Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine knocking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:11 AM
sibble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you talking about the springs in the clutch plates making noise?
(i always thought it was the springs that made noise, could be something else though)

if so that's perfectly normal...
my car does it, and so does my friend's z28 with a brand new clutch + lightweight flywheel

Last edited by sibble; 05-04-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:45 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by ST350ZEVE
What a difference a day makes. Funny that you ask, becuase I think it's related to neither feul or engine now. I think a true knock would be louder, and it's not a ping - it's something inbetween. I think it's the clutch plates. Is that possible? I may have developed some bad habbits over the years driving sub par performance vehicles. Rolling through stop signs in 2nd, downshifting without double-clutching, or even downshifting unnecessarily. I noticed yesterday that sometimes my clutch makes a funny sound when I engage it to rapidly in a down shift (going slow, but still probably not a good thing to do). The sound is similar to the "knocking". And in fact, soon thereafter is when I notice the knocking upon acceleration and eventually it stops happening until i repeat the cycle. SO - I have since modified my habbit and have been shifting smoother and probably how I should have been the whole time. And maybe being a high performance car, it lets you know when you are EFFING up? Because now, I have not been hearing it. I basically have been shifting at higher RPMs (3.5 - 4) and not doing stupid stuff and being lazy rolling through stop signs in 2nd - harsh down shifting, etc - and I see an improvement.

aren21 - you most likely are driving the car as it should be driven unlike myself! However, if what I mentioned above helps - let me know.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I will see how it goes the next couple of days and update if necessary.
The clutch noise youre talking about is normal, my car just chatters when it engages from a stop, but the knocking noise Im pretty sure (at least on my car) is spark knock aka ping.It only does it between 1-3k rpm, under light throttle. If I give it anymore than say...1/3 throttle, it wont knock..just really light throttle. I guess thats a good thing because knocking under full throttle could detonate. Also it only occurs in warmer weather...like 70 degrees and up maybe.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
cavallino33

Originally Posted by sibble
are you talking about the springs in the clutch plates making noise?
(i always thought it was the springs that made noise, could be something else though)

Maybe this is what I'm hearing. Could you describe the sound a bit? Does it sort of sound like shaking rocks in a can? I usually get just after I let the clutch out.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:11 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ST350ZEVE
What a difference a day makes. Funny that you ask, becuase I think it's related to neither feul or engine now. I think a true knock would be louder, and it's not a ping - it's something inbetween. I think it's the clutch plates. Is that possible? I may have developed some bad habbits over the years driving sub par performance vehicles. Rolling through stop signs in 2nd, downshifting without double-clutching, or even downshifting unnecessarily. I noticed yesterday that sometimes my clutch makes a funny sound when I engage it to rapidly in a down shift (going slow, but still probably not a good thing to do). The sound is similar to the "knocking". And in fact, soon thereafter is when I notice the knocking upon acceleration and eventually it stops happening until i repeat the cycle. SO - I have since modified my habbit and have been shifting smoother and probably how I should have been the whole time. And maybe being a high performance car, it lets you know when you are EFFING up? Because now, I have not been hearing it. I basically have been shifting at higher RPMs (3.5 - 4) and not doing stupid stuff and being lazy rolling through stop signs in 2nd - harsh down shifting, etc - and I see an improvement.

aren21 - you most likely are driving the car as it should be driven unlike myself! However, if what I mentioned above helps - let me know.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I will see how it goes the next couple of days and update if necessary.
Mine does it sporadically between 2000 and 3000 RPM, but I am not convinced it is an engine knock. Almost sounds like some metalic rattle, exhaust maybe?

John
Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by aren21
The clutch noise youre talking about is normal, my car just chatters when it engages from a stop, but the knocking noise Im pretty sure (at least on my car) is spark knock aka ping.It only does it between 1-3k rpm, under light throttle. If I give it anymore than say...1/3 throttle, it wont knock..just really light throttle. I guess thats a good thing because knocking under full throttle could detonate. Also it only occurs in warmer weather...like 70 degrees and up maybe.
Same thing, light throttle for me as well.

John
Old 05-04-2007, 02:41 PM
sibble

Originally Posted by cavallino33
Maybe this is what I'm hearing. Could you describe the sound a bit? Does it sort of sound like shaking rocks in a can? I usually get just after I let the clutch out.
yea hehe thats perfectly normal...

it'll happen usually almost all the time when your off the clutch and the car is in neutral...

gets louder when the clutch gets warmer, and its quiet when its cold (so you'll least hear it when you start your car up in the morning.)

and when your driving slow, you'll hear it right after the clutch engauges

i believe those are the springs making the noise, and you'll hear it even from performance clutches
the faster it turns the less you hear it becuase of the centrifical force expanding the springs (i believe, any techs chime in at any time)
so when its at it's slowest, and not engauged, youll hear the springs the most because they almost completely contracted

my friend is pretty picky when it comes to getting work done for his car, and after he put a lot of money into his clutch and he heard that noise, he played with it for like several months, asked several people, and asked 'his mechanic'... its normal

a whole lot of clutches make that noise, even bike clutches

Last edited by sibble; 05-04-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:51 PM
cavallino33

Originally Posted by sibble
yea hehe thats perfectly normal...

it'll happen usually almost all the time when your off the clutch and the car is in neutral...

gets louder when the clutch gets warmer, and its quiet when its cold (so you'll least hear it when you start your car up in the morning.)

and when your driving slow, you'll hear it right after the clutch engauges

i believe those are the springs making the noise, and you'll hear it even from performance clutches
the faster it turns the less you hear it becuase of the centrifical force expanding the springs (i believe, any techs chime in at any time)
so when its at it's slowest, and not engauged, youll hear the springs the most because they almost completely contracted

my friend is pretty picky when it comes to getting work done for his car, and after he put a lot of money into his clutch and he heard that noise, he played with it for like several months, asked several people, and asked 'his mechanic'... its normal
Oh ok. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:53 PM
ST350ZEVE

Yeah - I would have to say rocks in a can as well! And only when the car is warm - which I thought was strange. Well I am glad I am not the only one who experiences this, and that it seems to be something normal.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:11 PM
aren21

just make sure what youre hearing is the clutch chatter, and not knock. Drive in 2nd or 3rd, or any gear that your at about 1500 rpm, and accelerate slowly, with the windows down, preferably in a queit area. If you hear tapping, its probably knock. The clutch noise is only heard durring engagement, not acceleration. It doesnt always knock, sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesnt. Someone else try this and listen for the knock.