Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Update: My Build, Ultimate Goals & 1 CRAZY Day in Utah

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:35 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Be safe Brent.......I'm subscribing for this...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 AM
spacemn_spiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Brent. You are a brave man.

I would definitely look at an aftermarket full rear diffuser, that should pull the air out under your car faster and help your rear from lifting up. Also if you dont have already, try to fit the track model rear diffusers, that might help a little in minimizing lift.

You have to be very careful and not get distracted one bit at those speeds, one wrong move could be disastrous.

I hope that the suspension setup is tuned for something like this, especially the dampers, too soft or high damping and you might lose grip because the suspension has to react that much faster, tiny bumps matter at those speeds. I might also look into running 17" or 16" wheels which will give you compliance in the tire side wall. Have you looked at tire overheating at these speeds, one blowout could make it heavenly for you.

Also the rear spoiler should help you keep the rear planted, but might also increase your drag significantly that might starve of the power needed to achieve top speed. So too aggressive spoiler might be good for downforce but bad for achieving top speeds. Have you looked at those front canards, they might help you get some downforce in the front.

I am sure you are doing all that is possible to get this to work, I thought I would put it out there, so this is what comes to mind right now.

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 06-29-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:35 AM
dTor

Good luck with everything BamBam!

I think we should post a link to this thread on all the Honda forums to help teach them the REAL reason for having a big rear wing and canards.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Machupo

One thing that i'm sure you've thought about, but make sure your tires can handle those speeds... remember what happened to the 1st 350Z to go over 200mph

I've had my stock (aero-wise) track model up to about 170mph, and I ran out of power. Started to feel a little light, but nothing 1" of drop and maybe a aftermarket front end w/ fairings couldn't take care of.

As long as your tires don't heat up too much, should be fine. Oh, and I know I don't have to say this, but if you start losing traction under acceleration (especially at high speeds), letting completely off the throttle will just cause your rear to let go (at least with the Z).

Best of luck to you, and I certainly expect vids (anyone donate a chasecam?)

After I turbo the Z, I'll definitely be up for joining the 200mph club
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Fluid1

I have to ask: why a convertible?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am trying to look at everything I can within the budget and time constraints we have.
I just bought a set of PS2's and they are rated for 186MPH and higher... My understanding is they are used on a # of high end race cars (that have top speeds around 200MPH) and some race series. I expect these to put up with this type of abuse for a few runs anyways. Remember that I will only be running for 3 miles at these speeds, then slowing down and going through a tech inspection. Also, I will be using my normal 19" Volks as I won't have the opportunity to change wheels/tires on the rally.

As for suspension, I am running the Tein MonoFlex w/EDFC. So we can adjust the ride height and I can change the dampening force for each pass if we think necessary. I also have upgraded camber and toes adjustments to give a solid footing for the straights

Yes, we will lower the car for this.. but I don't think it would be possible to put a rear diffuser on at this point in the game. Because of the Vizage Bumper, 3" exhaust and fuel surge tank; nothing would fit. So I will have to rely on the rear wing to generate enough down force to keep the rear firmly planted without causing TOO much drag and slowing the car down.

It is a fine balancing act between downforce and drag...
--B

Last edited by BamBam; 06-29-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Good Luck Brent! I am sure all will be fine.

Bert we have to do this rally next year... What you say, will even bring Joe with us!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I have to ask: why a convertible?
Not sure I know what you are asking?

1.) Why do I own one. Because I have always wanted to own a convertible and it was either this or Audi TT, or Honda S2000.
2.) Why do all this work on a convertible. Because that is the car I had to work with and it was the Z community that got me into modding my cars.
3.) Why am I trying for this record with a convertible. Because that is the car I have been working on for over 2 years and I wanted to do something no one else has done. Not to mention I think it will be cool to see a convertible achieve something like this.

Last edited by BamBam; 06-29-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Brent, I really think you should consider a long nose front bumper like the Option car..........and please, check and double check and triple check those tires after each pass.

I'm sure you're aware of the Option Z crash.......
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck bro! Very exciting stuff.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:39 PM
g6g35

best of luck to you.... Although this does sound a little risky
Old 06-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by BamBam
Not sure I know what you are asking?

1.) Why do I own one. Because I have always wanted to own a convertible and it was either this or Audi TT, or Honda S2000.
2.) Why do all this work on a convertible. Because that is the car I had to work with and it was the Z community that got me into modding my cars.
3.) Why am I trying for this record with a convertible. Because that is the car I have been working on for over 2 years and I wanted to do something no one else has done. Not to mention I think it will be cool to see a convertible achieve something like this.

All excellent reasons. I didn't mean the question in an inflammatory way. I figured that the coupe would be more aerodynamically apt for the task, that's all. I know the roadster is heavier stock as well.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Gumpdriver

Bro you guys are nuts, good luck Brent and try to get some good video.
Please be safe and have a ton of fun.

Last edited by Gumpdriver; 06-29-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

good luck man.. this is nuts.. i hope you make it and everything is cool.. im prayin for you man
Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 AM
TENGAI

Drive it 'til the doors fall off . I'm confident that you can produce the 200mph, my only question is whether or not she'll hold for 3 minutes. We're all about to find out if this beast of a car can stand up to the serious abuse that you're about to put it through. No matter which way it goes, it'll be one for the books.

Good luck bro, and come back in one piece...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM
C5_vette

Good luck Brent, be safe and make it back in one piece!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck man, make sure to take some brainiac nerds with you they are always helpful with the numbers and probably will end up saving the day.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by BamBam
I have the visage front/rear with Greddy sides, Seibon hood and AP Racing GT wing. I don't have a front diffuser (because they won't fit with the front bumper) but I do have the ARC Underbody tray. That is about it. I will of course run with the top up.

I might look into trying to get front canards.. but still not sure if they would fit or give me the benefits I need.

I'd DEFINATELy rethink your choice of aero parts. Vizage is purely show aero kit. I'd def. go with INGS or C-west as they are R&D'd and tested..

My 2 cents! But you're probably gone by the time i post this . Good luck Brent.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just don't end up like this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3_b6Tbz2k

goodluck
Old 07-02-2007, 08:02 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

best of luck to you brent

Quick Reply: Update: My Build, Ultimate Goals & 1 CRAZY Day in Utah