Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

**** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDirty Z33
k thanks. Just thought it was related to the topic because some are saying its not really wroth getting the 4.08 gears unless you got the flash..
They're talking about drag racing the quarter mile and running through the traps in fourth gear. You need to turn the engine higher to stay in fourth gear with the 4.08 gears. If you have an early non-RevUp engine, you need to flash it to raise the RPM limiter... or shift to fifth gear.

If you aren't a drag racer, it's totally irrelevant.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Dead_man

First of all Great Thread.

I have a 03 track pack with OEM LSD, Uprev, jwt intake, Tein Flex Coilovers, 3 inch ground clearance and header back exhaust no cats.( They hear me before they see me rolling)

Rear Wheels i am running ( 19x10.5x-3 offset with 255x35x19)

Going to do, 4.08 gear set. What i am cant decide if i should change the factory LSD or will the factory one will do the job. And if i do change it to The Cusco Type RS LSD. What is the difference i will notice.
I dont give it all the time, i am fan of cornering.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 PM
maxel

I thought the Z was for style and the s2000 and mx5s for cornering?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
OldDirty Z33

Originally Posted by maxel
I thought the Z was for style and the s2000 and mx5s for cornering?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Dead_man

I dont track the car but some times i do drive aggressive around corner and straightaways.

Is it worth it to do the after market Lsd.
Will the Factory lsd handle the 4.08 gears or will the back end be all over the road.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 AM
chrisl113

im trying to figure out the torque increase, since gears mulitply torque, 4.083 vs 3.538 right? just the gear alone is what, 14% increased? so one could devise its like 268 stock tq + 37.5 tq = 305.5? this alone should break the hr z in the 4.8 or 4.9 0-60 right? maybe 13.1 or 13.2 1/4's? dont tease me if my math or thought process is off, im posting this more as a question than a statement!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 AM
chrisl113

also since i know nothing about changing out the differential im curious on whats the best way to convert to the 4.083 gears AND get the vlsd, i have the base model. i know there a few different ways to get the vlsd, auto or manual, pumpkin or no pumpkin, and all the combinations in between, but what might be cheaper up front might cost more down the road for a shop to put together. so i need someone to tell me do if i buy the 4.083 gears by themself, what else should i get? do i need a "pumpkin" since the gears have to be swapped out anyways? should i get the automatic 3.3 vlsd since its cheaper and i dont need the gear anyways? thanks so much i really appreciate it! cheers
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 AM
frizille

Originally Posted by gothchick
Bitter sweet: Reality check.

Many shops may say they can do the swap, but until they actually dig into it, they'll find they probably can't do it "right". It takes very specialized expensive 'nissan' tools and specialized 'nissan' experience to do the 4.08 swap right.

This 4.08 swap is apparently radically different than the somewhat standarized 350Evo 3.9 swap. And trying to source shims for this kit is a nightmare. The thing about it is, if the swap isn't done right, you won't know the diff is eating itself up for at least 5k miles. By then it's too late and you're buying a new diff.

I have litterally called everyone and come up empty:

*ATL (Balanced Performance, Lamar Waldon, Poston, Twisted Engineering, Lethal Performance, all the nissan dealerships, drag shops, 4x4 shops, friends of friends - I don't know if Forged can do it but I don't deal with them anymore)

*East Coast (Function Tuned, Jap Trix, 350Evo, waiting on a callback from MRC & Perf Factory)

*West Coast (Perf nissan, Technosquare, SPG)

And after asking the right questions, have discovered very few can actually do this swap "correctly". And I have found only two places in the USA that even stock the shims for this kit. One in NC and one in Cali.

But on a positive note: GTM and Injected Performance say they have the right tools and experience for the job. So I'll be boxing up all the parts and shipping them out along with my pumpkin. Total cost of the swap (parts, labor, shipping, rental car, etc) about $1,700...

So, if you're going to do this mod, just plan ahead and expect a week or two of downtime.
Where did you source your shims from? I'm in the same boat as you except I've got the pumpkin already at the shop and now realizing everyone who said they could do it can't. I finally found a guy who can do it but cannot find the shims needed anywhere...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shims can only come from the dealer
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
chrisl113

so the 3.9 is much easier? but isnt it much more expensive for the gear itself?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I don't understand your question? Installing any of the ring and pinions requires the same parts and same amount of effort. All the shims come either from your existing rear, or if those sizes don't work, must come from Nissan
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 AM
chrisl113

i was responding to what i read in the quote on #514
"It takes very specialized expensive 'nissan' tools and specialized 'nissan' experience to do the 4.08 swap right.

This 4.08 swap is apparently radically different than the somewhat standarized 350Evo 3.9 swap"
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

ALL of the ring and pinions require professional install and specialized tools. It does not matter what ring and pinion you are installing or who it came from. None of them are standardized, not even replacing one 3.5 with another 3.5. There are, for example, 14 (I think) different shim sizes that Nissan makes. It can take any combo of them to get things to line up, no matter if you're installing a 3.5, 2.7, 3.9, 4.08, or anything else that fits. That is just how this sorta stuff goes, and why it takes the right type of shop to handle the install.

I'll give you a perfect example, and to show that Erin's post is not really accurate (gothchick). I HAVE 350Evo gears in my car. The reason was because back in 2005 (I think?) when I got them, nothing else was available - they were the only game in town. When it came time to spec it all out and put it back together, my existing shims were not properly sized. So, new shims were needed from Nissan. The exact sizes I needed were on backorder from Nissan, so I had to just get the next closest ones. Thankfully it worked out. At this stage of the game, as seasoned as the car is, I've not heard of any of the shim sizes not being available from Nissan. Many people have the exact opposite experience, and are able to simply reuse their existing shims from their standard ring and pinion. There is no way to know if you will or won't be able to reuse them in advance.

Bottom line is this - there is no such thing as a standardizes install with any ring and pinion. It may, or may not require differently sized shims. Anyone selling the gears should tell you this, and any installer who says they are capable of doing this, should know it in advance.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-08-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
frizille

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
ALL of the ring and pinions require professional install and specialized tools. It does not matter what ring and pinion you are installing or who it came from. None of them are standardized, not even replacing one 3.5 with another 3.5. There are, for example, 14 (I think) different shim sizes that Nissan makes. It can take any combo of them to get things to line up, no matter if you're installing a 3.5, 2.7, 3.9, 4.08, or anything else that fits. That is just how this sorta stuff goes, and why it takes the right type of shop to handle the install.

I'll give you a perfect example, and to show that Erin's post is not really accurate (gothchick). I HAVE 350Evo gears in my car. The reason was because back in 2005 (I think?) when I got them, nothing else was available - they were the only game in town. When it came time to spec it all out and put it back together, my existing shims were not properly sized. So, new shims were needed from Nissan. The exact sizes I needed were on backorder from Nissan, so I had to just get the next closest ones. Thankfully it worked out. At this stage of the game, as seasoned as the car is, I've not heard of any of the shim sizes not being available from Nissan. Many people have the exact opposite experience, and are able to simply reuse their existing shims from their standard ring and pinion. There is no way to know if you will or won't be able to reuse them in advance.

Bottom line is this - there is no such thing as a standardizes install with any ring and pinion. It may, or may not require differently sized shims. Anyone selling the gears should tell you this, and any installer who says they are capable of doing this, should know it in advance.
The problem I have is supposedly the shim sizes I need, Nissan doesn't make. I'm trying to get more details from the install shop so I can dig around and find what they need and get it here but if anyone knows if there is some "special" size for the 4.083 gear install that'd be helpful too.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

there are 14 different sizes that Nissan makes as I recall

I find it all but impossible to believe that after all the people who have installed 4.08's worldwide that one person needs some random shim size that Nissan doesn't make. It might pay to take the rear to another shop for a second opinion, or to Nissan directly. If not, I can refer you to someone in Florida, who is extremely familiar with these and can put it together easily for you
Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 AM
JK_HRZ

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
there are 14 different sizes that Nissan makes as I recall

I find it all but impossible to believe that after all the people who have installed 4.08's worldwide that one person needs some random shim size that Nissan doesn't make. It might pay to take the rear to another shop for a second opinion, or to Nissan directly. If not, I can refer you to someone in Florida, who is extremely familiar with these and can put it together easily for you
Someone is Florida? Like who?

Also, I just purchased the 4.083 Gears with install kit 1 and 2 from you (Adam) on your website (Z1performance). Do the install kits come with the proper "shim sizes"?

Also when I take my car to get the final drive gear installed, there is no way to tell what shim size's I need beforehand? How much are these shim's from the dealer?

Sorry, I know those are alot of questions, but I just wanna know a price range of how much the installation is going to cost, thanks!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JK_HRZ
Someone is Florida? Like who?
Contact Ben @ PuddyMod Racing

PuddyModRacing@tampabay.rr.com

Originally Posted by JK_HRZ
Also, I just purchased the 4.083 Gears with install kit 1 and 2 from you (Adam) on your website (Z1performance). Do the install kits come with the proper "shim sizes"?

Also when I take my car to get the final drive gear installed, there is no way to tell what shim size's I need beforehand? How much are these shim's from the dealer?

Sorry, I know those are alot of questions, but I just wanna know a price range of how much the installation is going to cost, thanks!
From the item description on our site:

"Please note that in addition to the parts shown, there are also several sizes of side lash adjustment shims that Nissan offers. There is no way for us to determine what size(s) your car might need. The ONLY way to determine the proper size lash adjusters is during the installation by a competant installer."

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2833

The shims are in the $15-$20 range as I recall, each, and there are 2 if I recall correctly

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-11-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 AM
JK_HRZ

ok thanks.

Hmmm so there's no way of telling which shim sizes I need until they take the pumpkin apart and install the new final drive gear, right? That sucks cause I'm going to have to go to a dealer and buy the proper shims and then go back to the shop who's doing the install, correct?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the shop doing the install should handle all of this for you - if they aren't, find someone else IMHO
Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
JK_HRZ

I didnt want to make a whole thread on my review for these gears so I'll just do a quick one here. First off, thanks Adam at Z1 Performance for quick and prompt delivery with quick responses to my questions. Second, thanks to the OP of this thread, This final drive gear is amazing.

Anyways I have a 2008 HR with intakes and full exhaust. I also have the JWT clutch & flywheel combo with some other goodies. I purchased the 4.083 Final Drive Gear and just got it installed today. Install was 280$ and took about 7 hours to do. I did not need to replace any shims.

Impressions: Wow. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear have really improved. The acceleration is very noticeable. 1st gear I spun with the stock 3.5FD Gear and it still spins, so I cant really give a review there. There is also improved throttle response due to the higher RPM's in each gear. Can't really say anything else except for the fact that this is a great NA Mod.

Thanks, J.

Quick Reply: **** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****