Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

**** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
micmicmotorbike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been going through a nightmare trying to get these gears installed correctly.
this guy in jersey was supposed to be legit, but turns out, not so much. the gears have been in and out my car 3x's now, and about to be a forth. i personally removed the diff today, and will be bringing it to this guy friday, so i'll have to keep my fingers crossed. seems like he never measured backlash, and was hoping the stock shims would work-he was wrong. secondly, he wasn't torquing everything to spec. a friend told me his shop workers were seen installing it all with an impact wrench, which means they probably destroyed the crush washer, which would mess things up as well. u wouldn't get a proper backlash anyways with a crushed washer. so i'm waiting on another crush washer, and gonna have him use only hand tools with a torque wrench, and have him show me markings where the gears make contact before closing it up. wish me luck. i already had to take my subbie wagon on all season tires, daily driver, on a track day because my car wasn't ready.
to cut to the chase, make sure u go to a reputable driveline shop!!! and even when u do, it never hurts to know everything u can about the install, so u don't have to do it 4 months, and 4 re-installs later.
after all i've read, i feel like i can do the install myself. anyways, i'll keep u guys posted.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by micmicmotorbike
i have been going through a nightmare trying to get these gears installed correctly.
this guy in jersey was supposed to be legit, but turns out, not so much. the gears have been in and out my car 3x's now, and about to be a forth. i personally removed the diff today, and will be bringing it to this guy friday, so i'll have to keep my fingers crossed. seems like he never measured backlash, and was hoping the stock shims would work-he was wrong. secondly, he wasn't torquing everything to spec. a friend told me his shop workers were seen installing it all with an impact wrench, which means they probably destroyed the crush washer, which would mess things up as well. u wouldn't get a proper backlash anyways with a crushed washer. so i'm waiting on another crush washer, and gonna have him use only hand tools with a torque wrench, and have him show me markings where the gears make contact before closing it up. wish me luck. i already had to take my subbie wagon on all season tires, daily driver, on a track day because my car wasn't ready.
to cut to the chase, make sure u go to a reputable driveline shop!!! and even when u do, it never hurts to know everything u can about the install, so u don't have to do it 4 months, and 4 re-installs later.
after all i've read, i feel like i can do the install myself. anyways, i'll keep u guys posted.
Ouch bro, that sounds like a nightmare, sorry to hear! I had a nissan tech do my install on his own time and he did an amazing job the first time. Only charged me 120 bucks to take the diff off, open it up, swap the gears, reinstall the diff, and replace the fluids with redline (shoulda gone with motul, but oh well). Good luck bro, let us know how it ends up
Old 07-27-2010, 04:52 AM
viceversa

^nice!! what did you do, go to the nissan dealership waving some cash in the air with your diff and gears in your arms? lol but seriously
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 AM
RedlineAZ

Lol!!! No, he's been a buddy of mine for a few years so on his day off I swung the car by his house and let him do it there.

Originally Posted by viceversa
^nice!! what did you do, go to the nissan dealership waving some cash in the air with your diff and gears in your arms? lol but seriously
Old 07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
micmicmotorbike

sick deal!! wish he was around here. he'd get a ton of business.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 PM
ac419

anyone know of local shops in so cal who can install this for a good price and a good job?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
hugo350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah same here any shops in san diego or so cal that will install these im willing to commute as far as az im meeting up with ttrank for some headlight mods in a bit, might as well knock 2 birds with one stone
Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM
ac419

i know technosquare is good.. but a little pricey
Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 AM
bswanny

So dumb question but after reading through a few of these threads I still am lost on if it makes your 0-60 time faster? I understand you have to row throw gears faster therefore most likely decreasing your speed but I am still curious. I know 0-60 means absolutely nothing, but I am just curious.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Acceleration goes up, top speed goes down.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Correction: Acceleration when starting in first gear goes up. If you're starting from second gear, there is no increase in overall acceleration over stock.

To answer the question, yes. 0-60 time (as well as 1/4 mile) will definitely increase, assuming you can still get traction. However, the shortening of each subsequent gear offsets the increased acceleration in each one (i.e. stock gearing would still be in the faster-accelerating second gear while the modified FD would be in a slower-accelerating 3rd at the same speed). This has the effect of nullifying any practical application after first gear. Unless you're on a race track in which the gearing happens to be advantageous.

It's a bit misleading to simply say "acceleration goes up", when it only does so conditionally. The mechanical limitation of the top speed definitely goes down, though.

Last edited by onagao; 08-30-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the gears for over a year now, still love em and smile every day
Old 08-31-2010, 01:06 PM
myz8u209

hi i have a 06 350z base model with lsd and i was wondering if the frontier final drive gear will fit its a 4.083? What year frontier? Has anybody done a swap? thank you
Old 09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
bswanny

Has anyone had this mod and drove in the winter (snow)? I want to know if the traction is completely usesless in the cold. Thank you so much
Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any z is essentially useless in the snow regardless of it's final drive. It is as capable as your tires and the driver the gears have nothing to do with it
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 PM
MPD47

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Any z is essentially useless in the snow regardless of it's final drive. It is as capable as your tires and the driver the gears have nothing to do with it
Could not have said it better.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 AM
bswanny

my blizzacks make it very useable in snow. Going back to the question, I guess then I'm missing something but I thought the changing of final gears gives you more torque, lower in the rpm band? Or no?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The change in effective torque is the same at every rpm point because the gears have a fixed ratio, they are not variable. You control the gas pedal, and ultimately, that is what makes the difference. If you drive the car sensibly for the conditions, it will not behave measurably different in bad weather vs what it behaves like with the original gears.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 PM
bswanny

The change in effective torque is the same at every rpm point because the gears have a fixed ratio, they are not variable. You control the gas pedal, and ultimately, that is what makes the difference. If you drive the car sensibly for the conditions, it will not behave measurably different in bad weather vs what it behaves like with the original gears.
Perfect! exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you
Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
bswanny

So when you guys mention reflash, you mean using something like COBB acessport would be sufficent correct? The reflash is just to change your redline? Thank you

Quick Reply: **** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****