Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Delete my name from the site!!!
Care to elaborate?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Resolute,

Thanks for a great thread. However, it is unbearable for me to read all 45 pages to find my answer.

So I hope you can help out and answer this.

I have 08 350z HR motor. I usually change oil and replace oil filter every 6 months or so (in spring and in fall) since I only drive the car on the weekends and put about 4K miles per year. The car currently has 8K miles. I'm planning to store my car during the winter time (about 2-3 months).

For the last two oil changes, I've used Mobil 1 filter and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30.
Now that I've stumped on this thread and found out more people are referring to use Castro Synth 5w-30 (made in Germany).

Should I continue using Mobil 1 oil and filter? Or should I switch to Castro Synth?

Do you have tests that show which oil has the best performance on HR motors?

Thanks.
There's a HR engine oil analysis thread in the HR section. As I recall, the Syntec 5W-30 had great looking UOA's from the HR engine, though there would be nothing wrong with M1 5W-30. However, the sales ad that jmark posted certainly makes buying some Syntec even more of a value.

Will
Old 10-29-2009, 04:40 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Thanks Will. I thought it was worth posting. You are basically getting a K & N oil filter free by my calculation. I was using the Mobil 1 oil filter which is the same as the K & N so I went ahead and stocked up. Autozone carries the Castrol Syntec 0W-30 as well.

Last edited by jmark; 10-29-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 AM
WhiteNoiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Resolute
No one has submitted a UOA using Edge from the VQ35DE engine in this thread, unless I missed it. So, there are no numbers for it. I doubt it would perform any better than Syntec 0W-30, but maybe someone will run a few changes with it and we'll have some idea whether it's worth the premium or not.

Will
In for any testing results on the Castrol Edge as well, Ive been running the 0-30 euro formula for quite some time now.

Last edited by WhiteNoiz; 12-04-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
WhiteNoiz

Today I emailed Castrol asking them if the Edge was better than the European SYNTEC. They sent me a generic response that said its better than any leading synthetic, "including Mobil 1 by 8x". I replied saying I didnt care about Mobil 1, I was curious if I should switch from the European SYNTEC. I basically got the same response again, I emailed back, but they are closed now.

Castrol rep. I actually pulled this response from a benz forum, but it was almost word for word what they sent me twice.

I am working with Castrol to promote Castrol EDGE and I think it is a wonderful product. Just to let you know, Castrol EDGE and Castrol SYNTEC are different formulas. Castrol EDGE contains different base oils, including PAO (polyalphaolefins), which helps Castrol EDGE meet the GM4718M specification. Castrol EDGE provides guaranteed extended drain interval protection for up to 15,000 miles, or one year, whichever comes first.* Finally, Castrol EDGE provides unsurpassed engine wear protection that no leading synthetic oil can beat.**

*Guarantee excludes severe service applications such as frequent towing and hauling, racing, dirty conditions and extreme idling. If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow your car manufacturer’s recommended oil change/service intervals, which can be found in your owner’s manual
**5W-30s tested in industry standard sequence IVA wear test

So I guess the question is, does the 0-30 have any polyalphaolefins?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=718643

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1355428

The new GC?

Last edited by WhiteNoiz; 12-04-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:45 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Ask them what base/group oil Edge is, group 3 hydrocracked or group 4 PAO.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^Ask them what base/group oil Edge is, group 3 hydrocracked or group 4 PAO.
Well from geeking out on this for since Ive gotten off work. It seems as though the German Castrol and the Edge are both real synthetics, which would be four right? 3 is hydrocracked...regular SYNTEC IMO at this point
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
Well from geeking out on this for since Ive gotten off work. It seems as though the German Castrol and the Edge are both real synthetics, which would be four right? 3 is hydrocracked...regular SYNTEC IMO at this point
Correct and that's what can be labeled as 100% Synth on bottles and not just the 'word' Synth.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
Today I emailed Castrol asking them if the Edge was better than the European SYNTEC. They sent me a generic response that said its better than any leading synthetic, "including Mobil 1 by 8x". I replied saying I didnt care about Mobil 1, I was curious if I should switch from the European SYNTEC. I basically got the same response again, I emailed back, but they are closed now.

Castrol rep. I actually pulled this response from a benz forum, but it was almost word for word what they sent me twice.

I am working with Castrol to promote Castrol EDGE and I think it is a wonderful product. Just to let you know, Castrol EDGE and Castrol SYNTEC are different formulas. Castrol EDGE contains different base oils, including PAO (polyalphaolefins), which helps Castrol EDGE meet the GM4718M specification. Castrol EDGE provides guaranteed extended drain interval protection for up to 15,000 miles, or one year, whichever comes first.* Finally, Castrol EDGE provides unsurpassed engine wear protection that no leading synthetic oil can beat.**

*Guarantee excludes severe service applications such as frequent towing and hauling, racing, dirty conditions and extreme idling. If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow your car manufacturer’s recommended oil change/service intervals, which can be found in your owner’s manual
**5W-30s tested in industry standard sequence IVA wear test

So I guess the question is, does the 0-30 have any polyalphaolefins?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=718643

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1355428

The new GC?
I'm not sure what you're looking for. Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is made by BP and blended in Germany. It is a PAO base engine oil. Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and 10W-30 are made by American Refining for BP and are blended here in the US. They are a Hydrocracked base engine oil. Castrol Edge, as it is sold here in the US, is made with some PAO base oil. It is speculated that it uses very little PAO base and is mostly a G3 base oil. This would make it similar in base constitution as Mobil1 5W-30 and 10W-30.

The question I have is, what difference does any of this really make? It could be 100% badger **** and as long as it met spec and had good UOA's no one would have an issue using it. Castrol Syntec 5W-30 isn't a PAO base oil yet it has excellent UOA results. Are you going to track the car often, or go for extended drain intervals? Even then, how do we know the base oil will need to be G4 or G5 in order to perform well? I wouldn't hesitate to take the Group 3 based Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 another 8k miles on my own car. There is so much more to an oil than its base content.

If you want to get an idea if Edge 5W-30 is at least as good as GC 0W-30 on paper, then compare some of the known indicators. What is the viscosity of the two blends? Which has the higher Viscosity Index? Which has the lower Pour Point? Higher Flash Point? Higher HTHS? That's a better place to start, imo. After that, use it for a couple of changes and get a UOA to see if it's better for your needs than GC, or even a conventional oil like GTX.

Will
Old 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM
06CPV35

Amsoil ASL 5w-30
4854 miles on oil.
Sorry scanner is down.

Had two separate labs run analysis (I'm shopping). Same oil stream filled both lab bottles at the same time. Don't know which lab to believe on some of these #'s.

Lab 1 / Lab 2:

Iron 16/14
Copper 14/9
Tin 0/1
Lead 5/4
Chromium 1/0
Nickel 10/9
Aluminum 4/11
Titan 0/0
Silver 0/0
Calcium 2576/3495
Magnesium 18/12
Zinc 907/900
Phosphorous 831/783
Barium 2/0
Molybdenum 0/1
Antimony 0/0
Silicon 21/19
Sodium 33/18
Boron 10/9
Potassium 0/2
Vanadium 0/0
Manganese */1
Lithium */0

Vis40C 57.7/*
Vis100C 10.2/10.2
TAN 2.72/*
Flash 325/*
Oxidation 56/37
Nitrate 13/24
KF 463/*
TBN 6.4/5.69
Fuel 1.25/ <1%
Soot 0/ <.1%
Glycol 0/ <.1

Aluminum 4/11; Copper 14/9. Confused which lab to believe. Help. Nickel confirms my valvetrain is failing with it's continuing upward trend from prior UOA result.

I don't expect this UOA to be used in your database Resolute. 2nd defective VQ given to me by Nissan/Infiniti and would skew your results like my OEM oil burner would have. Additionally my prior UOA on SynPower 5w-30 for this VQ with nickel at 8 for that matter. Not fair to the oils I've used. Bad metallurgy build is a bad build and not the oils fault.

Comments always welcomed though and your thoughts on why such differences between labs, including any other concerns other than nickel I should be aware of.

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Izb

I have just read all this topic! There are two UOA of MOTUL 300V, both with high level of Silicone (defective ait filter!) and high levels of wear.
That's why I am looking for UOA of MOTUL 300V with good (non-defective) air filter, with normal level of Silicone...

p.s. Resolute! Thanks a lot! You tables are very useful!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Izb

Where is my previous post?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Here is my latest...

Originally Posted by Blackstone Labs
The last of the sodium has washed out of the block, and this element is now reading in the normal range. Wear metals have also improved nicely. A trace of fuel was still present in the oil, though wear looked good and the viscosity was on target, so we doubt this is an issue. Insoluble read as the limit and may indicate the oil was overly oxidized (due to heat, us, and blow-by), and/or the oil filter was overwhelmed. The TBN 3.3, showing plenty of active additives still remaining. Try 5,000-6,000 miles next time and check back.
Attached Thumbnails VQ Oil Analysis and Info-30-dec-09.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Izb

Why there is no Valvoline SYNPOWER UOA's?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:25 AM
06CPV35

^ My SynPower 5w-30 below, but ignore the nickel. It's a bad build and not caused by oil. Previous two on that UOA is Valvoline DuraBlend 10w-30.

https://my350z.com/forum/7581935-post856.html
Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Izb
I have just read all this topic! There are two UOA of MOTUL 300V, both with high level of Silicone (defective ait filter!) and high levels of wear.
That's why I am looking for UOA of MOTUL 300V with good (non-defective) air filter, with normal level of Silicone...

p.s. Resolute! Thanks a lot! You tables are very useful!
First, it's silicon, aka Si. Second, neither UOA was high in Si. 10-14 ppm of Si is normal, especially for Motul 300V which uses some Si as an additive. Yes, they both revealed higher than average wear for some metals, especially Fe. As I have posted before, it is more important to notice trends than focus on the individual ppm numbers from these UOA's. Here is an example from Shushikiary's UOAs, who tried Motul in his Z and then switched to some oils with better average results. His own UOA results improved. Rather than worry about the ppm's though, it is more accurate to examine the delta. Same car, driver, and driving pattern and a change for the better when switching to oils with better average UOA results.

Name:  WearTrendsintheVQ.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  54.7 KB

Trying to quantify the degree of change between oils in different cars is fuzzy, and why I like to group UOA results for each blend as just being better or worse than one SD. Try Motul and trend your own UOA results if you're really concerned.

Will

Last edited by Resolute; 01-01-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Amsoil ASL 5w-30
4854 miles on oil.
Sorry scanner is down.

Had two separate labs run analysis (I'm shopping). Same oil stream filled both lab bottles at the same time. Don't know which lab to believe on some of these #'s.

Lab 1 / Lab 2:

Iron 16/14
Copper 14/9
Tin 0/1
Lead 5/4
Chromium 1/0
Nickel 10/9
Aluminum 4/11
Titan 0/0
Silver 0/0
Calcium 2576/3495
Magnesium 18/12
Zinc 907/900
Phosphorous 831/783
Barium 2/0
Molybdenum 0/1
Antimony 0/0
Silicon 21/19
Sodium 33/18
Boron 10/9
Potassium 0/2
Vanadium 0/0
Manganese */1
Lithium */0

Vis40C 57.7/*
Vis100C 10.2/10.2
TAN 2.72/*
Flash 325/*
Oxidation 56/37
Nitrate 13/24
KF 463/*
TBN 6.4/5.69
Fuel 1.25/ <1%
Soot 0/ <.1%
Glycol 0/ <.1

Aluminum 4/11; Copper 14/9. Confused which lab to believe. Help. Nickel confirms my valvetrain is failing with it's continuing upward trend from prior UOA result.

I don't expect this UOA to be used in your database Resolute. 2nd defective VQ given to me by Nissan/Infiniti and would skew your results like my OEM oil burner would have. Additionally my prior UOA on SynPower 5w-30 for this VQ with nickel at 8 for that matter. Not fair to the oils I've used. Bad metallurgy build is a bad build and not the oils fault.

Comments always welcomed though and your thoughts on why such differences between labs, including any other concerns other than nickel I should be aware of.

Thank you.
The Valvoline UOA you posted before didn't look healthy, and I attributed it to a longer break-in on your V2. Hence, I never kept it in my own database. When you brought it up as missing from the comparison table, I thought maybe I overlooked it, but looking back to it I remembered why I didn't add it. Seems I was right not to, as your engine is having some problems.

As a comparison between labs, the Cu and Al are both have a considerable difference. What I am more interested in is the oxidation and fuel, however. To be fair, I have not done either of those tests myself and am not familiar with the possible discrepancies.

As to the wear, I have talked with Ryan Stark at Blackstone a few times and I know they use the same ICP spectrometers that my city's contractor uses for soil analysis. There are discrepancies between samples, which is why a control is always needed for comparison and why the delta is the focus of the analysis rather than the raw numbers. In this case, the delta could really be skewed between one UOA and the next considering the differences in Al and Cu. Personally, this is why I like to use the same lab. It's at least one more measure of control. Whether or not the lab's results are accurate enough for any fair comparison though, is another glitch in comparing used oil analysis results. Deciding which of these two is accurate would depend on some additional information. I wonder if you sent the same samples in twice to the same lab if you would get the same variance, indicating a concentration variation in the oil rather than an issue between labs.

Will

Last edited by Resolute; 01-01-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Resolute

Robert,

M1 is always high in Fe wear for some reason. I don't know for sure why that is. I still think you are on the way to a built block, though.

Will
Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Izb

First, it's silicon, aka Si. Second, neither UOA was high in Si. 10-14 ppm of Si is normal, especially for Motul 300V which uses some Si as an additive. Yes, they both revealed higher than average wear for some metals, especially Fe. As I have posted before, it is more important to notice trends than focus on the individual ppm numbers from these UOA's. Here is an example from Shushikiary's UOAs, who tried Motul in his Z and then switched to some oils with better average results. His own UOA results improved. Rather than worry about the ppm's though, it is more accurate to examine the delta. Same car, driver, and driving pattern and a change for the better when switching to oils with better average UOA results.

Trying to quantify the degree of change between oils in different cars is fuzzy, and why I like to group UOA results for each blend as just being better or worse than one SD. Try Motul and trend your own UOA results if you're really concerned.

Will

Dear Resolute!

I have found only two 300V users in this thread.

- First UOA is http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ikiary/oil.jpg
From 21000 to 27000 miles. High wear ALL METALS (not only iron or copper or lead or aluminium) might be from lingering wear-in. Many UOA's before 30000 miles have high wear. This is next UOA of that Nissan (with cheap gydrocracking MOTUL 8100) with lower wear: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...kiary/oil2.jpg It is very interesting to look at the next 2-3 UOA's of that NISSAN.

- Second UOA is http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...tul300VUOA.jpg
High Silicone level (21 instead of 11)

That's why I am looking few UOA's of 300V with mileage>=30000 and silicone<=13. Look for example at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...rue#Post959894 (OCI=10000 miles !!!)

p.s. I Think that all Motul 8100 have group III (gydrocracked) base oils (with MSDS waste codes 13 02 05 - mineral oils). Motul 8100 X-lite, Eco-lite and Specific 506.01 also have some (<=12%) esters.

p.p.s. I wonder also about UOAs of CASTROL EDGE 0W-30 - best europian motor oil...

Last edited by Izb; 01-02-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Robert,

M1 is always high in Fe wear for some reason. I don't know for sure why that is. I still think you are on the way to a built block, though.

Will
I haven't been using Mobil1. The last 3(?) have been the Rotella.

Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info