what does the V stand for?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Viscous
Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 AM
NoahzBurnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My roomate in college used to get this stuff in a visene bottle......OH Limited Slip

ATS FTW
Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you've driven all types and are a complete track junky the easiest options are Quaife in an open diff and Cusco / Carbonetics for one with VLSD. Both Cusco and Carbonetics are good choices but I'd lean towards the Carbonetics if you're willing to spend a little more.

I've never been a fan of the VLSD. Feels like an open diff with training wheels.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Laughitup85

I just need both my rear tires to turn when i launch and I don't want much noise. my Tires spin like mother f$%*ers on the lauch for a drag race and I want to reduce that so i can get my 60 ft time down
Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Laughitup85
I just need both my rear tires to turn when i launch and I don't want much noise. my Tires spin like mother f$%*ers on the lauch for a drag race and I want to reduce that so i can get my 60 ft time down
Honestly, if you simply want a good street-ready diff, just get the vlsd. Its cheap, it works, and you should have no problem finding one.

If ur z is not being built for track, drag, or drift, then you really dont need the more aggressive clutch-type diffs. I have the Kaaz 1.5 built to 40% (or was it 30%?) locking. The diff is really strong even at 40%.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
sicdeusvult

im going to be drifting in 2 wks. I was thinking about the nismo 1.5 but thats so expensive. do you guys like mechanical types or? which would be a good diff for the price but STILL a worthy diff to put on a mods list at HIN?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
ryanmac516
i like boobies

i got the nismo put in a month ago still breaking it in. i cant wait to switch to the motul fluid to quiet this thing down is it so loud and clunky i feels like the car is breaking. i may have it set to high also i think the guy that installed set it a little higher than half which i think is like 60%. i dont know if i like it set that high. i will let you know how i like it once it is broken in and i change the fluid over to motul, also i have the nismo finned diff cover coming in so i will change all that stuff once break in is done.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Equinox

Originally Posted by sicdeusvult
im going to be drifting in 2 wks. I was thinking about the nismo 1.5 but thats so expensive. do you guys like mechanical types or? which would be a good diff for the price but STILL a worthy diff to put on a mods list at HIN?
If you have a base car, the nismo LSD is the cheapest option available to you. Around $900 and it comes with the correct axle stubs required for installation in a base car. If your car has a VLSD from the factory, look towards the cusco RS or carbonetics. I'm leaving out Quaife since you already mentioned that the Nismo is expensive...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanmac516
i got the nismo put in a month ago still breaking it in. i cant wait to switch to the motul fluid to quiet this thing down is it so loud and clunky i feels like the car is breaking. i may have it set to high also i think the guy that installed set it a little higher than half which i think is like 60%. i dont know if i like it set that high. i will let you know how i like it once it is broken in and i change the fluid over to motul, also i have the nismo finned diff cover coming in so i will change all that stuff once break in is done.
Common in clutch type lsds. You're going to have to live with it because its not going away. People say that the noise goes away/reduced after they change the oil, but mine (kaaz) and my friend's (nismo) noise never went away. Also, Kaaz=Nismo basically.

Originally Posted by sicdeusvult
1.5way is probably the best all-around type. Clutch-type is the most prefered because of it's strength/reliability/consistancy. For me, I bought my diff used from a member for around 450, paid a shop 80 to rearrange the clutches for 40$, and put it in myself. Most diff's starting price is around 1k, so if you can find a used one and you know how to drop it in than do that.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 AM
myG35zx

Whats the price of a OE VLSD replacement? I liked the feeling of the OE one, but it is toast after two years of tracking and V710's.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:07 AM
vaughn1576

Originally Posted by Flee0588
Common in clutch type lsds. You're going to have to live with it because its not going away. People say that the noise goes away/reduced after they change the oil, but mine (kaaz) and my friend's (nismo) noise never went away. Also, Kaaz=Nismo basically.
+1

It won't go away. You have to just get used to it.

I've had mine for well over a year and I'm still making popcorn sounds with regular fluid changes.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 AM
sicdeusvult

Originally Posted by Equinox
If you have a base car, the nismo LSD is the cheapest option available to you. Around $900 and it comes with the correct axle stubs required for installation in a base car. If your car has a VLSD from the factory, look towards the cusco RS or carbonetics. I'm leaving out Quaife since you already mentioned that the Nismo is expensive...

i have this ordered (got it at a great deal), or should i cancel it?:

http://www.forgedperformance.com/sto...cat=261&page=1

Carbonetics Twin Disc Carbon Clutch w/1350kg Pressure Plate #16134
Carbonetics Twin Disc Carbon Clutch w/1350kg Pressure Plate This is truely the ultimate clutch on the market. ATS has been making clutches for many years, but only recently began marketing their products in the USA. Becuase of their limited marketing budget, you dont hear about this brand as often as Exedy and some of the other brands out there. But the ATS twin carbon disc clutch will likely be the last clutch you ever buy. It is rated at 700ft/lbs of holding power, but has stock enagement and pedal pressure. The entire assembly weighs just under 26lbs, and includes a lightened flywheel and bearing. Becuase it use full floating pure carbon twin disc, these clutch doesnt chatter like other racing clutches, and with the carbon surface, the clutch actually grabs MORE as you heat it up, rather than overheating and slipping like a conventional clutch. We also offer a triple disc carbon clutch, and an option of a heavier flywheel. Email us for details on these items. They are good for well over 1100ft/lbs of holding power. An optional carbon heat treated flywheel and pressure plate is availble for an extra $100. EMAIL US about the single disc, triple disc options. Will beat any competitor's price
Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats a clutch...we're talking about limited slips
Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 AM
MIAPLAYA

I got the Nismo unit because I have a Base Z and it came with the correct stub axels etc. At the time there weren't as many options of course but I can honestly say that after switching to Motul 90 PA as my preferred diff oil I am not the least bit unhappy with the Nismo unit. It performs EXCELLENT on the track, its the cheapest option for a Base model Z, and with the Motul 90PA I got from Sharif for oil the downsides of noise, notchiness are non-existent. I would get that if i were you.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM
sicdeusvult

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
thats a clutch...we're talking about limited slips

haha, yes i know. i was just wondering since im doing clutch, flywheel & LSD at the same time