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Ztalker

don't lemon law something so easy to fix. You just have to find someone willing to try. Sadly, many techs, even fully trained ones, are no good at problem solving anything they have not seen before. I problem solve stuff all the time and understand how and why parts on cars work, which is why this seems so simple to me.
i'm sure its simple to you...... folks like you are an asset to this forum.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
evolved326

Trust me, I wish you are my mechanic (no sarcasm). As a computer guy, I can fix anything and feel sorry for the dude that gets his computer fixed at frys or CompUSA. Most people DO NOT CARE! I know what you mena but in my case I cannot do much. Im not good with cars.

I have told both dealers about my suspisions about the slave. I have brought up what someone said eariler about the preasure plate not releasing all the way and the fluid boils. I do not want a new tranny! I do not want a new car!

But right now im against the wall jsut HOPING that the rep tomorow will jsut say its the slave and then they replace it and its awesome again. Then ill be happy.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Firehawk

Trust me, I wish you are my mechanic (no sarcasm). As a computer guy, I can fix anything and feel sorry for the dude that gets his computer fixed at frys or CompUSA. Most people DO NOT CARE! I know what you mena but in my case I cannot do much. Im not good with cars.

I have told both dealers about my suspisions about the slave. I have brought up what someone said eariler about the preasure plate not releasing all the way and the fluid boils. I do not want a new tranny! I do not want a new car!

But right now im against the wall jsut HOPING that the rep tomorow will jsut say its the slave and then they replace it and its awesome again. Then ill be happy.
I understand. The incompetence of dealerships (and the warranty hoops to have to jump through) and shops in general is one reason why I opened my own shop. I won't even bother taking my roadster in for warranty work, too much that they could screw up, and I will gladly eat the cost of parts to avoid these silly hassles.

Keep us informed, I am sure this can be sorted out. I see no reason why they need to get a rep involved for a slave issue.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Ztalker

I understand. The incompetence of dealerships,
too much that they could screw up
true...i wouldn't even let them change my oil these days after they overfilled my SUV by more than two quarts of oil last time.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 PM
evolved326

Im not doing crazy launches or anythin gbut this is kinda odd:

https://my350z.com/forum/drag/257008-my-initial-07-track-impression-video.html

"Something else I noticed on the first pass was that the clutch felt soft, and slipped a bit in the high gears. On the next run I did two quick tire cleaning spins. I then launched the car at 4K rpms, and upon doing so the clutch pedal would not come off of the floor, so I had to let off quickly and abort the pass. This was VERY disappointing as the 04 had never done this. When I let up on the gas the clutch popped back out."

"There is no doubt that the 07 is much stronger than the 03-06, but mine seems to have a clutch issue, which I will have addressed this week. It still gets soft entering the highway, by 3rd gear. "

"I gave up after a few passes as the clutch just would stick to the floor on the launch, so it was a limited event for the 07, given the problems. I wonder about the clutch, and if it is just not up to the new power output, or if I just got one that is bad. I'll find out."

Last edited by evolved326; 03-26-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Firehawk

No matter how hard you drive the car or launch, the clutch pedal should never stick to the floor or become soft.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM
evolved326

I jsut called Nissan and they said I need a new clutch assembly.

Can anyone tell me what this includes? (example flywheel, salve cylinders?)

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM
jr662

If you install a new aftermarket clutch at the time of purchase...say for instance the nismo one - would this solve the '07 issue totally?
Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Firehawk

I jsut called Nissan and they said I need a new clutch assembly.

Can anyone tell me what this includes? (example flywheel, salve cylinders?)

Thanks!
Typically it is a clutch disc, throw out bearing, and pressure plate. Unless the spring on the pressure plate is very weak, this will not fix your problem. But they might replace the slave, which should. If the clutch disc is replaced, be sure to break it in before you drive it hard.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:14 PM
evolved326

Typically it is a clutch disc, throw out bearing, and pressure plate. Unless the spring on the pressure plate is very weak, this will not fix your problem. But they might replace the slave, which should. If the clutch disc is replaced, be sure to break it in before you drive it hard.
Should I call them up and ask specifically these things? Like if they will replace the slave or not?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And this is ok with you? Definately get something done. Thats not even safe.
Mine only does this under hard driving. If anybody tried to get it looked at, most people would get something like.... The dealer would drive it like a Lil Old lady from Pasadina and would never be able to duplicate the problem or they would just lie that they couldn't.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
jr662

So if you replace with the clutch disc with a more "high performance" aftermarket one this should fix the problem for good right?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
evolved326

Originally Posted by jr662
So if you replace with the clutch disc with a more "high performance" aftermarket one this should fix the problem for good right?

I do not know?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:13 AM
evolved326

Well the service advicoe told me the clutch assemby is on back order here in america and they have to get it shipped in from Japan.

He told me that the Clutch assembly includes everything but the gears in the tranny. He says it should have a new salve cylinder as well. Guess it'll be in the shop till next week. =(
Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 PM
RaptorZ

hrmm...i don't get why there would be much heat generated...

i sit through traffic every day, and i haven't had any boiling issues...at least i've never seen any of your symptoms.

this is probably a taboo subject, but...how do you guys drive your manual transmission cars?

am i just....driving it incorrectly? i've never been formally taught...i just do it logically.

so far, i've been:

*stopped*
-clutch to the floor, 1st gear, off the brake, start letting the clutch out, light on the gas
-car starts moving, gently let the clutch out, add gas until about...2.5
-clutch to the floor, no gas, 2nd gear, add gas to stop the rpm drop at about 1.5, let clutch out all the way, add gas
-zip along, clutch to the floor, no gas, then down about...a very little bit to slow the drop, drop about 600rpm from where i was before...while shifting to 3rd, let clutch out all the way, add gas

this isn't done slowly, but...that's just what i want/plan/try to get happen

is this right?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 PM
VeeTec

The problem is only occurring under full power.

Quick Reply: 2007 touring might need new tranny.