Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

question on clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 11:02 AM
billdo

Default question on clutch

When I was taught to drive stick 16 years ago, I was told to put it in neutral and let out the clutch when waiting at lights and stuff, to save wear on the clutch. So I have always been really conscious of it. If it looks like I'll be sitting for more than 15-20 seconds, I go through this, and then quickly shift into 1st when the light is about to turn. I know sometimes it's just more comfortable to not sit there holding the clutch in for a long time, but I'm really just wondering if the logic is wrong? Does it wear the clutch to keep it fully engaged and in gear when sitting at a complete stop?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007 | 12:19 PM
n1sm0r

Originally Posted by billdo
When I was taught to drive stick 16 years ago, I was told to put it in neutral and let out the clutch when waiting at lights and stuff, to save wear on the clutch. So I have always been really conscious of it. If it looks like I'll be sitting for more than 15-20 seconds, I go through this, and then quickly shift into 1st when the light is about to turn. I know sometimes it's just more comfortable to not sit there holding the clutch in for a long time, but I'm really just wondering if the logic is wrong? Does it wear the clutch to keep it fully engaged and in gear when sitting at a complete stop?

Thanks

Is this a serious question? Do you know how a clutch works?

To answer: No, it doesn't wear the clutch... why would it? There's no friction.
Old 10-11-2007 | 06:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

it doesn't wear the clutch but it most certainly wears the throw out bearing - your technique is sound
Old 10-12-2007 | 02:31 PM
RebelinRI
Banned

+ 1000^^ Adam is the man with the answers. You should work in a speed shop or something.
Old 10-12-2007 | 06:51 PM
sibble

Thanks

that's exactly what i do... and exactly what my buddy in his z28 does.
yea... it's noisy, but oh well

just make sure you hold it in through the drivethrough, i cant stand the noise when im close to a median or building
Old 10-14-2007 | 07:05 PM
Eazzy

Driving/shifting is second nature so I had to think what I do.

I disengage to neutral, then when ready, I do a quick shift to 2nd to get my syncros spinning, then quick shift to 1st and hit it.

Just my habit and I believe a just one.

Fact of the matter though, is a lot of rules were passed from Grandfather to Father to Son and are just plain Crap. This is one that has a little merit
Old 10-14-2007 | 07:09 PM
SuperBlack350z

yeah, it wears out the throw out bearing. I'm always in neutral at stop lights or anytime i'm slowing down. I try to not use the throw out bearing or clutch when i dont' have to. I barely slip the clutch. I can always get atleast 100k miles out of oem clutches or more.
Old 10-14-2007 | 10:42 PM
billdo

Originally Posted by n1sm0r
Is this a serious question? Do you know how a clutch works?

To answer: No, it doesn't wear the clutch... why would it? There's no friction.
Maybe you could explain to all of us how a clutch works?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2007 | 08:08 AM
Eazzy

Maybe you could explain to all of us how a clutch works?

Thanks
If your serious, I will. If your not......Due to the fact that I type like an old woman, I wont waste my time. All clutchs are the same as far as concept, whether it is in a 1939 Ford 9N tractor or an irrigation pump or a 350Z
Old 10-15-2007 | 01:25 PM
billdo

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
If your serious, I will. If your not......Due to the fact that I type like an old woman, I wont waste my time. All clutchs are the same as far as concept, whether it is in a 1939 Ford 9N tractor or an irrigation pump or a 350Z
No thanks, I got it. I was just being a smart*** to someone who replied earlier.