Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New to Z, checking oil level

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to Z, checking oil level

Hey guys,
I am new to the Z. I picked mine up a week ago and earlier today I was trying to check my oil level. Is it me or is the oil level dip stick a real PITA? It seems like there isn't much room to pull the thing out and get a reliable reading. I tried several times to get a consistent reading on the oil level but everytime I pulled the stick out, the oil would get smudged due to the fact that it's so damn hard to pull the stick out without any obstructions, especially against the intake tube. And when I avoid it, the oil gets rubbed against the dip stick shaft that goes into the oil pan. Am I retarded or is this really a pain in the behind? I'm by no means a newb when it comes to cars. I just found the oil checking process on a Z a pain in the behind given all the obstructions. Anybody else find this annoying?
Old 05-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Bevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Hey guys,
I am new to the Z. I picked mine up a week ago and earlier today I was trying to check my oil level. Is it me or is the oil level dip stick a real PITA? It seems like there isn't much room to pull the thing out and get a reliable reading. I tried several times to get a consistent reading on the oil level but everytime I pulled the stick out, the oil would get smudged due to the fact that it's so damn hard to pull the stick out without any obstructions, especially against the intake tube. And when I avoid it, the oil gets rubbed against the dip stick shaft that goes into the oil pan. Am I retarded or is this really a pain in the behind? I'm by no means a newb when it comes to cars. I just found the oil checking process on a Z a pain in the behind given all the obstructions. Anybody else find this annoying?
Try checking it first thing in the morning, you will get a better reading
Old 05-19-2007, 08:08 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by Bevo
thats not what he's reffering to...he's saying that when you pull out the dipstick (hehe) the oil kinda gets smudged on it because of the angle you pull it out at...and i gotta gree, it does suck
Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calin
thats not what he's reffering to...he's saying that when you pull out the dipstick (hehe) the oil kinda gets smudged on it because of the angle you pull it out at...and i gotta gree, it does suck
Ding, ding, ding Exactly. Ideally, you want to put the stick in and pull it out with minimal contact of any other object so that the oil does not get smeared on the stick which will give you inaccurate reading.

I tried it again and I think when you pull it out, the oil on the opposite side of the L-F markers does not come in contact with anything. I think that's where I'll get the best reading.

That's not how you're supposed to check oil level. Every car I've owned needed to be checked when the oil is warm. Z is no exception. Get the car to operating temp, park it on a level surface and shut it off. Wait 10-15 minutes for most of the oil to drain back to the oil pan and check the level then. Owner's manual confirms this procedure.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
the oil level dip stick a real PITA
You are correct.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:32 AM
BigBodySmith
Banned

Originally Posted by Bevo
This is what I do aswell, You will not be able to get an accurate reading when the car is at operating temps, well atleast I cannot, and Ive have searched and it seems alot of people cannot. I even bought a new dipstick, and the readings did not get any better.

I guess oil is flung up the dipstick tube when motor is moving, that is why when you pull the dipstick out, it is smeared. If u let it sit over night, check in the morning, you will be able to see an accurate reading.