Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ls1 for the z?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are referring to Performance Motorsports I think you are forgetting the amount of work that went into that block. That was not just your simple sleeving and throw 2000whp down. There was ridiculous amounts of machining and custom work that went into making that car handle that much power. I would not even go close to saying that Nissan had anything to do with that engine since that engine contains very little of the factory engineering.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 PM
warmmilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turismo
I think you need to reconsider those engines you listed. If it were far superior, show me one that has run mid 6's at over 216mph. I dont consider it superior, when these cars are doing it from 1/3 of the displacement and two less cylinders. The VQ has been pushed to over 2000rwhp as well as the rb. The fact is, Chevy had to design a block, to withstand something that came from the factory, from Nissan and Toyota. The VQ35, has been out for 4 years and has surpassed the ls1-lsx in terms of times and performance.
if u insist
http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/t-Casper-2.aspx

and here is an na running 9's, show me an na vq running 11's and i will admit my defeat

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ghlight=RECORD
(may i add that the da conditions were far from optimal, 1400+ ft)

and for the 74th time, the ls series is a far better engine for the street and for the turns than any of the others u mentioned because its light weight and can make massive driveable lag free power

if u wanna drive around a 2000 hp vq that starts making power at 7k rpm, be my guest

nobody asked u which engine superior, or even ur opinion on the swap, the op asked how much it would cost and if it would be possible

ur opinion on which engine is superior is just that, an opinion. and opinions are like a*sholes, everybody's got one, and some people are gonna get another one after getting raped by an lsx power z

and the reason they have to "make" a block to handle 2500 hp is becausethe regular ls series are aluminum, where as the 2jz and the rb are iron, and the vq that ur talking about is sleeved with alot of other tricks on it like the post above mine mentioned

Last edited by warmmilk; 05-23-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Some will turn a nose up to domestic made cars/engines regardless of objective evaluation. Value, performance and reliability are irrelavent.

Its domestic and for some thats all that needs to be known.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Some will turn a nose up to domestic made cars/engines regardless of objective evaluation. Value, performance and reliability are irrelavent.

Its domestic and for some thats all that needs to be known.

i wonder if turismo will admit to this, cause we all know he has a classic case of importitis
Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 PM
turismo

I never once denounced any domestic motor! I only stated that, there's no reason to install a domesic motor, in an import vehicle! The LS7(vette), is a remarkable motor and produces insane times and numbers. I have respect for domestic cars in general, but dont like the fact of interchanging motors.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 PM
warmmilk

ur fine with a 2jz in there, whats the difference if its a chevy motor or a toyota motor, either way its not a nissan motor
Old 05-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Situation #1: Choose motor based on what manufacturer/regional origin is excepted by the masses and spend lots of money...

or

Situation #2: Choose motor based on what you are looking for in a motor and not care what the masses say while spending lots of money...

I choose situation #2 personally. That situation includes import motors such as the RB26, 2JZ and 13B along with domestic motors. Some people are looking for a high revving turbo motor that can handle lots of abuse (RB26 and 2JZ). Some want the inline exhaust manifold on the passenger side for simplicity (2JZ). Some want the lighter motor that can rev higher and don't really car about torque (13B). NOAH wants a motor that can create insane torque down low and all the way through the power band, has lots of parts to choose from and can be a powerhouse N/A, turbo, supercharged or on nitrous while still being just as balanced handling wise as many of the other options. Seems like a game plan to me that is well thought out even if most people think its wrong.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 PM
HDPDZO6

I never once denounced any domestic motor! I only stated that, there's no reason to install a domesic motor, in an import vehicle! The LS7(vette), is a remarkable motor and produces insane times and numbers. I have respect for domestic cars in general, but dont like the fact of interchanging motors.
Besides mere bigotry, any good reason for you to feel this way?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Quamen
Situation #1: Choose motor based on what manufacturer/regional origin is excepted by the masses and spend lots of money...

or

Situation #2: Choose motor based on what you are looking for in a motor and not care what the masses say while spending lots of money...

I choose situation #2 personally. That situation includes import motors such as the RB26, 2JZ and 13B along with domestic motors. Some people are looking for a high revving turbo motor that can handle lots of abuse (RB26 and 2JZ). Some want the inline exhaust manifold on the passenger side for simplicity (2JZ). Some want the lighter motor that can rev higher and don't really car about torque (13B). NOAH wants a motor that can create insane torque down low and all the way through the power band, has lots of parts to choose from and can be a powerhouse N/A, turbo, supercharged or on nitrous while still being just as balanced handling wise as many of the other options. Seems like a game plan to me that is well thought out even if most people think its wrong.

sorry but u can't use light wieght for the 13b argument, why do u think rx7 guys swap in ls1's, they're only about 30 lb's heavier, but the high revving argument is valid. 30 lb's isn't a significant difference imo

now who's gonna swap in a b16?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Besides mere bigotry, any good reason for you to feel this way?

Yea I dont want an American motor in my Import car. Same reason why, you dont eat peanut butter with eggrolls, that shiet dont mix! lol
Old 05-23-2007, 07:47 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by warmmilk
sorry but u can't use light wieght for the 13b argument, why do u think rx7 guys swap in ls1's, they're only about 30 lb's heavier, but the high revving argument is valid. 30 lb's isn't a significant difference imo

now who's gonna swap in a b16?

13b is lighter than the ls1. The reason why they swap motors is, for the power and torque.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
HDPDZO6

Yea I dont want an American motor in my Import car. Same reason why, you dont eat peanut butter with eggrolls, that shiet dont mix! lol
The problem is that you apparently don't want others doing the swaps also.

Do you get as upset when an American hooks up with a Japanese girl?

Last edited by HDPDZO6; 05-23-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
The problem is that you apparently don't want others doing the swaps also.

Do you get as upset when an Aerican hooks up with a Japanese girl?

Hell yea. Im in the kkk, so this is a white world! White powa
Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
HDPDZO6

Hell yea. Im in the kkk, so this is a white world! White powa
Actually was meant to read, "American"

??
Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Do the LS series guys get to add huge arsed turbos like you need to do with the fully built VQ?

IMHO only here.

You think it's bad to put a domestic motor inside a Z. Even though it's weight and packaging size is very, very favorable.

I think it's funny that people want to put something like a RB26DETT inside a Z. Considering it's a discontinued engine, weighs more then Rosanne and Oprah COMBINED and is 3 cylinder LONGER than a VQ.

I think you need to reconsider those engines you listed. If it were far superior, show me one that has run mid 6's at over 216mph. I dont consider it superior, when these cars are doing it from 1/3 of the displacement and two less cylinders. The VQ has been pushed to over 2000rwhp as well as the rb. The fact is, Chevy had to design a block, to withstand something that came from the factory, from Nissan and Toyota. The VQ35, has been out for 4 years and has surpassed the ls1-lsx in terms of times and performance.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 PM
warmmilk

13b is lighter than the ls1. The reason why they swap motors is, for the power and torque.
naked yes, the 13b is lighter

both engines fully dressed, the ls1 is marginally heavier, an ls1 powered fd is only about 30lb heavier than a stock fd, and the ls1 powered have better weight distribution cause the weight is further back and lower

u forget all the stuff the 13b has attached to it