Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ Oil Analysis and Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 PM
zloveraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Resolute
Any particular reason you're running the Nissan "ester" oil in your VQ35? Did the dealer tell you it was required for your VQ35 as well as the VQ37VE engine? Just curious.

It sheared down to a 20wt oil and dropped TBN rather quickly. TAN is high for the mileage. If it was a Group5 oil I would think the esters could be responsible for the TAN, but this isn't the case. It's a conventional base with a healthy dose of moly (wish we knew who made it and what Mo compound they used) and some ester additive, around 5% by volume of TMP esters according to Nissan's internal documents. And contrary to all the internet rumor, there is no special nano-particles formed from a-C in this oil.

As is obvious by now, your engine's not wearing in so hot, even compared to Nissan's V2 build of the ubiquitous Rev-Ups. Still, mileage is low and we'll know more after your next UOA with the switch to PU, but the relative increase in Fe and Al wear, the normal Si content, and lack of any fuel dilution make me believe a good part of this wear is lack of adequate protection from a crappy oil run for what should be a suitable OCI. If this were the new VQ37, it would be different, but this is from a regular VQ35. I hope Nissan isn't pushing this oil on Maxima and Altima guys now, too.

Will

edit: what kind of filter? (wishes Blackstone would just put a place for people to record it so it would be included on their UOA)
It was an experiment , definitely no pressure from my Nissan dealer fact is they recommend M1 if you want to go synthetic which I have no issues with. Since no one is doing any UOA's I was very curious about how it would perform. I did run one OCI on Amsoil SSO 0W30 prior to this UOA and I'm running the OEM filters with the Ultra.

I'm concerned last week I did several Dyno pulls (15) testing out a new "Y" pipe I wonder if I should do another OCI based on the wear from this UOA?

Also have you seen these filters before? http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by zloveraz; 04-09-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
jamkid

Hello all,
New member to the group although I have been reading forums for couple of months.
I was finally able to do an UOA on the dealer oil used in my 09 G37 with 15K miles. I have attached the results. Just wondering if someone could take a look and see if there is anything unusual.
I have been doing my oil changes at the Nissan dealership (bulk oil). They recommended the ester oil every oil change but I have declined so far.

Also from 15K I am currently running the new Castrol Edge 5W30 which I will be sending for analysis after 1K. After running the edge, I found the engine to be running a bit quieter but excellent during cold start ups. The ticking sound in the engine is still there but not always compared to the dealership oil. I wish one of these oil could completely mute any sounds from the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
oil analysis A g37.doc (31.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
albinobob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resolute
That looks very good. What kind of track days, drag or road course?

Will
Full day of drifting at Firebird AZ.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 PM
chris719

Hi guys,

May be picking up a 370Z soon and had a question on oil. I currently have a Z4 M roadster (which is going back ) and I have some Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 that the S54 uses left over. I was wondering if it would be suitable for the VQ37VHR? Might be overkill, as I think it's a group V like Motul 300V and Redline. Kind of worried about cold starts if I used it but it does have a -42C pour point which seems pretty good.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by chris719; 04-21-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Thought this was interesting and was worthy of posting here;

Slick Thinking: new API oil standard
by Dan Roth (RSS feed) on Apr 24th 2010 at 6:01PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/24/s...-oil-standard/

There are broad strokes that you can take toward increased efficiency. Going that route results in expensive new technology or plucking the low-hanging fruit. The other way, of course, is to optimize everything obsessively, from wheel bearings to wiper blades. Engine oil is a vital, yet unsung necessity, and it can play a big role in fuel consumption as well as its obvious task of protecting the engine's internals.

Oil is asked to do more than battle friction. It now has to hold junk in suspension for longer drain intervals than ever before and even drive the camshaft phasers on some variable valve timing systems. In light of the new requirements, the American Petroleum Institute has introduced a new rating. The GF-5 kicks in on October 1st, 2010, and the spec calls for an increased capacity for deposits and longer life, as well as a lower propensity to sludging. With the turbocharger's resurgence, GF-5's call for better protection will keep those red-hot snails from creating coal in their bearings.

How does all of this help fuel economy? Thinner oils that perform like more gooey viscosities in terms of heat tolerance and deposit control siphon off less of the engine's power. An oil pump with an easier life means an engine that gets more work out of a gallon of fuel. In the future, we're likely to see oils like 0W-20 increase in popularity as fuel economy standards tighten.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
zloveraz

Yep here is another site for the true oil geek: http://www.gf-5.com/
Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 AM
silents1ick

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

stupid questiong, but where can i buy this gf-5 oil? i tried to google it but it jus came took me to thier main website or to websites that provided info on the oil.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 PM
zloveraz

Originally Posted by silents1ick
stupid questiong, but where can i buy this gf-5 oil? i tried to google it but it jus came took me to thier main website or to websites that provided info on the oil.
GF-5 isn't particular brand of oil, it's a new oil specification that makes improvements to the current GF-4 rating.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:33 PM
RD400

The first allowable license date for API SN coincides with the ILSAC GF-5 first license date of October 1, 2010 so you won't see them for sale yet. But it could be that new oils like Pennzoil Ultra and Castrol Edge (I'm guessing on these) as well as reformulations of existing lines already meet the spec or are very close. We'll probably see new labels on bottles early this fall.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
zloveraz

Originally Posted by RD400
The first allowable license date for API SN coincides with the ILSAC GF-5 first license date of October 1, 2010 so you won't see them for sale yet. But it could be that new oils like Pennzoil Ultra and Castrol Edge (I'm guessing on these) as well as reformulations of existing lines already meet the spec or are very close. We'll probably see new labels on bottles early this fall.
Yes Pennzoil Ultra and PYB both are already labeled that they currently meet the ILSAC GF-5 specification.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Elperuano

Wow I think im gonna switch my motor oil. Im currently running RP 5w-30 on my boosted g35 rev-up model. Currently using the K&N oil filter.
Live here in South Florida and i really only drive the car on the weekends but when I do i ride on it pretty hard. What's a good recommended oil for my situation? Im leaning towards M1 or Amsoil except Amsoil gotta order and I really like the convenience of jus goin to the store n buying my oil.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Elperuano
Wow I think im gonna switch my motor oil. Im currently running RP 5w-30 on my boosted g35 rev-up model. Currently using the K&N oil filter.
Live here in South Florida and i really only drive the car on the weekends but when I do i ride on it pretty hard. What's a good recommended oil for my situation? Im leaning towards M1 or Amsoil except Amsoil gotta order and I really like the convenience of jus goin to the store n buying my oil.
https://my350z.com/forum/7738021-post872.html
Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Elperuano

Thanks for dat link. Now I know which oil Ima start using
Old 05-17-2010, 05:57 AM
BeerViper

Originally Posted by Elperuano
Mobil 1 0W-40 has been great on my boosted G.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 PM
BeerViper

Another year and another oil change! I had been holding onto this sample for quite a while since having this oil change done back in September, almost exactly a year after the last oil change and right at 3,000 miles on the oil.

I did a couple track sessions on this oil but the rest was mainly city driving and the car was in the garage when not driven (and that's a lot of garage time).

I see the lead numbers have shot way up since the last change so hopefully this goes away at the next UOA.

Name:  BlackstoneLabsOilReport20100510a.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  182.1 KB
Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
xdrius
ZL33PR

Default 3rd test results are in!

Hey Will,

Here is the latest report.

Any insightful comments would be appreciated!
Thanks!

- Forrest
Attached Thumbnails VQ Oil Analysis and Info-report.jpg  
Old 05-29-2010, 06:36 PM
CJohnson_350z

German Castrol FTW!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Doc_Z

Default Oil API recommendation

Ok so been reading up about all the new API calssifications and I'm still a bit confused as to what is best for the VQ35DE.

Read a lot of different info but what I seem to gather is that the newer SL & SM oil are increasingly designed to be better for the environment at the risk of engine protection.

Oils with high Phosphorus and Molybdenum better protect the bearings and other hard wearing areas if I understand correctly? These are typically the SH range of "old formulae" oils? SL and now SM oils have very low levels of these substances.

I just bought some Shell Ultra 5w40 and it's SM rated. Even Mobil 1 0w40 (the only one we get here) is SL/SM rated iirc.

What oil do you recommend?

summary:

http://www.le-international.com/uplo...%20Service.pdf

S – Service
SA – Utility Gasoline Engine Service – OBSOLETE
SB – Minimum Duty Gasoline Engine Service – OBSOLETE
SC – 1964 Gasoline Engine Warranty Service – OBSOLETE
SD – 1968 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service – OBSOLETE
SE – 1972 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service – OBSOLETE
SF – 1980 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service – OBSOLETE

SG – 1989 Gasoline Engine Warranty Maintenance Service – Service typical of gasoline engines in cars, vans and light trucks, beginning
with the 1989 model year operating under manufacturers’ recommended maintenance procedures. Provides improved control of engine
deposits, oil oxidation, sludging and engine wear relative to previous categories. Rust and bearing corrosion limits are the same as SF
oils. May be used where SF, SE, SF/CC or SE/CC is recommended. All of LE’s MONOLEC Engine Oils exceed this classification.

SH – 1994 Gasoline Engine Service – Category SH was adopted in 1992 to describe engine oil first mandated in 1993. It is for use in
service typical of gasoline engines in present and earlier passenger cars, vans and light trucks operating under vehicle manufacturers’
recommended maintenance procedures. Engine oils developed for this category provide performance exceeding minimum requirements
of API Service Category SG, which it is intended to replace, in the areas of deposit control, oil oxidation, wear, rust and corrosion. They
may be used where API Service Category SG and earlier categories are recommended.

SJ – 1996 Gasoline Engine Service – Category SJ was adopted in 1996 and became mandatory in 1997, superseding API rating SH
for gasoline only engine oils. It addresses improved performance in compatibility for catalytic converters, volatility, high temperature
deposits and low temperature pumpability. Usual SJ viscosities include 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30. SAE 15W-40 viscosity is
allowed but does not have to meet the phosphorus limit for catalyst compatibility since it is usually a heavy-duty diesel oil. LE’s 8800
MONOLEC ULTRA and 8410-8450 MONOLEC GFS meet the API SJ category requirements.

SL – 2001 Gasoline Engine Service – Category SL was adopted to describe engine oils for use in 2001. It is for use in service typical of
gasoline engines in present and earlier passenger cars, sport utility vehicles, vans and light trucks operating under vehicle manufacturers’
recommended maintenance procedures. They may be used where API Service Category SJ and earlier categories are recommended.
LE’s 8530 MONOLEC SPB and 8888 MONOLEC EGR Plus Engine Oils exceed this classification.

SM – 2004 Gasoline Engine Service – For all automotive engines currently in use. Introduced in 2004, SM oils are designed to provide
improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the
life of the oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving. LE’s 8530 MONOLEC
SPB, 8800 MONOLEC ULTRA and 8888 MONOLEC EGR Engine Oils meet API SM requirements. Additionally, 8530 MONOLEC SPB
Engine Oil is SM energy conserving and ILSAC GF-4 rated.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Doc_Z

This seemed interesting. Wondering if this may well be the best oil to use (once the cats are out off course)

Okay. Let's start with Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars does not?

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads.

In addition, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has a high performance dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars. (Updated December 2007)
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You're overanalyzing it. Use what the Owners Manual recommends. Change at the interval it recommends.

Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info