Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ls1 for the z?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 AM
702Fairlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8fe
When one is looking at $8900 for a 4.2L stroker kit for our motor, plus headers, exhaust, plus then another $7K to $8K for a TT kit, plus tune, install and everything else; I would think considering an LSx build and motor swap probably would make more financial sense and provide you more performance for your dollar -- plus provide you with a solid naturally aspirated foundation to expand on. IMHO.
+1
Old 05-14-2007, 12:52 PM
NoahzBurnt

Originally Posted by Sk8fe
If NoahZBurnt was putting in a Ferrari V8 or V10 from a Carrera GT (assuming they would fit for argument's sake), would you still have a "problem" with it or is it just because it is a GM motor? Would you have the same issue if he was putting in a supercharged 4-cam Cobra V8 or a 5.4L Blown 4-cam Dry-sump V8 from a Ford GT? GM motors race in NASCAR, Rolex Daytona Prototypes & GT class, Speed World Challenge and ALMS (and probably more racing series if I took a minute to think about it). Is the preception that GM motors have no pedigre?

Personally, I am very interested in the "trail" that NoahZBurnt is blazing. When one is looking at $8900 for a 4.2L stroker kit for our motor, plus headers, exhaust, plus then another $7K to $8K for a TT kit, plus tune, install and everything else; I would think considering an LSx build and motor swap probably would make more financial sense and provide you more performance for your dollar -- plus provide you with a solid naturally aspirated foundation to expand on. IMHO.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet if I went with a Viper V10 it would be cool....why a domestic...cause I live in America and we have lots of parts for these motors...believe it or not there is more aftermarket support for motors made in America.....if the VQ35De is allmighty then why has nissan redesigned it every 2 years?!?

For those that hate???
I have spent TONS of cash modding my Z.....i could have saved more by going with a junkyard LS1...but I picked the best block they make....let's see a VQ hold 2500 hp w/o sleeving.....lets see a VQ even come close to the 454 LSX like mine make 2000 hp on Twins like the motor GM tried selling me....aint gonna hapen guys sorry!!!!

Why would I put in an RB26...people have done it....good luck getting a water pump if yours fails....people who say Japanese cars can only have Japanese Motors....c'mon now.....what happened to free thinking....and how does it make you feel that most of these japanese motors use parts made in America....OMG....Chris Forseburg makes a whopping 305 rwhp with Jim Wolf cams on his titan motor swapped 350Z....I know this because i brokered some deals for the work done to his car.....

See I already went VQ TT, had an ATS twin plate....3" true dual, added track brembos, VDC conversion, complete custom interior, prolly 5 sets of wheels you name it....so I appreciate people opinions on this and even more-so the support....but can someone please explain to me WHY a japanese car must have a japanese motor? What if u own a corolla that is made in california? is that still an import?

Last edited by NoahzBurnt; 05-14-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Tubbs

I don't know... I think an american motor in a Z would be badass.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:11 PM
NoahzBurnt

Originally Posted by Tubbs
I don't know... I think an american motor in a Z would be badass.

so do I...I also happen to think Vancouver is badass and i must visit my friends again!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Dave@altered

Noah I cant wait to see this. You will have to bring it down here one day after it is done.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shoulda went with a B16A Noah (JK). Just keep doing what you are doing and when it is all said and done you will have one mean Z!

Hit me up if you need and one-off parts made.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Sk8fe

Originally Posted by Dave@altered
Noah I cant wait to see this. You will have to bring it down here one day after it is done.
Sounds like a good reason to have a Z meet with Noah and his 750Z as guest of honor.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Screw all the haters, I'm so happy you are doing it...i would love to do it myself but i just can't fund that kind of an operation.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 AM
Oleg

Originally Posted by turismo
I would never put a domesic motor in any import, especially in a Z. Why didnt you use another V8 Nissan motor or RB for that matter. I never understood why people did this. Why didnt you just purchase an ls1 car from the get go?
Uhh, and what do any of those engines have to do with the Z aside from the nissan emblem?
Why did you go with SFR TT and not PE since being "mad JDM-tyte, yo" is so important?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:55 AM
mpowers

Only have one word, Scarab.....

Can't wait to see it!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:10 AM
Lo$t

Originally Posted by turismo
You guys are making seem like, this is the motors of all motors. I dont care if it were an ls1, ls2, or ls7, if your going to spend that amount of time, configuring something that wasnt made for the car, why not stick with an import motor. Better yet, buy you a freakin camaro.
lol... "making this seem like the motor of all motors". I don't think you've read about the LSX yet. I think you are comparing it to a camaro engine and.. Ls1, LS2, or Ls7.. research a little and get a clue
Old 05-15-2007, 09:30 AM
IP05G35

Are you really planning on twin turbo with your LSX? You won't have traction with an NA LSX much less a twin turbo one... With just an NA LSX you can run 10's easy...
Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM
turismo

Originally Posted by Oleg
Uhh, and what do any of those engines have to do with the Z aside from the nissan emblem?
Why did you go with SFR TT and not PE since being "mad JDM-tyte, yo" is so important?

IF you researched, you would know, that I had the PE kit.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Blk03G35

Probably already mentioned but it's "Warranty"

As for installing an LS1. Eh.. Why don't you just buy an f-body? Much cheaper
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 AM
NoahzBurnt

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/255642-well-my-car-shipped-out-today.html

My warranty was voided 2 months after i got the car in 2004
Old 05-16-2007, 07:46 AM
NoahzBurnt

Guys price wise it's not that bad.....figure the whole point of this is so that you can buy the DIY kit for $3K and an LS series motor of your choice and do teh swap yourself. I am not doing this to be greedy but so that other can follow in my footsteps and spent 1/5 of what I had too.

If Hinson does the install they told me $9K for a 400 rwhp LS2 with exhaust, clutch, tremec t-56 out the door. Sell you motor and exhaust, tranny etc and you will be having 400rwhp all day on an N/A set up for the price of the GReddy kit and intercooler before install.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Sk8fe

That's what I'm talking about! Lead on Noah, lead on...

Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by 702Fairlady

RB26 (Parts are hard to come by, and people to work on them even harder)
VG30 (Iron block good for F/I, but known for being prone to many problems)
SR20 (Why would you want to go down to a 4cyl in a fairly heavy vehicle?)
2JZ (Engine puts out alot of good horsepower, but finding a good block at a decent price is difficult.)
not to mention that all of these have cast iron blocks (save sr20, not sure on this one, but if ur putting an sr20 into a z, u truly are retarded, unless its an engineering statement like tanabe did), making them damn heavy, and on top of that they all have turbo(s) attached and all of then mounted high up in the engine bay (save the vg30), in the process raising the center of gravity.

if i would ever swap in a lsx into my z, i'd do the warhawk cause its aluminum making it lighter than the iron one that noah's getting, and can still take enough abuse to put the sun to shame
Old 05-16-2007, 12:12 PM
tooskerdo

I can't wait to see it get done. I gotta tell ya. i've invested $9k in my z, and i'm dead even w/ my buddies stock 99' vette. I wish i would have known this before hand and maybe i would have done the swap! Good luck bud, keep us posted!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
Guys price wise it's not that bad.....figure the whole point of this is so that you can buy the DIY kit for $3K and an LS series motor of your choice and do teh swap yourself. I am not doing this to be greedy but so that other can follow in my footsteps and spent 1/5 of what I had too.

If Hinson does the install they told me $9K for a 400 rwhp LS2 with exhaust, clutch, tremec t-56 out the door. Sell you motor and exhaust, tranny etc and you will be having 400rwhp all day on an N/A set up for the price of the GReddy kit and intercooler before install.

wow! please let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: ls1 for the z?