Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ Oil Analysis and Info

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IP05G35
A UOA does not tell you everything,
That's correct, and I think this thread has been very fair to say as much.

Originally Posted by IP05G35
in fact, according to this post it doesn't say much about how your engine is really wearing and can be deceiving.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...049921&fpart=1
Really? Because in that thread, and the one it references from the TDI forum, it says:

this was covered some years ago when some Forum Members of that time were comparing lubricant performance from UOA. Then, I raised the overall relevance of UOA - and, I made the point that unless trended with an individual engine or within a family of engines and over considerable time/distance they have little relevance
Trends are exactly what we are tracking here, not individual ppm numbers of wear, and we are doing it with the same engine, not across different engines. According to this post on the site you linked, we're doing it right and using UOA data somewhat effectively.

It sounds that you have read an email from a person that you trust (Roy at Redline) saying that UOAs are not useful for comparing the wear performance of different oils, and now you are scrambling to find other like statements, to bolster your belief. The fact is, no one measurement is the be all and end all of measurements. They have to be used in conjunction with other techniques. And yes, in some cases you can correlate UOA wear measurements to engine wear and/or problems, and thereby determine the relative merits of different oils. In some cases you can not. Just as in some cases, UOAs can be used to predict failure, and in others it cannot. Chrysler engine test engineers have a very nice SAE paper on just this subject and justified the expense of real time UOAs on engines during dyno testing.
That post about sums up the whole BITOG thread.

Oil analysis is definitely useful. My thread heading was basically to grab attention to the subject. I do believe that oil analysis is detecting wear at "some" level.
That was eventually posted by the guy that started the thread. And then the thread goes on to support large oil sumps as a good means to reduce engine wear and never once touches on any facts or reports on the details of ferrography.

The thread from the TDI forum that this BITOG post references is about M1 TDT 5W-40 having better wear characteristics than Amsoil TSO in two diesel engines, based on a Ferrography report. The poster is silenced by a host of criticisms about his inaccuracy due to one sample having over 2.5 times the mileage as the other sample, and some issues with the ferrography report's accuracy since the samples didn't reflect the known contaminants (like silicon) very well because of sampling issues that are prevalent when doing a ferrography test as opposed to a UOA.

The problem with referencing a forum as evidence for anything is that unless specific data and results are being compiled and discussed, such as those from white papers, then all you are doing is citing a discussion. It might be interesting, and this one in the TDI forum was, but it is by no means conclusive. It is just a discussion with different opinions, and even though the TDI forum thread concludes that UOA data is far more useful, majority opinion does not make a discussion out to be representative of fact. Just as someone could easily find posts in both those threads that argue against UOA data, there are posts like the ones I quoted that argue for it. It is a discussion, and nothing more.

I understand that there are people who will not accept the compiling of UOA data as anything more than interesting conjecture. That's perfectly fine by me. It is not absolute by any means, but unlike the opinions and pure conjecture of the online discussions referenced above, the technique of comparing trends in different oils is has been effectively used for some time and recorded in technical papers. I referenced the following technical papers, and purchased them all to make certain I understood the theory at work, when I decided to start this sticky;

SAE paper 2007-01-1990: compares UOA data from individual engines running in a fleet of Taxi cabs, where they are running two different oils in the same family of engines, then the engines are torn down for visual inspection in an effort to determine the effectiveness of oils high in ZDDP versus the Taxis that used oils low in ZDDP. The UOA data was collected from individual cars, just as what has been done here, and trends for one oil to perform better than another were seen. The individual numbers varied from each engine, but the delta (the change in wear metals from the low ZDDP oil to the high ZDDP oil) is what was considered. High ZDDP oil did have less engine wear in the UOA's btw, and was confirmed when the engines were torn down for inspection.

SAE paper 932838: compares UOA data from two LS1 engines in an effort to establish synthetic versus mineral oil degradation based on oil change interval length. Same thing, they looked for trends to see if a synthetic oil would reduce wear over conventional.

SAE paper 2001-01-1899: compares UOA data from Chrysler V6 engines to determine if newer grades of GF-3 oils (which saw a reduction in AW/FM additives) are capable of meeting the lubrication requirements for DOHC, high performance, fuel efficient engines. This study was mentioned briefly in the BITOG discussion. Same thing, there was a pattern for one type of oil to do better than another.

SAE paper 2004-01-1963: UOA data collected in intervals from another fleet test, every vehicle having the same model of engine, and the UOA results are compared from the urban transport fleet's reference model engine to determine the effectiveness of UOA data. This test was extensive, but the conclusions speak for themselves, "wear rate has been identified as a more valuable parameter for engine wear condition, as obtained by wear concentration measurements directly obtained from spectrometry." The paper concludes that individual ppm UOA numbers and ferrography numbers are misleading, that the trends of engine wear from multiple UOA's are what should be considered.

SAE paper 2005-01-3818: Another UOA comparison paper from a Taxi fleet service, where 0W-20 and 5W-20 oils are compared. Same thing, wear rate trends between the two are what is considered.

SAE paper 981448: this paper discusses UOA data being used for evaluating oil drain periods, similar to the GM test I mentioned, only oils weren't compared, but the UOA's were found to be very useful in determining an engine's wear rate with a particular oil and when that oil is best changed out.

There are many others, including SAE papers that correlate engine wear numbers from UOA data to actual engine wear, within 10% or less variance. The "fact" is that UOA data is very useful if used correctly, like any other tool. We are not looking at the collected UOA's to see individual wear metal numbers, we are looking for trends. The average UOA sample numbers can be compared, as long as there is enough samples taken. Ryan Stark, president of Blackstone Labs, said that fleet testing usually has at least eight samples to average from one oil to get a fair picture of how well that oil does. Then they switch and get another eight samples of the new oil averaged. The trend for the average sample, for the same mileage, to go up or down is what is important. this technique is what these SAE papers represent. That is what we are doing here.

As far as ferrography testing goes, UOA testing is preferred because there is more control. This was spelled out in SAE paper 2004-01-1963. Since an ICP can only measure particles less than 5 micrometers in size, the ppm is pretty consistent with UOA because only the small particles that are fairly uniform in their suspension are seen. Regardless of whether the sample was taken from the dipstick tube or the drain. Ferrography is looking for individual particles of any size, and so where the sample is taken has a huge effect on the results. Because ferrography is not a measure of an oil's performance but used to identify where a problem with the engine lies, the results cannot be compared from two engines as a means of judging oil performance. Hence why it is done only on engines with UOA indications of extreme wear or every 100,000 miles on commercial equipment. As per the papers I referenced, UOA data is useful for seeing oil trends in terms of wear and performance, ferrography is useful for pinpointing just how severe a problem is when the UOA identifies that there is one.

The UOA data is kept in comparison charts with the average results for every oil brand and weight that has been sampled. People are encouraged to draw there own conclusions, or ignore the data. But, there is something to be said about the number of people that have switched to an oil with low average wear numbers and have also had their own UOA results improve. Guys like QuadCam, for example, might appreciate the ability to see one oil trend better results than another, and save some money in the process. Without the data, then it would just be another round of internet discussion and opinions.

Will

Edit: spelling and punctuation. I'm sure there's still some I missed.

Last edited by Resolute; 12-23-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 AM
thinking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil 10w30 ATM
Amsoil EA oil filter
1 track day
~3 autox
6 months car driven 1 day/week
1 month car driven 5 days/week
Attached Thumbnails VQ Oil Analysis and Info-oil_ams10w30_tbn.gif  
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am officially addicted to oil changes! How sad is that. I was near an Autozone today, so I picked up 2 gallons of Rotella T-Syn for my car, and 6 quarts of German Castrol for the wife's Aviator.........that sad part is that I just changed the oil in both cars over the last couple weeks......now, I have to wait 2-3 months before I can use this oil.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The UOA for the Eneos 5w-40 should be emailed to me tomorrow. I am excited to see what it will say.

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I am officially addicted to oil changes! How sad is that. I was near an Autozone today, so I picked up 2 gallons of Rotella T-Syn for my car, and 6 quarts of German Castrol for the wife's Aviator.........that sad part is that I just changed the oil in both cars over the last couple weeks......now, I have to wait 2-3 months before I can use this oil.
just drive more and the time will fly by
Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1, lol, im just itching for my next oil change, ive tried rp, amsoil, m1 and next up german castrol, rofl.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:40 PM
QuadCam

I forgot to add that I get to use my Fumoto oil drain valve next time, too. I installed the Fumoto valve on both cars during these oil changes. Next time, I get to take advantage of it!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RP->M1 0W-40 -> want to try Amsoil

What Amsoil 10W-30 are you guys using....there a couple types

Last edited by Teufel; 12-29-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:59 AM
ColoradoClark

Default Chart Request

Thanks for all of the great info in this thread. I'm still reading through all of the posts, which is certainly some dense reading material (and I mean that as a compliment).

I realize that one of the main the purposes of the thread is to collect UOA data. Having said that, the UOA Comparison Charts on the first page would be much more informative if they included the number of samples that are being averaged for each entry. Without knowing the sample size, it is impossible to judge the relative validity of the data.

Kudos to all of you for sending your oil in for analysis and to Resolute for gathering the info and sharing his knowledge and expertise with the Z community.

Sean
Old 12-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by thinking
Amsoil 10w30 ATM
Amsoil EA oil filter
1 track day
~3 autox
6 months car driven 1 day/week
1 month car driven 5 days/week
Thanks for sharing your UOA sample, it looks good. Very low wear, but then you only have 1700 miles on the sample. Even with your track day and auto-x time, this oil is good, and advertised to be, left in your car for a year. If you changed it out because it was in there seven months, then this UOA should give you piece of mind about leaving it in there for a whole year. If you changed it out to go to a different grade for winter, then you might want to run the TSO 0W-30 year-round. It's also designed to go a whole year, actually, Amsoil advertises it as a 25,000 mile oil, even longer than the 10W-30 OCI is advertised as. Just a suggestion.

Will
Old 12-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by ColoradoClark
Thanks for all of the great info in this thread. I'm still reading through all of the posts, which is certainly some dense reading material (and I mean that as a compliment).

I realize that one of the main the purposes of the thread is to collect UOA data. Having said that, the UOA Comparison Charts on the first page would be much more informative if they included the number of samples that are being averaged for each entry. Without knowing the sample size, it is impossible to judge the relative validity of the data.

Kudos to all of you for sending your oil in for analysis and to Resolute for gathering the info and sharing his knowledge and expertise with the Z community.

Sean
Thanks for the compliment!

I have wanted to put the number of samples in the chart for some time, and have not gotten around to it. I never thought this would become so popular, with over 90 UOA's collected so far. I am working on revamping the whole chart, especially converting all the SUS viscosity to Kinematic viscosity measures. I'll add the number of each sample as well.

Will
Old 12-29-2007, 08:09 PM
IP05G35

The 4.6 DOHC takes 6.5 quarts of oil, just a fyi. Check the dipstick.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Mad A

Kudos to Resolute and everyone who has submitted UOAs, this is very useful information, and allows everyone in the VQ community to choose oil based on facts and trends rather than market hype and conjecture. ( Sure saved me from wasting money on Motul!)

I am installing a JWT-tt on my g35, stock motor, should be finished in a couple days or so. Resolute, I notice in your first post you said that a UOA from FI motors would not be as useful to your trending as there are different forms of FI, different tunes etc. Does this still stand? Or are we getting enough smaples form the FI crowd to start rending at least for each type of FI kit.. I just want to know if it is worth sending in a UOA after my car is boosted.

I also had a question I was hoping someone with more knowledge could answer. I read earlier in the thread posts about mixing oils, and that generally it should not be a problem to go from dino oil to something synthetic like mobil1 5w-30.. I am planning to use Mobil1 0w-40 in my FI setup. Currently I have Castrol GTX 5w-30. My understanding is that Mobil 0w-40 is a 'full synthetic' unlike the 5w-30 weight, so would this cause a problem for me? Do I need to do a flush first or can I just drain out the GTX regularly and add in the Mobile1 0w-40?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Resolute
That VOA posted from BITOG is the old SH rated oil, and as the owner says in that post, is from a bottle that is 3-4 years old. The formula you have is newer, the SL rated oil, and as such is different. The other thing to remember, as mentioned in that post, is that a lot of the insolubles have settled out over time. Apparently, the guy didn't shake his four year old bottle before getting his VOA sample on an SH rated oil that's been out of production for the last two years.

Your UOA looks good. Too bad the leaded gasoline has contaminated the bearing wear for you, but it shows a noticeable improvement over the Motul you used last time. The higher numbers of wear metals that were seen in your last UOA have been cut in half, and the viscosity looks good. That's a nice sample, thanks for posting it. Because you're FI I won't add it to the comparison charts, but for your own peace of mind you can safely say you've found a good oil for a lot less money. Are you still using it, or are you using something new?

Will

Will,
I know QuadCam's test is a little tainted because of the lead from Gasoline. Having said that, do you think T-Syn 5W40 is better than the Mobile 0W40? Does the T-Syn has less Fe wear than the 0w40?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by athenG
Will,
I know QuadCam's test is a little tainted because of the lead from Gasoline. Having said that, do you think T-Syn 5W40 is better than the Mobile 0W40? Does the T-Syn has less Fe wear than the 0w40?

The leaded gas did throw off my lead values, but IIRC the bearing are made up of copper, lead, and tin. the copper and tin values are well in line with the oil doing it job......I can aonly assume that the lead value would have been in line with normal values too.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Mad A
Kudos to Resolute and everyone who has submitted UOAs, this is very useful information, and allows everyone in the VQ community to choose oil based on facts and trends rather than market hype and conjecture. ( Sure saved me from wasting money on Motul!)

I am installing a JWT-tt on my g35, stock motor, should be finished in a couple days or so. Resolute, I notice in your first post you said that a UOA from FI motors would not be as useful to your trending as there are different forms of FI, different tunes etc. Does this still stand? Or are we getting enough smaples form the FI crowd to start rending at least for each type of FI kit.. I just want to know if it is worth sending in a UOA after my car is boosted.

I also had a question I was hoping someone with more knowledge could answer. I read earlier in the thread posts about mixing oils, and that generally it should not be a problem to go from dino oil to something synthetic like mobil1 5w-30.. I am planning to use Mobil1 0w-40 in my FI setup. Currently I have Castrol GTX 5w-30. My understanding is that Mobil 0w-40 is a 'full synthetic' unlike the 5w-30 weight, so would this cause a problem for me? Do I need to do a flush first or can I just drain out the GTX regularly and add in the Mobile1 0w-40?
You can switch without running a flush first with no problem.

Will
Old 01-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by athenG
Will,
I'm not even going to try and nail down one oil as the "best" for FI engine. All we can see from QuadCam's UOA is that the T-Syn did better than the Motul he had in there before. If he uses M1 0W-40 then we can compare the results between it and the T-Syn for his engine.

I know that Gurgen used both the M1 0W-40 and the T-Syn, and the results in his engine were about the same. There is no way to see if that same trend is applicable to QuadCam's engine unless QuadCam does a M1 0W-40 UOA with similar mileage to his T-Syn sample.

Will
Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 AM
RKnight

If you want to use an M1 filter, then the 110 is fine to use. Honestly, I don't see a huge issue in using one filter to the next. I hate on Fram because their filters gave my old International wicked evil valve tap on start-up. Switching to another filter fixed the issue. So, I question their ADBV. Their cardboard endcaps don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about high oil pressures seen in the VQ, either. Some Nissan OEM filters don't look any better, but I don't know if they are all like that. M1 and K&N are both great, and expensive. Purolator is solid, Napa Gold filters are high quality. I don't like PureOne because the filter element is restrictive- the bypass valve opens sooner on it than others as a result.

Will
How about the Canton/CM filter someone mentioned that is larger and has no by-pass? www.cmfilters.com/spin-on.cfm

Last edited by RKnight; 01-05-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by RKnight
How about the Canton/CM filter someone mentioned that is larger and has no by-pass? www.cmfilters.com/spin-on.cfm
I really don't know. It would be interesting to see someone collect some quantifiable data on various filters, such as bypass valve pressures, and then do some testing on filtration. For the most part, I have not seen a filter stand out as the weakest link in the lubrication chain, and in keeping with the topic of this sticky- there aren't any filters sensitive enough to affect the 5 micrometer UOA measurements (except for maybe the Amsoil filter made by Donaldson), so there is no way to accurately test filter efficiency by using "x" filter and having a UOA done, and then using "y" filter and having a UOA done, and comparing the results. The only thing I would consider beyond the current crop of regular spin-on filters, is some kind of bypass filter.

Will
Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
redlude97

so Will, do you recommend the regular puralator instead of the pureone filter?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 AM
ZeeForce

I always find it curious that Blackstone says their Universal averages for the VQ are taken at 4400 miles. Are there that many people who change their oil at 4400 miles? Seems odd to me. 3000 miles has been ingrained in everyone's mind and nissan says to change it every 3750......4400 just seems like a strange amount of mileage to base their averages on.
Originally Posted by Resolute
Yeah, but most of the folks sending in for a UOA are using synthetic oils, and if you check the average mileage of the UOA's we've collected- they're all around 4400 miles, just like this last one with RP. So, I think the use of synthetics has encouraged people to go for longer than average oil change intervals, and rightly so.

Will
Q: Should I change out my conventional oil Castrol GTX 5w-30 at 3750k mi for a UOA?

This is on the other Z the 06.

Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info