Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rims or Quaife LSD and Beat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Rims or Quaife LSD and Beat?

Hi,

I've been doing some searching on some wheels. But after I put my Ichiba spacers on, I'm really digging the look of the OEM wheels! So, I'm thinking about spending my "Rims" money on other mods. Since the aftermarket is so SLOW to make performance parts for the '07s, I can't really do too much performance mods.

I don't Auto-X, Drift, nor am I a privateer racer. I like to drive my car and enjoy it's capabilities. I may hit a track once or twice a year. I don't stop light race but like to have a capable car. I like nice, clear music when I drive but do not need to be heard from a block away. Furthermore, my main concern about my Base having an open LSD would be spinning out in the rain...

So, I'm stuck in a decision and would like you guys to help me decide. I've about $3k (total, which should include installation, shipping, tax, etc.) to spend on wheels, which I'm thinking on spending elsewhere. Here's what I'm thinking:
a) Rims and tires (probably 19" Axis Hiro or Sevas on Falkens or maybe even Kumhos)

or

b) Eclipse 10" sub inside a Zenclosures box with an Eclipse 700-800(ish) watt amp and a Quaife LSD

Which would you guys buy if you had a Base '07 and about $3k? Any, positive, additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated aswell.

BTW, if you feel you must reply with a sarcastic or flaming remark--I only ask that you, please, PM me your side-comments and we can argue till dawn via PMs instead of on the open forum...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 04-23-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:34 PM
deezz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the wheels/tires. I have a base and drive the same as you and don't really miss the LSD. You could probably find a good deal on the Hiros/tires for about $1500 or so used and still have money left over for your subs.

Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by deezz
I would go with the wheels/tires. I have a base and drive the same as you and don't really miss the LSD. You could probably find a good deal on the Hiros/tires for about $1500 or so used and still have money left over for your subs.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the advice. I would love to have the 10" sub, amp and with wheels and tires but 19" Hiros are about $2400, new, at wheelsnext.com with tires and when you include what the shop is going to rape me for swapping in my TPMS valves, mounting, and balancing, it'll be about $2700. Do you know of a member, link, or store that sells them for $1500?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 PM
deezz

I got my 19in. Hiros and tires off a member here for $1500. The tires still had about 85% tread left on 'em. He was local, so no shipping was involved. Don't know how much of a rush you are in, but if you can wait, I would keep an eye out for a deal on the board or try Ebay.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a older used factory lsd for 450$ from turbo toys with the axles.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Fluid1

Depends on how long you will keep the car. Selling rims will probably be easier than selling anything else....'course you probably won't hit your LSD or subs on a curb.

That being said, I would personally get the LSD and subs. Rims can come later.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Depends on how long you will keep the car. Selling rims will probably be easier than selling anything else....'course you probably won't hit your LSD or subs on a curb.

That being said, I would personally get the LSD and subs. Rims can come later.
I hate to sound cliche, but I think I'll keep this car forever. I mean, when it comes time to buy another I may just buy another and not trade this one in. Even though it is a Base model, this is a sentimental time in my life and this car is indicative of this time. So yeah...I'm planing on keeping it way after it's paid off.

As for the VLSD, I'm figuring that if I'm going through all the trouble to put an LSD in, I may aswell upgrade. Does anyone have experience with the Quaife LSD? Does it chatter, lock-up, seize, or require constant maintenance? Also, I would like the car to drive like stock. I'm looking into a LSD for traction advantages (e.g. in the rain, etc.). Furthermore, does anyone know the gear ratio of OEM Open Diffs? Does Quaife make different gearings?

Thanks.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 04-24-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 PM
tourinz

dude, get the lsd.... i have just traded mine 03 touring for an 07 base, and the lsd makes such a diference! i know that vcd had a lot to do w/ it but when i punch the gas pedal i can feel that the engine is a lot more powerful, but power is not aplyed properly to the ground and i get a one wheel spin, which sucks ***...... and cornering is so much better w/ vlsd.... bigger tires make some diference, but if you really wanna feel a diference, and not see it.... go for vlsd's....
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
cavallino33

I'd go for the LSD
Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by tourinz
dude, get the lsd.... i have just traded mine 03 touring for an 07 base, and the lsd makes such a diference! i know that vcd had a lot to do w/ it but when i punch the gas pedal i can feel that the engine is a lot more powerful, but power is not aplyed properly to the ground and i get a one wheel spin, which sucks ***...... and cornering is so much better w/ vlsd.... bigger tires make some diference, but if you really wanna feel a diference, and not see it.... go for vlsd's....
Hmmm. That's really interesting what you posted! I had VLSD in my 300ZX TT and still have it in my (wife's) RX8. I guess, since I'm still breaking in my engine, this is something you feel when you "get on it?" Which I plan to do, btw, once I hit 1200 miles.

I like how you said "feel the difference" vs. "see the difference." I've been doing a lot of "show" mods, mostly since F/I won't be available for sometime, and I am due for some "go" mods...

Anyone have experience with the Quaife?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 PM
macsboost

I have a quaife in my 03 Vortech SC base model Z. The quaife is a MUST for FI, and if you are going LSD, then you might as well go for the quaife. Its a quality part that will outlast the rest of your car, needs no adjustments or other maintenance.

I got a set of rota torque wheels and love em. The price is RIGHT and they are a sweet match for silverstone. LOL, you can barely see them in this pic. There is a quaife in there too
Attached Thumbnails Rims or Quaife LSD and Beat?-imgp0865-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by macsboost
I have a quaife in my 03 Vortech SC base model Z. The quaife is a MUST for FI, and if you are going LSD, then you might as well go for the quaife. Its a quality part that will outlast the rest of your car, needs no adjustments or other maintenance.

I got a set of rota torque wheels and love em. The price is RIGHT and they are a sweet match for silverstone. LOL, you can barely see them in this pic. There is a quaife in there too
Thanks for the input. Dude...they let you guys use dollar signs in your plates in NC? I just got your plate...That's cool!

As for the Quaife...did you need to choose from different gear ratios? If so, which one matches OEM gearing?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:48 PM
alan86

rims for sure
Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Phantom Menace

bump? anymore inputs?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:56 AM
helldorado

Given the choice between cheap, heavy rims and the Quaife, I'd get the Quaife in a heartbeat. Go with the one that will help performance.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phantom,

You sound similar to me in many ways... I wish I had an 07, LOL, but I have a base model 04.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy in this order:
1. K&N drop in filters (if they make them) for the TWINS
2. Nismo exhaust (if it fits)
3. Quafie for the base along with a 3.9FD gear set. Might as well do it right if you plan on staying n/a.

Side note: Once you get the LSD, be more careful than before in slick conditions. One wheel spinning is not a bad thing when the car doesn't come equiped with "safety" features.

Have fun...
Zquicksilver
Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
Phantom,

You sound similar to me in many ways... I wish I had an 07, LOL, but I have a base model 04.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy in this order:
1. K&N drop in filters (if they make them) for the TWINS
2. Nismo exhaust (if it fits)
3. Quafie for the base along with a 3.9FD gear set. Might as well do it right if you plan on staying n/a.

Side note: Once you get the LSD, be more careful than before in slick conditions. One wheel spinning is not a bad thing when the car doesn't come equiped with "safety" features.

Have fun...
Zquicksilver
Thanks for the post. So far, I've emailed K&N and they said that they do not have drop ins for the 2007. That was going to be my first "mod." However, now I have to wait. Also, I'm not sure about the Nismo exhaust. I've read that the Nismo is loud. I like the tone of the OEM muffler but wouldn't mind a bit more grunt at WOT or under acceleration. I don't like the constant droning sound of some exhausts at freeway or cruising speeds.

As for you comment on the gearing. That is exactly my question. What is the OEM final drive ratio on the 2007's? Is it 3.9? Furthermore, does Quaife offer different options as far as FD ratios?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by helldorado
Given the choice between cheap, heavy rims and the Quaife, I'd get the Quaife in a heartbeat. Go with the one that will help performance.
Thanks for the input. I've read some issues on the Axis but I have also read that Axis has fixed their casting "problem." I'm not really looking for "top-notch" wheels...more for the look, I guess. I really like the Nismo LGs but the cost of the wheels alone (without tires) may be my budget. I also like the Axis for the the polished lip and the 10.5" rear. What kind of wheels do you recommend, given my budget?

Thanks in advance.