Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ls1 for the z?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:08 PM
702Fairlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turismo
Rb, 2jz is far more reliable than any lsx series motor.

An RB is a great choice for in the 350Z, but as I said before about 2 pages ago, finding people to work on them and finding parts in the US is a killer. And as for the 2JZ. I would like to see you find a good condition longblock to even start out with that isnt an arm, leg, and ******** in price.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:46 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by 702Fairlady
An RB is a great choice for in the 350Z, but as I said before about 2 pages ago, finding people to work on them and finding parts in the US is a killer. And as for the 2JZ. I would like to see you find a good condition longblock to even start out with that isnt an arm, leg, and ******** in price.
its a great motor if all u car about is going in a straight line, if u wanna preserve handling as much as u can, then the ls series is a much better fit. also a 500+ hp rb will be pretty laggy and u'll have time to take a sip of ur coffee after u floor it and when it actually takes off, a 500+ hp will take off instantly, na or fi, unless if ur going for 1000 plus hp, then there will be plenty of lag, but still alot less than an rb of the same caliber
Old 05-19-2007, 01:07 PM
widebody350

Originally Posted by warmmilk
its a great motor if all u car about is going in a straight line, if u wanna preserve handling as much as u can, then the ls series is a much better fit. also a 500+ hp rb will be pretty laggy and u'll have time to take a sip of ur coffee after u floor it and when it actually takes off, a 500+ hp will take off instantly, na or fi, unless if ur going for 1000 plus hp, then there will be plenty of lag, but still alot less than an rb of the same caliber
Not really disagreeing with an N/A having more instant power, but 500hp RBs aren't too laggy, unless you're the same kind of **** person who b*tches about a Greddy TT kit for the Z being laggy. If you know how to drive/shift then there isn't much of a problem at all with either a Greddy TT Z and 500hp RB.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by 702Fairlady
finding people to work on them and finding parts in the US is a killer. .
False. Obviously you have never worked on either motor to know..
Old 05-19-2007, 01:26 PM
JCSVT

Rb, 2jz is far more reliable than any lsx series motor.

We dont even know, what kind of dyno they were using. And as usual, the Cheby has underated there cars.
How do you figure?

It looks like both were on a Dynojet. As for the S85 vs LS7, the LS7's hp and torque curves are higher than the V10 from idle to 7000rpm. Not to mention the ability of the LS7 to easily make more power with boltons.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Frezno

Noah how long is your project going to take? I'm so confused..... I have the money for turbo(s)but just recently read about this swap and now I'm thinking about it. Please hurry....jk take your time and do it right, then if I see all is well with the transplant I'll do the same.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:39 PM
702Fairlady

Originally Posted by Zexy
False. Obviously you have never worked on either motor to know..
Ok, let me rephrase. It is hard for some people in certain areas to find parts and people. I wouldnt feel like driving 5+ hours everytime something goes wrong with my engine.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I could care less if its an American pushrod engine going into a Z.

This will make an absolute beast on the strip and road course. American muscle married to import agility. And to think that you could beat on it all day long and not have the endless misery associated with turbos on a VQ.

Sounds like a damn good idea to me. IMO this is a development project of greater value than the usual TT route. There is more uncharted territory to explore and the payoff is potentially much higher at a much better cost efficency.

Besides, the WOT exhaust note alone would be worth it. I love the sound of American V8 muscle!

So what if a few ricers at a stop light dont think its right for a V8 sound to be eminating from a Z. When they get left in the dust they may reconsider their opinion.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:49 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by Hydrazine

This will make an absolute beast on the strip and road course. American muscle married to import agility. And to think that you could beat on it all day long and not have the endless misery associated with turbos on a VQ.

Sounds like a damn good idea to me. IMO this is a development project of greater value than the usual TT route. There is more uncharted territory to explore and the payoff is potentially much higher at a much better cost efficency.

Besides, the WOT exhaust note alone would be worth it. I love the sound of American V8 muscle!

So what if a few ricers at a stop light dont think its right for a V8 sound to be eminating from a Z. When they get left in the dust they may reconsider their opinion.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:08 PM
warmmilk

finally somebody that understands

350widebody:
the lag wouldn't be that bad, but it would still be there, as opposed to no lag at all. but thats the tip of the iceburg on why an ls series would be a better engine in the z for the twisties, it all falls under weight
Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by warmmilk
finally somebody that understands

350widebody:
the lag wouldn't be that bad, but it would still be there, as opposed to no lag at all. but thats the tip of the iceburg on why an ls series would be a better engine in the z for the twisties, it all falls under weight

you to

go to bed
Old 05-20-2007, 05:24 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

If you're about image, it may not be for you.
If you fear the ricers may poke fun at you for having push rods, it may not be for you.

but

If you don't care about the ricers and simply want a powerful/agile car to get around any track faster, at a lower cost and with greater reliability, this is a logical, practical and viable solution.

To each their own.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 05-20-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
I DO NOT HAVE AN LS1

I have the THE NEW LSX!!!!

LS1 old.....LSX just released.....454 with 8800rpm redline!
A 454 @ 8800 RPM will be absolutely bad azz.

Can't wait to see this one.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:08 PM
JCSVT

A 454 @ 8800 RPM will be absolutely bad azz.
It would be but realistically the only people spinning them that high will be drag racers with solid-roller big cams and sheetmetal intakes.

A redline around 6500rpm sounds more reasonable.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:50 PM
turismo

true
Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

I agree. 6500 would be the only realistic way to make it a daily driver.

But man it sure would be something to occasionally hear 454 C.I. of displacement thundering at 8000+ RPM though.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:31 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by JCSVT
It would be but realistically the only people spinning them that high will be drag racers with solid-roller big cams and sheetmetal intakes.

A redline around 6500rpm sounds more reasonable.
he's getting a completely built motor which prolly includes solid rollers and a big cam

here is his other thread
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/255642-well-my-car-shipped-out-today.html
Old 05-22-2007, 09:38 PM
monaroCountry

Do you guys even know of the LSx engine?

It's not the LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, or the LS7. Its far tougher, stronger and far far better than any other previous LS series engine.

No other engines are even close to the power potential of the LSx, bar purpose built top fuel engines.

Potential and design wise not even the Bugatti Veyron can come close to this engine, much less an RB, 2JZ, VQ or a VG.

Again the engine this guy is talking about HAS BEEN DESIGNED TO HANDLE 2500HP. Ill say it again, 2500hp and again 2500hp.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 PM
turismo

I think you need to reconsider those engines you listed. If it were far superior, show me one that has run mid 6's at over 216mph. I dont consider it superior, when these cars are doing it from 1/3 of the displacement and two less cylinders. The VQ has been pushed to over 2000rwhp as well as the rb. The fact is, Chevy had to design a block, to withstand something that came from the factory, from Nissan and Toyota. The VQ35, has been out for 4 years and has surpassed the ls1-lsx in terms of times and performance.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
JCSVT

I think you need to reconsider those engines you listed. If it were far superior, show me one that has run mid 6's at over 216mph. I dont consider it superior, when these cars are doing it from 1/3 of the displacement and two less cylinders. The VQ has been pushed to over 2000rwhp as well as the rb. The fact is, Chevy had to design a block, to withstand something that came from the factory, from Nissan and Toyota. The VQ35, has been out for 4 years and has surpassed the ls1-lsx in terms of times and performance.
Not this arguement again...we talking about street cars here. If you can find me N/A VQ's producing over 550rwhp and still getting 25mpg on the highway please show me because I know of about 3 C6 Z06s doing this same thing. I can almost guarantee these engines are less stressed, lighter, and more reliable than a TT VQ making the same numbers.

No, the VQ has not surpassed the LS in terms of all-around performance and probably never will. The LS is in so many vehicles and has such a big aftermarket that it just outpaces other engines in the amount of research that goes into them. The LSx is just another evolution of the LS series and it will pretty much annihilate any VQ coming down the pipeline in terms of pure potential. Think of how many applications and racing series the LS is in. There is a reason that is the first choice for most engine swaps in cars today.

Last edited by JCSVT; 05-22-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply: ls1 for the z?