Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Project ARC..Engine bay build in progress..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

After all the main pieces were mounted I started the tedious task of cutting the braided lines. I did like Rickdogg said, using 1 layer of duct tape on the area I planned to cut. This keeps the braids from fraying. It also serves as a good smooth surface when your trying to get the fittings over the hose.

*note: Make sure to use WD-40 on the hose and fittings. It'll make it easy to slide the hoses into the fittings.

Also, don't worry about running out of hose. It seems like it won't be enough, but I actuall had about 10inches left over after everything was done.

BTW, if I hadn't printed out Rickdogg's picks from his install I would have had a hard time figuring out the orientation of the hoses and where they route to. The ARC instruction manual is a piece of worthless $hit! The diagram the provide is very misleading. I've listed the routing sequence in one of the following pics incase someone ever needs it.
Attached Thumbnails Project ARC..Engine bay build in progress..-imgp2577.jpg   Project ARC..Engine bay build in progress..-b5.jpg  
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 AM
VO...
Administrator

Last pic after everything was completed.. The red circle is the area where there was a small black plastic panel. This has to be remove.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them. What do most people do with the black styrofoam(sp?) piece mounted to the aluminum bar? (It's indicated with yellow arrows.) I'd like to just trash this piece if I don't really need it.

Last question. Can anyone tell me what part# of oil filter I need to buy now to fit the ARC adapter? My old filter's diameter is too small now.
Attached Thumbnails Project ARC..Engine bay build in progress..-b6.jpg  
Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 AM
nexstage350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by nexstage350
Nice!!
Thanks Lindz!

I won't be able to work on the car the rest of the weekend, but will finish cutting the bumper grill on Monday. The rest of the ARC parts should arrive next week. I'll keep you guys updated with new pics once I get some work done.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by vo7848
I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them. What do most people do with the black styrofoam(sp?) piece mounted to the aluminum bar? (It's indicated with yellow arrows.) I'd like to just trash this piece if I don't really need it.
What do you mean? Most people I know keep it if at all possible. I ran without mine for a year but decided to throw it back in to support my front bumper. I don't think it hurts to go without it, but it doesn't hurt to leave it in there.

Basically, most I know keep it unless they have to dump the bumper brace for a greddy intercooler or something.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM
CESAROTORRES

Default vo7848 RULES!!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is a great thread vo7848, props on install and explanations.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by taurran
What do you mean? Most people I know keep it if at all possible. I ran without mine for a year but decided to throw it back in to support my front bumper. I don't think it hurts to go without it, but it doesn't hurt to leave it in there.

Basically, most I know keep it unless they have to dump the bumper brace for a greddy intercooler or something.
I ended up keeping it to brace the front bumper if a low speed collision occurrs.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
this is a great thread vo7848, props on install and explanations.
thanks guy
Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 AM
VO...
Administrator

I had a few hours to spare yesterday after getting home from out of town. I decided to Dremmel the front grill out, then go over the edges with a file. It wasn't too bad. After I finished the cut, I ended up cleaning up the aluminum brace and applying alittle metal polish to it to give it a nice luster.

I have to say I'm pleased with the cooler mounting location, but it would look better if I had an aftermarket bumper. The OEM intake scoop is a bit higher than what I've seen on aftermarket bumpers. As you can see in the picture, it blocks the lower portion of the cooler. It's something I might have to live with since I have the Veilside lip kit.

I still haven't replaced my oil at this time. I picked up 6 qts. of conventional 10w-40 last night and an assortment of oil filters also. I plan on returning to synthetic, but wasn't sure if I was going to have oil pressure issues so I decide to run conventional first. This way if I have to switch weights I won't feel so bad about wasting the oil. I have to head back to the autoparts store tonight though. None of the filters I purchased threaded correctly. The original filter threads onto the ARC mount, but is a bit wobbly and the diameter is not large enough.

Rickdogg or CessarOToress, if one of you guys could tell me which filter you guys use that would be great. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Project ARC..Engine bay build in progress..-imgp2604.jpg  
Old 08-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Sam405

looks nice.. More pictures =)
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm that's weird. I always use the K&N Oil filters that are made for our cars and that works just fine

Hope that helps,
Rick
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Hmmm that's weird. I always use the K&N Oil filters that are made for our cars and that works just fine

Hope that helps,
Rick
Thanks Rickdogg. I've been searching the forums since 9am this morning trying to absorb all the info I can. I'm going to stop by the autoparts store and see if I can pick up the K&N HP1006 or 1008. I'm going to exchange the oil I purchased yesterday also. I believe the 10w-30 is going to be the better application for my needs. We'll see. If I have any problems, I'll dump it for some 5w-30. I'm a bit anxious to get her back on the road. She's been layed up for over a week now. I just spoke to the body shop. The kit will be painted by Thursday. Marty from Injected Performance shipped the V2 catch can on Friday also. It'll be in tomorrow. The strut bar has been drop shipped directly from Makin. That'll arrive this week also.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

10W-30 versus 5W-30 probably won't make a huge difference either way... but given that your oil should be running cooler you probably can get away with lighter weight oils, like the 0W-30 synthetics etc
By the way... nice pics... keep them coming. I wish more forum members could be like Vo

Edit: although I'm a little confused what you did with the dremel

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 08-06-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
10W-30 versus 5W-30 probably won't make a huge difference either way... but given that your oil should be running cooler you probably can get away with lighter weight oils, like the 0W-30 synthetics etc
That's exactly what I thought too. Last week I was having a discussion with another member that has an oil cooler setup also and he was explaining how he's been running 10w-30. I'm assuming more viscosity(10w-30) would raise pressure, which is what I want to avoid. I was going to try out 10w-30 just to see how it handled. Prior to the oil cooler set-up, I've always ran 5w-30 with no problems. They car is 4 1/2 years old with 31k miles on it. It hasn't been until recently that it has started to consume about 1/2 qt. of oil between changes.
By the way... nice pics... keep them coming. I wish more forum members could be like Vo
Thanks bro. I always feel like pictures are worth a thousand words. It allows members to get good visuals when they are searching for their answers.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 PM
saberphx

You spend so much on these things you would already be well on your way to a nice TT set up, or a budget bottom end built. Not knockin you though, those are some baller parts you got there.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
VO...
Administrator

Edit: although I'm a little confused what you did with the dremel
I just caught the edit...

I clipped out the big pieces of the grill 1st. Then I put an emery wheel cutter on the Dremmel, cranked it to 8k rpm, then made a fine cut about 1/16 inch from the edge where the black plastic meets the painted portion of the bumper. After I cut all the way around, I used a steel file to smoothen & level out all the edges...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by saberphx
You spend so much on these things you would already be well on your way to a nice TT set up, or a budget bottom end built. Not knockin you though, those are some baller parts you got there.
I hear ya. The only thing that has stopped me from going FI is seeing all the hardaches my team mates go through. I seen it all from their car not starting & over heating problems to blowing their engines under normal driving normal. I'm more on the conservative, play it on the safe side type of guy.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by dave079
Looks awesome Val!
Thanks Dave

Quick Reply: Project ARC..Engine bay build in progress..