Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How to make HR power with a DE - insider info from NISMO

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blasian
I suppose we need to start believe everything we hear.
if your brain is unable to use logic and problem solving, that would SEEM to be the way to go.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very comfortable with the OP's assertions because I know who he is and what he does.
I can also understand why many would question the OP's claims.

This site has its hierarchy of expertese and someone who does not post often is naturally going to be questioned. It's the nature of any board.

So lets just do the mod and do the before and after dyno's. We will do it at Team ZaG's shop and have it dyno'ed at V2.

Who do I get to knock out once its done?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:05 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
if your brain is unable to use logic and problem solving, that would SEEM to be the way to go.
Actually, it would seem VERY logical to NOT believe everything you hear. Like someone just stated... it that was the case, everyone here would believe the Turbonator actually work (which was proven wrong when actually tested). I'm pretty sure by this point people know that the OP isn't full of ****, but I would guess that even though we believe it, we still want to see it just to know the actual real-time benefits/gains (which em-efer has shown).
Old 05-24-2007, 07:29 PM
KhanMan

So here is the question is the rev-up cams better than the HR cams? Or is it too early to tell?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Actually, it would seem VERY logical to NOT believe everything you hear. Like someone just stated... it that was the case, everyone here would believe the Turbonator actually work (which was proven wrong when actually tested). I'm pretty sure by this point people know that the OP isn't full of ****, but I would guess that even though we believe it, we still want to see it just to know the actual real-time benefits/gains (which em-efer has shown).
O_M_G. I guess I am really unclear on what I was trying to say.

being skeptical is great, but being a dick about is not. being skeptical does not mean you do not believe it, just that you need more evidence, information, proof... whatever! asking questions, or allowing the author time to explain is the proper way to get a resolution and get to the truth.

do you get what I am trying to say?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay guys what are we arguing about? Damn REVUP cams give 10whp, woopdeedoo. Add the price of used REVUP exhaust cams which are $150 + labor which is 500 and thats $650 for 10whp, basically the same thing an exhaust does.

Case closed.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
Okay, it's one to be doubtful, but now everyone seems to be just mocking the OP. Who wants to read 100 posts about everyone mocking someone who's trying to help out the forum?

Really, that shiet is annoying.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bunch of friggen philosophers in this thread
Old 05-25-2007, 08:32 AM
scratch137

I would just like to point out that the people who are complaining about the the way the other members are acting towards the OP are the reason people are still doing it. If you just stop trying to get in the last word, then the next person will not have anything left to say. You are fueling the fire and complaining that this thread has gone to waste but it is because you continue to bring up the useless posts saying things like "BS" or "PROOF" so just dont mention them and move on. Maybe we can redirect the focus back towards the original discussion.

So, with that said, does anyone think it would be possible to use HR cams in the non-revup, or maybe since the revup uses that VVL or w/e it is called on both intake and exhaust, then maybe it is possible for you rev-up guys to save a buck and use HR cams instead of buying aftermarket for $1000. If you gain about 10HP then thats a decent mod because you are getting about the same as you would from lets say, JWT cams, for a fraction of the price.

Please discuss, and lets act like a FORUM, and try to make some good out of this. Maybe some peoples goals of NA power can now be achieved w/o having to spend as much money.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Okay guys what are we arguing about? Damn REVUP cams give 10whp, woopdeedoo. Add the price of used REVUP exhaust cams which are $150 + labor which is 500 and thats $650 for 10whp, basically the same thing an exhaust does.

Case closed.
+1

I don't see how this is a cost effective mod.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
scratch137

its cheaper then buying aftermarket cams.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by scratch137
its cheaper then buying aftermarket cams.
At least you wouldn't have an SES light
Old 05-25-2007, 09:31 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Case closed.
To your point, the $/HP ration is acceptable to most 350Z owners. So what if you already have i/h/e but do not want to walk down the FI path? Cams seem like a pretty logical next step.

Area under the curve could also be a big selling point. We won't know until someone does a clear before and after dyno.

Case reopened, pending dyno.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by wperdigon
interesting - what evidence do you have support your statement that it's bs? you have none, your comment was a useless one to the thread - it's not rocket science here, its marketing...considering the rev up vs non rev up...

besides, what did i say about the plenum? absolutely nothing....
Okay, now you're just being an idiot.
It's a well known fact that the plenums differ on the HR's and the 287's. It would be very remiss (read: STUPID) of you to ignore this fact when trying to get your precious "HR" power, dumbass.

What proof do I have? Nissan's claimed crank hp and tq numbers. Doesn't get better than that, son.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
To your point, the $/HP ration is acceptable to most 350Z owners. So what if you already have i/h/e but do not want to walk down the FI path? Cams seem like a pretty logical next step.

Area under the curve could also be a big selling point. We won't know until someone does a clear before and after dyno.

Case reopened, pending dyno.

Well the lift and duration of the 287 vs REVUP cams aren't too different I would think. The main gains are coming from the timing adjustment by moving the exhaust sprockets, but then again that will throw off many other aspects like smoothness.

If someone is going to do cams, you might as well buy the ones that have the higher lift that have been proven like JWT, tomei, jun, etc. I'm not saying the REVUP exhaust cam isn't giving power, i'm saying there is more power with much more area under the curve with both intake and exhaust cams that are aftermarket with a higher lift and duration.

If the REVUP cams were that great don't you think crawford would have used it on their Z instead of using their own custom ground cams?

Not trying to be an ***, i'm just being logical thats all.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by blasian
+1

I don't see how this is a cost effective mod.
who said it was?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
scratch137

Thats a good point. But what i would say to your crawford comment is that yes more power can come from a much more aggressive cam, and in the crawford car they had the money, and ability to make whatever they wanted to go into that car. Also, to aggressive is obviously not streetable for several reasons. With the saving some money issue, possibly getting the Rev-up Ex cams, and then getting some tomei or Jun, GT motorsports or w/e intake cams could be quite the power adder. If just this exhaust cam upgrade is yielding about 10HP, then getting some aftermarket intake cams could definitely do some help also. And since the Rev-up cam mod apparently makes about as much as aftermarket intake and exhaust cams do, coupling the rev-ups w/ some Tomei intake cams i think you will have a pretty potent combination.

Also, for my personal knowledge only, do they make any aftermarket cams for the REV-UP engine?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Motormouth
who said it was?
Wouldn't that be the whole point or is it just to say, "hey I have revup exhaust cam swap yo!"
Old 05-25-2007, 10:49 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the lift and duration of the 287 vs REVUP cams aren't too different I would think. The main gains are coming from the timing adjustment by moving the exhaust sprockets, but then again that will throw off many other aspects like smoothness.
I don't have enough experience with engine tuning to make those kind of suppositions. If you are right about this, then I would agree, a tradeoff in smoothness or other areas might not be worth it, but the OP or Em-effer didn't exactly present a pros and cons list.

If someone is going to do cams, you might as well buy the ones that have the higher lift that have been proven like JWT, tomei, jun, etc. I'm not saying the REVUP exhaust cam isn't giving power, i'm saying there is more power with much more area under the curve with both intake and exhaust cams that are aftermarket with a higher lift and duration.
Most of the cam dynos I've seen are with forced induction since the $/hp ratio is cost prohibitive with N/A. Case in point GTM N/A cams MSRP for $1165, plus springs ($250) to deal with the increase in lift, plus install. Gain:+14whp. (source: https://my350z.com/forum/product-announcements/268804-gt-motorsports-turbo-and-na-sc-spec-camshaft-dyno-testing-results.html)

If the REVUP cams were that great don't you think crawford would have used it on their Z instead of using their own custom ground cams?
Of course not. Your point above about full custom cam sets making the most power with the least tradeoffs is dead on. Not to mention they are in the business of making and selling those parts and therefore have the resources and a vested interest to do so.
Not trying to be an ***, i'm just being logical thats all.
Not offended at all, this is what the forum is all about...I'm just trying to learn from this, you, whoever!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
track04

Originally Posted by ht4
He was telling a few of us about it last weekend and I believe he the leading theory is that some newb tech accidentally (i) installed the wrong cam, and (ii) screwed up alignment of the timing chains (one tooth off). Then they were like wait a second, this feels even faster.
this sentence makes me think this is 100% B.S.

Quick Reply: How to make HR power with a DE - insider info from NISMO