Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Just installed crawford HFC's and Vibration/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007 | 04:00 PM
OneI350

Default Just installed pop charger and Vibration/rattle

I just installed my pop charger and have some vibration coming from the driver side at the low rpms coming out of first gear from a dead stop.

Last edited by OneI350; 01-25-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-27-2007 | 04:09 PM
mthreat

For me it was where the X-pipe (stillen exhaust) passed over the M-brace. From under the car (on a lift, hopefully), grab the exhaust and shake it up and down, and see if it hits the M-brace. If so, add some washers.

If you can reproduce the noise with someone under the car (again, on a lift), try to track it down this way.

Since it's only in first gear while from a dead stop, this is when the engine and drivetrain is under the most torque (the whole engine can physically twist a bit). This may move the cats & exhaust slightly higher on one side and lower on the other side (or maybe to the right or left), causing it to touch something and make noise under vibration.
Old 07-27-2007 | 04:15 PM
OneI350

[QUOTE=mtheart

Since it's only in first gear while from a dead stop, this is when the engine and drivetrain is under the most torque (the whole engine can physically twist a bit). This may move the cats & exhaust slightly higher on one side and lower on the other side (or maybe to the right or left), causing it to touch something and make noise under vibration.[/QUOTE]

I think you hit it right on the money! I know that the engine will twist lifting from left to right. but I gave it at least a pinky width of clearance on the shield.
Old 07-27-2007 | 04:45 PM
OneI350

I just went back out for a test drive. This Time I took it up to 2000-2500 rpm and released the clutch at a better than medium speed and I heard it again. So as the engine lifts, that is when it is more prone to happen. The faster the launch, the more rattle or vibration.
Can someone confirm if the shields are the closest fitting parts in this area?

Does anyone have a picture of the stock cats on the car. I am sure that the clearance is almost the same stock but just want to be sure?

Last edited by OneI350; 07-27-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2007 | 10:07 PM
g356gear

Check the 10mm studs that protrude through the floor. They sometimes have to be cut off. Only way you find them is by feel usually.
Old 07-28-2007 | 02:06 AM
OneI350

Originally Posted by g356gear
Check the 10mm studs that protrude through the floor. They sometimes have to be cut off. Only way you find them is by feel usually.
What does that stud hold?
Old 07-28-2007 | 06:22 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

check your hangers also. (specifically your rear hangers) The metal portion of the hanger connected to the car has a plastic/rubber mounting adapter on it where you slide your hanger on the exhaust into. Sometimes the hanger on the exhaust will be angled badly and it will push up on the metal portion of the cars exhaust hanger. I had to grind the cars hanger down slightly so the hanger on the exhaust didn't push up against it.

Also, when installing my HFC's due to slight fittment issues, my exhaust shifted down the line by the rear strut bar. When the exhaust was cold adn when i went over train tracks it would thud that strut. A few adjustments to the piping and it was all good. Rattle sucks, good luck with getting it figured out.
Old 07-28-2007 | 01:16 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by OneI350
What does that stud hold?
Usually exhaust shielding but there are a couple that do come from above the floor and do need to be cut off. Especially for larger exhausts like on the T-netics turbo kit.
Old 07-28-2007 | 01:17 PM
OneI350

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
check your hangers also. (specifically your rear hangers) The metal portion of the hanger connected to the car has a plastic/rubber mounting adapter on it where you slide your hanger on the exhaust into. Sometimes the hanger on the exhaust will be angled badly and it will push up on the metal portion of the cars exhaust hanger. I had to grind the cars hanger down slightly so the hanger on the exhaust didn't push up against it.

Also, when installing my HFC's due to slight fittment issues, my exhaust shifted down the line by the rear strut bar. When the exhaust was cold adn when i went over train tracks it would thud that strut. A few adjustments to the piping and it was all good. Rattle sucks, good luck with getting it figured out.

Thanks, I drove the car again today and it seems to make the rattle as the engine moves up. So it has to be a rubbing issue. I am hoping that It is rubbing something and creating a mark. That way Ill be able to see exactly what Im hitting on.
Old 07-29-2007 | 02:08 PM
ulownz

I had some issues myself post Crawford HFC's installation.

Nothing a a crowbar to the heat shields won't fix

Here's the thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/281691-new-crawford-hfc-s-post-install-noises.html
Old 07-31-2007 | 03:56 PM
dal2kvvisp

I had the same problem with my crawford HFC's, mated with the JIC Y-Pipe. It was the heatshield. i jacked the car up, used a crowbar, and just flattened the heatshield up a little bit, and it solved the problem for the most part. It rattles every now and then, barely noticeable but i hear everything, i just need to get under there and bend it back more.