Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

I wanna take an M3..I HATE THEM $&(*&#

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Mr B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just re-read the thread and I just noticed you had an A/T. I'm like 90% sure you raced a 240hp version. Not dissing you or anything, but auto's are slower than manuals unless you've got bimmer's smg or audi's new automatic that's supposed to be faster than the smg. Yes, you've got mods, but that'll probably be as fast as a stock 6 speed Z or a little faster.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:11 AM
350Zwannabe

Default An average 350Z with a couple of mods will dyno in at 260 rwhp and weigh 200 + less p

Again gearing comes into play. I know weight is a factor here but I still noticed gearing differences when I raced a M coupe (240hp.)
I was running my 340hp S4 with gobbs of torque and it was a GREAT race. I beat him we gave each other props and talked a bit at the light. I would shift and he would pull a bit more. He would shift and I pull next. With my windows down I could hear when he would switch into the next gear compared to me. It was very exciting. Even the 240hp. M (COUPE) is a super quick car (weight & Gearing). I can not get technical on how certain cars get there power down to the ground whether its RPM,HP,TQ,Gears because I am mechanically retarded but it is interesting how some cars with less Hp and TQ can be so F--kin fast. Maybe someone here can elaborate. Which other cars on the market have very similiar HP and Tq ratings as the Z?????? Try to compare what there 1/4 mile times would be.

Last edited by 350Zwannabe; 04-29-2003 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Nyoneway

Originally posted by Finality
Thats a very wierd explanation if ever I heard one.

So if a car revs to 19,000 rpm and has 110 feet of torque with 110 bhp it should in theory beat a Z06 right.........

All higher revs does is allow for more hp to be generated, its all a question of doing it within engine tolerances.

Taking an example from F1, raising the engine rpm redline by 1000 might result in an imporvement of 100bhp.

The M engine is quite a bit more sophisticated than the S2000 ie no 'dumb' vtech system that is simply set off by an rpm switch. The system continuously varies the amount of air the engine gets, optimizing it for rpms so you get a lot more power over the rpm range vs a normal inline engine.
I don't think such a engine is possible and even remotely pratical.

Your engine will make its peak 110 HP at around 5,250 RPM. If the HP curve is flat from 5,250 RPM till 19,000 RPM, it will only make around 30 lbs of torque at redline.

Now if the engine is more partical with a flat torque curve from 5,250 RPM, it will make 210 hp at 10k RPM and almost 400 hp at 19k RPM.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:10 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Preach on!

Originally posted by Nyoneway
I don't think such a engine is possible and even remotely pratical.

Your engine will make its peak 110 HP at around 5,250 RPM. If the HP curve is flat from 5,250 RPM till 19,000 RPM, it will only make around 30 lbs of torque at redline.

Now if the engine is more partical with a flat torque curve from 5,250 RPM, it will make 210 hp at 10k RPM and almost 400 hp at 19k RPM.
What would Martin say? YOU GO BOY! Damn that sounds G-y.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:21 AM
ITR#203

Thanks, Nyoneway...hp simply doesnt matter because it is a function of torque anyway. When comparing cars, hp gives an idea of how fast it will be but isnt a definitive source of how fast a car will go.

As Nyoneway pointed out, a car will just 110 ft/lbs of tq at 19000 rpms, will make a whole bunch of hp under the formula hp= (tq x revs) / 5252.

Another thing to think about is how the 350z's torque begins to drop significantly after 5300 rpms. The M3 doesnt experience this until around 7000 rpms with peak hp coming at 7900 rpms. So even with less torque at 262, we are looking at more torque multiplication via the gear ratios (as they can be more aggresive with a higher redline) and a wider powerband.

Also, there are NO visual differences from 01 S54 motor (315 hp and 251 ft/lbs of tq, redline at 7600 rpm) M roadsters and the S52 motor (240 hp and 238 ft/lbs of tq, redline at 6500 rpm) M roadsters, except I think the 98's had amber tails while newer ones were cleared. However, this means 99's and 00's with S52s had clears too. The wheels for all model years were the same. Also, there are a LOT more S52 motor M roadsters than S54's. Therefore I think you raced a S52 motor M roadster.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:30 AM
350Zwannabe

Default HP/Tq 101

Originally posted by ITR#203
Thanks, Nyoneway...hp simply doesnt matter because it is a function of torque anyway. When comparing cars, hp gives an idea of how fast it will be but isnt a definitive source of how fast a car will go.

As Nyoneway pointed out, a car will just 110 ft/lbs of tq at 19000 rpms, will make a whole bunch of hp under the formula hp= (tq x revs) / 5252.

Another thing to think about is how the 350z's torque begins to drop significantly after 5300 rpms. The M3 doesnt experience this until around 7000 rpms with peak hp coming at 7900 rpms. So even with less torque at 262, we are looking at more torque multiplication via the gear ratios (as they can be more aggresive with a higher redline) and a wider powerband.

That concludes our class for the day kids. Now go home and do your homework like good ol' Nyoneway & ITR#203.
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I learned something today. I don't know Sh*t!
Old 04-29-2003, 09:02 AM
D_Nyholm

Default Re: Re: Re: Z rated, I am sure 315HP out of the M

Originally posted by whosdady
I will try to make it easier for you to understand. The ECU by itself is rumored to make in excess of 30 hp. That means if you do nothing else to a stock Z but mod the ecu, you will have 317 hp. Then you have the Stillen exhaust system which has added up to 13 hp on a stock Z. Combine the Injen CAI which has added up to 7 hp on a stock Z. Then add the headers (which I have not personlly done) for another 10 additional hp to a stock Z. I forgot to mention earlier, high flow cats which I ordered today from Doug. These are good for another dyno proven 6 hp. And also add the new plenum (just ordered as well) good for another 10 hp. Wow, that is 360+ hp*. Now I hope you don't misunderstand me. Not all cars will get the exact hp out of each mod, but I feel the numbers will be within +/- 1%. The only major difference will be between the auto tranny and the manual. The manual will have less loss, thus more hp. The only major variable in this equation is what the ECU will do?

From your comment it sounds like you think these mods cancel eachother out. Maybe you are confused about hp vs rwhp. I am saying we will push 345 hp not 345 rwhp. 345 hp is only 286.35 rwhp power (average 17% drivetrain loss). Next time you read a thread, check out some of the sigs guys have. I have seen sigs claiming 260+ with only half of these items. Put the ECU into the mix and they will produce more than my estimation.

Maybe this is your first experience with a sports car? I'm not sure what they will be able to do for your G? I have seen a turbo kit in Japan but I doubt you bought the G antisipating a turbo install.

For the guy that said the M3 is all that Most stock E46's are dynoing around 270 rwhp. That is 270 rwhp at 3400+pounds. An average 350Z with a couple of mods will dyno in at 260 rwhp and weigh 200 + less pounds. It doesn't take a brain child to figure out who would win a race
Alright, you must magazine race or soemthing like that.....If a guy gets x HP from one mod on a stock car and another guy gets Y HP from another mod and another guy gets Z HP from another mod, the answer is not X+Y+Z to figure out your hp!!!! ANd YES Some mods do negate each other. That is why you will see cars with MORE mods than another car and the one with less mods wins the race. The one driver made a bad decision on his mods and some actually dropped his power or changed his powerband.

If I throw a WILD cam in a car that needs high compression, stiffer valve spring, but gives the car 100+ HP and less torque down low, it does not mean that it will give a stock car 100+ hp!!!

And yes, I have had other cars before this, they were drag cars. They couldn't turn very well, but they went straight like a *****!!!

Also, Torque plays a HUGE roll in this. Just think about a s2000 and you will see what i mean. YOu can have a car with 100 HP and 400 ft.lbs of torque (granted, it probably wouldn't rev above 4000 rpms), and a car with 200 HP and 170 ft. lbs of torque. Who do you think will win???
Old 04-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Nyoneway

1. BMW overrate their engines. *Edit* I mean underrate.
2. Torque Curve.
3. BMW uses aggressive gearing.
4. The M3's trap speed for the quartermile is around 107mph. Around 5-6 mph faster than a 350z. Meaning at the end of the quartermile, the M3 is going 5mph faster and gaining. It will take a lot more than just a couple of bolt-ons to gain 5mph on a 350z. In the world of drag racing, 5mph is almost another class.

Of course in the real world many variables come into place, such as driver, etc and anything is possible. I assume that most people who drive M3's are not as aggressive as people who drives 350z.

Last edited by Nyoneway; 04-29-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:58 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Fast and The Furious

Originally posted by Nyoneway
1. BMW overrate their engines.
2. Torque Curve.
3. BMW uses aggressive gearing.
4. The M3's trap speed for the quartermile is around 107mph. Around 5-6 mph faster than a 350z. Meaning at the end of the quartermile, the M3 is going 5mph faster and gaining. It will take a lot more than just a couple of bolt-ons to gain 5mph on a 350z. In the world of drag racing, 5mph is almost another class.

Of course in the real world many variables come into place, such as driver, etc and anything is possible. I assume that most people who drive M3's are not as aggressive as people who drives 350z.
In the next Fast and the Furious movie you'll see some of my friends M3s along with my S4 in the Warehouse scene and let me tell you, WE ARE HARD ON OUR CARS!Ouch! OK, so its a small percentage of M3 guys who are hard. In Miami, you'll see rollcages all day long in M3s. Weekend warriors!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:03 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Re: Fast and The Furious

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
In the next Fast and the Furious movie you'll see some of my friends M3s along with my S4 in the Warehouse scene and let me tell you, WE ARE HARD ON OUR CARS!Ouch! OK, so its a small percentage of M3 guys who are hard. In Miami, you'll see rollcages all day long in M3s. Weekend warriors!
Forgot to mention that an EXTREMELY HOT CHICK pulled up to the F&F Set in a Silver 350Z dropped on nice wheels(forgot what kind) Of coarse her boyfriend pulled up behind her in his 996. But her car should make it in the film. Look out for the Warehouse scene where everyone scatters because the cops are coming. Lots of helicopter shots.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:43 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Re: Fast and The Furious

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
Forgot to mention that an EXTREMELY HOT CHICK pulled up to the F&F Set in a Silver 350Z dropped on nice wheels(forgot what kind) Of coarse her boyfriend pulled up behind her in his 996. But her car should make it in the film. Look out for the Warehouse scene where everyone scatters because the cops are coming. Lots of helicopter shots.
Hmm.... the film is trying to say that the Z is a "Chick" car?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:48 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Fast and The Furious

Originally posted by webcarconnection
Hmm.... the film is trying to say that the Z is a "Chick" car?
Or................That Hott Chicks like being IN the Z!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:55 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Fast and The Furious

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Or................That Hott Chicks like being IN the Z!
Yeah..... I would like to think that!
Old 04-29-2003, 02:24 PM
johnnyblaze

OH its true, they have the "I can see myself in that car" look on them when they look at a good looking Z.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:04 PM
whosdady

Default You guys make me laugh!

As stated earlier in this post, the M roadster that I raced had different wheels. This is not to say I know without a doubt that this car was not upgraded with 1 year newer wheels but highly unlikely... Please read the exerpt below to confirm the wheel change in 2001. As for my knowledge of BMW's I have had two and almost bought a 3rd. The 2001 M3 was my third choice after a 99 911. I chose the Z for the value and decided to save the money so in 3 years I can afford 911 turbo.

Click here: Yahoo! Autos - 1996-2001 BMW Z3

2001 All models had more power for 2001. The Z3 2.5i convertible got a 184-hp 2.5 liter in place of a 170-hp 2.3. The 3.0i convertible and hatchback got a 225-hp 3.0 in place of a 193-hp 2.8. The high-performance M Series models' 315-hp 3.2 liter replaced a 240-hp 3.2. Optional on 2.5i and 3.0i models was a 5-speed automatic in place of a 4-speed. All Zs got redesigned wheels for 2001, plus BMW's Dynamic Brake Control. M models now included a low-tire-pressure warning system.

D_nyholm: As for magazine racing I'm not sure what that means? Your equation lacks thought. Besides, please share with me what mods have negated hp in the Z. It sounds like you are confused with different mods that produced less hp than stock parts in early magazine tests. The mods I referred to are all power adding mods and have been dyno proven together. For additional information on this topic please contact Doug who has designed HF cats, a plenum, headers and some other cool stuff. He has dynos to prove the synergetic effect of these products

MrB: Now for my favorite comment... The one about the modified 5AT Z being almost as fast as a stock 6MT. This has been discussed over and over. 0-60 and in the 1/4 the auto will win. The auto will have less hp but due to gearing and faster shifting it is faster. If my car was stock I would have been happy to race anyone in my area to prove this point. I chose the auto because it is faster in a straight line. Around the track is a different story. BUt I like the option of a torque converter which will place an even greater distance beteen the two trannys.

350Zwanabe: I lived in Southern FL for a year and didn't see one M3 with a roll cage.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:23 PM
D_Nyholm

Default Re: You guys make me laugh!

D_nyholm: As for magazine racing I'm not sure what that means? Your equation lacks thought. Besides, please share with me what mods have negated hp in the Z. It sounds like you are confused with different mods that produced less hp than stock parts in early magazine tests. The mods I referred to are all power adding mods and have been dyno proven together. For additional information on this topic please contact Doug who has designed HF cats, a plenum, headers and some other cool stuff. He has dynos to prove the synergetic effect of these products

[/B]
I did not say that they NEGATE power, you just can't add up the power of each individual mod to get the total that the mods should have TOGETHER in ONE car. If col air intake gives 6 hp on a stock car and exhaust gives 10 hp on a stock car. Then you add an ecu that gives 20 hp on a stock car, and an intake plegnum (sp?) give 8 hp on a stock car, you don't add 6+10+20+8 = 44. That is completely wrong. The two intake peices may work together to get 10 hp instead of 14.

As for magazine racing, I am talking about the ads that state "Get 20 HP from this air filter, get 25 HP from this exhaust, get 10 hp from this cold air kit". Then people think they have added 55 hp to their car when they have most likely only added 25 at most.

Is that any better or would you like me to read over my post a few times? Should I hand it in to my teacher to make sure that it is clear and concise? I don't think so, it is a freaking forum for God's sake!!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:28 PM
johnnyblaze

Talking

Face the facts real quick, M3's are really fast. We are a tad bit on the slow side (STOCK!). However M3's are out of the box fast yes but their aftermarket parts are in the upwards of 900-5,000. So its rare to find a really fixed up m3. However on our part (350z) our mods are just barely comming out and are producing good horsepower for reasonable sums of money and overall we just look better going down the road you get those "what was that looks" or the classic "*double take*". But with an M3 you get a "Oh its just a BMW" MOST girls dont know the difference between a 328i and an M3, to them its just a BMW. But a Z to people by looks is close to a Porsche or other exotic cars. I've had my fill of m3's both 6 speed and SMG when i had my Heavily modded 2001 Lightning, i use to blow the doors off of them without slicks. When it comes down to it Stock for Stock i think it comes down to Driver or for the M3 it comes down to merely does he have a SMG II or 6 speed. In due time they will be staring at our rear bumpers while the sound of our twin turbos yell through our potent exhausts! In the meantime we just have to wait it out and get our asses handed to us every now and then. BUT WE'LL look good doing it! <-- see we look good while getting punched in the face
Old 04-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Mr B

Er... again, not dissing automatics, but I don't believe they are faster than the manual gearbox unless the driver doesn't know how to shift. Sure you might point out this person got so and so at the track, but was it at the same time, day and track? It makes a huge difference. Anyway, until I see a stock auto beat a stock 6 speed, I won't even give further thought to this.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:27 PM
SiGGy

Default Re: You guys make me laugh!

As stated earlier in this post, the M roadster that I raced had different wheels. This is not to say I know without a doubt that this car was not upgraded with 1 year newer wheels but highly unlikely... Please read the exerpt below to confirm the wheel change in 2001. As for my knowledge of BMW's I have had two and almost bought a 3rd. The 2001 M3 was my third choice after a 99 911. I chose the Z for the value and decided to save the money so in 3 years I can afford 911 turbo.

Click here: Yahoo! Autos - 1996-2001 BMW Z3

2001 All models had more power for 2001. The Z3 2.5i convertible got a 184-hp 2.5 liter in place of a 170-hp 2.3. The 3.0i convertible and hatchback got a 225-hp 3.0 in place of a 193-hp 2.8. The high-performance M Series models' 315-hp 3.2 liter replaced a 240-hp 3.2. Optional on 2.5i and 3.0i models was a 5-speed automatic in place of a 4-speed. All Zs got redesigned wheels for 2001, plus BMW's Dynamic Brake Control. M models now included a low-tire-pressure warning system.

MrB: Now for my favorite comment... The one about the modified 5AT Z being almost as fast as a stock 6MT. This has been discussed over and over. 0-60 and in the 1/4 the auto will win. The auto will have less hp but due to gearing and faster shifting it is faster. If my car was stock I would have been happy to race anyone in my area to prove this point. I chose the auto because it is faster in a straight line. Around the track is a different story. BUt I like the option of a torque converter which will place an even greater distance beteen the two trannys.

350Zwanabe: I lived in Southern FL for a year and didn't see one M3 with a roll cage.

HA, automatic transmission does not haves less HP due too gearing...

You do realize that auto transmissions take a 20-23% drive train loss where as a manual will take 15%. Because of the TORQUE CONVERTER. Slushing fluid in a enclosure with some turbines is not what one would call efficient. Especially in comparison to a clutch...

Are you the same person who also belives you can make your Z run 12's with exhaust, headers, intake, and ecu? I don't think so.

LMFAO

287hp 22% loss = 223hp (automatic)
287hp 15% loss = 243hp (manual)

To take your 14.x car into the 12's is going to take an easy 70WHP. Thats WHEEL horse power! That's some impressive bolt on mods.

A 315hp Roadster would have walked away from you easy. Give it up. You may have beaten the driver. If so, props to you. No way your car is a low 13 second ride... Give it up...

Last edited by SiGGy; 04-29-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:02 AM
350Zwannabe

Smile Re: Re: You guys make me laugh!

Originally posted by SiGGy
HA, automatic transmission does not haves less HP due too gearing...

You do realize that auto transmissions take a 20-23% drive train loss where as a manual will take 15%. Because of the TORQUE CONVERTER. Slushing fluid in a enclosure with some turbines is not what one would call efficient. Especially in comparison to a clutch...

Are you the same person who also belives you can make your Z run 12's with exhaust, headers, intake, and ecu? I don't think so.

LMFAO

287hp 22% loss = 223hp (automatic)
287hp 15% loss = 243hp (manual)

To take your 14.x car into the 12's is going to take an easy 70WHP. Thats WHEEL horse power! That's some impressive bolt on mods.

A 315hp Roadster would have walked away from you easy. Give it up. You may have beaten the driver. If so, props to you. No way your car is a low 13 second ride... Give it up...

MAkes total sense to me.
Whosdady- I've been here all my 26 years and see lots of Rollcages in M3s. I guess I'm hanging around the right people, or maybe not. Oh sorry I left out Porsches too.

By the way EVERYONE, I just felt like I had to say this but I have never been to a car site like this before where everyone has such STRONG opinions on everything. Lots and Lots of arguing, amazing. I did come from another type of car but this is a huge difference in the way everyone reacts and is so defensive about EVERYTHING. Not saying its a bad thing, just very different for me.

Last edited by 350Zwannabe; 04-30-2003 at 05:04 AM.

Quick Reply: I wanna take an M3..I HATE THEM $&(*&#