Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Recieved my UR Under Drive Ultra SS Pully Set

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003 | 07:43 AM
cbsuper

From UR's website:

The rest of the gains are from underdriving, which accounts for about 15% of the total gains. We do not push underdriving for two main reasons. Our main reason is to keep charging systems, air conditioning, power steering, and water pumps moving fast enough for every day driving. Second, not much horsepower is gained from extreme underdriving.

All of our underdriving is done with the crank pulley, not the accessory pulleys (most applications). This is done so maximum weight loss can be achieved at the crank where most of the horsepower gains are found. The accessory pulleys for most applications are stock diameter. Since our Ultra Accessory pulleys are the same diameter as the stock units, you may install an Ultra Street crank pulley as a first step. Then, at a later date, you may purchase our accessories and install them without having to change belts again (on most models).
Basically the other pulleys are only for looks. I only ordered the crank pulley for now, but I'll get the other ones later.
Old 05-13-2003 | 09:51 AM
12SecZ

The size was exactly the same, not sure about weight never pulled the stocker.

I have 1800w stereo system, the bolt didn't want to break loose and we said fug it and called it a day.

My car will never be a show car anyway after some of the things I have done for speed. It was as the previuos guy so nicely posted just an appearance issue and we just stopped and I sold the alt pully for less than cost to a member here.

I figure I got the two most important ones and my charging dips anyway even with 2 farads of capiicitance and a 110 amp alternator!

So if the alt and water pump is 20 % I got 10 % for a total of 90%, works for me!
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:39 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Hehehehe.....i knew you posted somewhere about this.....took me a while to find it......Congrats on the successful install......i was thinking it would be a good mod......i know i liked it on my MR2, and that was just with the crank pulley.....can't wait to see the times on Wednesday!.....bring your helmet
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:49 AM
NittoZ
Charter Member #65

Ok stupid question here. I only ordered the crank pulley for my car. Do I need to change any belts for it, or will the stock one work?

NittoZ
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:54 AM
Alev

Originally posted by NittoZ
Ok stupid question here. I only ordered the crank pulley for my car. Do I need to change any belts for it, or will the stock one work?

NittoZ
NittoZ: So, you got the crank pulley coming and your Borla dual? Niiiice... those are both in my future, hopefully end of the summer when I'm back from vacation.

MaxHax: I had a similar question to NittoZ's... I noticed you put the Gates belt part numbers. Would you have needed a third belt had you used the alternator pulley, or just the two you purchased? Also, if you do only order the crank pulley, as NittoZ did, I'm thinking you do need to change the belt, but would you still need to change two, or just one?

Thanks for your reporting and all the great info. Tomorrow's track day, right? Have fun!
Old 05-13-2003 | 11:59 AM
12SecZ

You actually need two new belts they both go around the crank pully and as you can see are much smaller.

Have a Kragen's nearby? I will post the part numbers and make it easy for you, I didn't use gates I bought the belts down the street. Kragen's Chiefs, Auto Zone all have them.

Look at the crank pully and notice the two grooves. One belt goes around the water pump the other belt goes around the alt so just changing the crank pully requires two belts also.

If you want the Brand and part number I used (and seems to be a great fit) let me know and I will post the 2 numbers.

The crank itself does not have it's own dedicated belt it just spins the other accesorie belts.

Hope this makes sense.

Hey EJ,

Noticed I missed your call on my cell, was in the shower. Sorry you missed day two! Brandon was in rare form and knocked it out pretty quick and problem free (after I aquired that tool we went on the mission for in the SUV hehe good times) and we watched a DVD and chilled sfter the test drive. Did some other stuff I had mentioned to you to and it turned out great! Shhhh.

Runs great.

Tomorow at 430pm, see you there!

Gonna run?

I would have offered you the alt pully but I know you want silver.

Thanks for the well wishes folks!

Peas!

Last edited by 12SecZ; 05-13-2003 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2003 | 12:23 PM
NittoZ
Charter Member #65

We don't have Kragen's down here, but we do have AutoZone. Part numbers would be great!

NittoZ
Old 05-13-2003 | 01:29 PM
uf300zx

Default Has anyone questioned the removal of the dampener?

Most stock pulleys have a dampener/balancer to dampen any crankshaft vibrations. Does the 350Z's underdrive pulley have a balancer? From looking at the weight of the stock pulley, it may not, but you guys know more than I do about this car. I have a Z32, and our stock pulley weighs about 12-14 lbs for damping reasons.

Many people with high powered Twin Turbos exhibit journal and bearing wear/failure from lack of a dampener. You all might want to check into this on the 350Z.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Ryan
Old 05-13-2003 | 01:32 PM
Zaphod 350z

Default Re: Has anyone questioned the removal of the dampener?

Originally posted by uf300zx
Most stock pulleys have a dampener/balancer to dampen any crankshaft vibrations. Does the 350Z's underdrive pulley have a balancer? From looking at the weight of the stock pulley, it may not, but you guys know more than I do about this car. I have a Z32, and our stock pulley weighs about 12-14 lbs for damping reasons.

Many people with high powered Twin Turbos exhibit journal and bearing wear/failure from lack of a dampener. You all might want to check into this on the 350Z.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Ryan
Concensus is the VQ35 is internally dampened. Therefore changing the pulley would not cause vibration.

But good ole MadHax is going to be our resident Guinea Pig! (not a racial slur. In fact I don't even think he's a cop.)
Old 05-13-2003 | 02:54 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default Re: Has anyone questioned the removal of the dampener?

Originally posted by uf300zx
According to this article, the VQ is internally balanced.
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:31 PM
12SecZ

I'm not a "cop." I work at Walmart (20 % off!) I am in a transition period, I was empowered via contract by the City and County but I am going back Federal. Training starts bright and early Thursday at 0645.

AnywayZ the harmonic balance issue was put to bed no?

Best way to get the Belts is go in with measurements in inches k?

They are listed at UR.

I used (with success) dang I have to go to the garage no brand on reciept brb.....

Alright,

I used Dayco Poly Cog belts

5060450 Fan

5040355 Alt

www.kragen.com

Cooling...

It was 84 degrees here today and I took her for a 2 hour drive running errands etc.

75 % stop and go down town stuff and the temp gauage stayed at it's normal place (liike 1/4 up from the bottom)

I even tried to stess it by turning on the AC and it stayed normal. I drained a little and added Red Line Water Wetter anyway.

Cooling, not a problem.

Don't believe everything you read here folks until it is substantiated. I had an idea to remove the black plastic shroud under my engine bay and was told by more than one person it would totally screw up my aerodynamics etc.

Wrong, it and some other stuff is gone (like the black Nissan Logo Engine bay plastic cover front of the manifold and some other stuff is gone too.

I don't mind trying new stuff and I am happy to share, I chose a goal plan for my car before buying it (after reviews, inspections test drives etc.) It's all falling in place quicker than I thought.

I took it 100+ on the freeway today and there was NO CHANGE in aero dynamics, but my CAI Filter down there loved it! It was pulling like you wouldn't believe and although my engine may look ugly now it's getting more cold air on both the top and bottom of the engine, that CAI filter just sucks up the air!

I'm ready for tomorow, filled my bottle and even bought 5 gallons of Union 76 "Nascar" 100 Octane unleaded gas!

Woot!

Wish me luc to represent and kick AZZ!

edit way too many typos

Last edited by 12SecZ; 05-13-2003 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:45 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

I hope i'm there when you run bro......i'm pretty sure i can't resist going......now that i'm into the 13's i wanna get even better times.....pretty sure i'm gonna get the pulleys now........if your feeling that much yank in an auto, i should be able to really feel it in a stick!!!!........see ya at the track
Old 05-13-2003 | 10:55 PM
12SecZ

Yeah if anything it will be fun. I don't want to jinx myself.

Call my cell at 430pm I'll be at the usual area where we kick it.

We have the same intake, grounding kit and resonator removsl sand your a damn good driver. I think for motor only you can't go wrong with this mod. Tires and weight reduction.

Weigh your car there next time I'm curiuos (it's in the back after you turn off and get your slip!

Last edited by 12SecZ; 05-13-2003 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2003 | 12:25 AM
joust75

I have questions. Let me know if I have this right.

The modified pulleys take power away from items that do not need as much as the factory prepares for.

The new pulleys transfer power back to the engine.

If I am not mistaken this is the basic idea. So please answer this.

By changing the operating speed of the water pump arent you decreasing cooling efficiency?

If this is not an issue it sounds like a great mod! congrats
Thanks for any info!
Old 05-14-2003 | 01:53 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Just ordered my full set, cause i'm that superficial.....also happened to notice their flywheel is for sale now too.....hmmm.....maybe at clutch replace time

joust75, this is directly from the U-R site:

The third version is the Ultra SS lightened underdrive pulley set. The Ultra SS lightened underdrive pulley kit comes with the Ultra S crank pulley and our Ultra A accessory pulleys for the alternator, power steering, and water pump (depending on your application). The Ultra SS lightened underdrive pulley kit has no more underdrive than the Ultra S lightened underdrive crank pulley, meaning you will have no electrical, cooling, or power steering problems. The a/c is still driven from the crank pulley in the Ultra SS kits so don’t think it has to be removed or can’t be used.

I've used their products in the past and they've been pretty good to me.
Old 05-14-2003 | 08:14 AM
12SecZ

The modified pulleys take power away from items that do not need as much as the factory prepares for.
That's not accurate, it's inertia it frees up power but doesn't take it from anywhere.

I addressed the heat issue, non factor.

My bad here is what you need for belts, I new I had the info but didn't know where it was. It's on the instructions you get with the kit!

AC Belt 36 and 1/8 or 920MM

Alt power steering and water pump 45 and 3/4 or 1160mm

I went in with those sizes (not brands or years and models) and was given the belts. Better/easier to have them before hand

Last edited by 12SecZ; 05-14-2003 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-14-2003 | 02:06 PM
mcclaskz

I just ordered a set from UR. I should have it next week. Thanks for the belt sizes!
Old 05-14-2003 | 02:13 PM
12SecZ

No problem,

Good deal on them right now.

You have a 3/4 in impact wrench? You will need that too.
Old 05-14-2003 | 05:57 PM
joust75

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!
Old 05-14-2003 | 06:10 PM
joust75

Okay I read the whole thread and did not see the factory warranty issue covered.

My next question is, I f you have the extended factory warranty, DO YOU INSTALL THIS KIT?

THis is the final aspect keeping me from buying it

Quick Reply: Recieved my UR Under Drive Ultra SS Pully Set