Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Restrictor on PCV

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Glex25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Restrictor on PCV

I'm seeing a unusual amount of oil coming off the PCV back into my plenum.

When I was NA I had the homemade Oil Catch Can and was using 1.5QT oil between oil changes plus I had my cats so if any oil was going back into my intake it was being burnt up.

Now I have the TurboXS Oil Catch Can and can see that oil is still getting pass the Oil Catch Can and now that I have Test Pipes I can see oil residue on my exhaust tips.
If I add a restrictor on the line that is going from the Oil Catch Can into the plenum would there be any adverse effect?

I'm also planning on adding back my Cats and getting a replacement PCV Valve.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put a catch can on the driver's side too... Or run a "Y" line from the driver's side crank case breather to the catch can you already have installed.

Last edited by gothchick; 05-14-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Q45tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always prudent to measure the pressure buld up [from charging or bad rings] to redesign the pcv valve and assembly [spring tension] to properly match the optimum pcv flow.

Oem will obviously be wrong for any added flow.

As the mileage builds up [rings] more and more pcv flow must be allowed.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Always prudent to measure the pressure buld up [from charging or bad rings] to redesign the pcv valve and assembly [spring tension] to properly match the optimum pcv flow.

Oem will obviously be wrong for any added flow.

As the mileage builds up [rings] more and more pcv flow must be allowed.
I wasnt expecting that response and I had to ponder for a few minutes whether your mentally unstable, or may have something.
Rings, past a point, simply need to be addressed. The PVC is simply a check valve to eliminate a back fire entering the Crank case.
Would additional flow have an effect on evacuation?

This week Im messin around with that system and going to try to determain the velosity/volumn of air draw in, to air pulled out ( via PCV line ) to see what numbers come up. And it will be OEM valve, No valve ( for reference ) and a better flowing valve as u suggested. WTF
Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

More importantly the valve prevents air from the intake going back into the combustion chamber. I would think the OEM valve would be fine even with FI unless boost can damage the valve (always wondered about that but I assume the TT kits address that). If you have increased flow and are see vapor passing by your catch can (clear tubing?), then why not try to implement a filter to prevent recirculation? Something for the oil vapor to condense on... I would rather have a PCV that allows more vapor out (even if it results in slow oil depletion) rather than one that kept too much in (resulting in deposits and damage within the engine).

Last edited by rcdash; 05-14-2007 at 01:48 PM.