Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

MD Spacer + BTDC17 today. Should be interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 AM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD Spacer + BTDC17 today. Should be interesting.

So this is both intake and tuning based, I guess...so I thought I'd just put it in this section.

I'm about to have my 5/16 installed today, and then heading over to my friend's house to get the timing redone to 17-degrees via Consult II. I had the BTDC@17 performed on my 5th gen Maxima, and it worked extremely well on the venerable VQ30. I'll report back with impressions. I may also get the JWT PC installed sometime in the next few weeks too as the last performance mod for the year.

Nismo exhaust and y-pipe will likely come at the end of the winter.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM
SniperHunter

The spacer is in. Took us 1 hour, with rxkevin doing most of the work and me assisting. Definitely PM him if you need any parts for your Zs. Outstanding guy.

So yeah, I haven't had a chance to really test it yet, seeing as how Kevin only lives 3 blocks away from me. But I do feel a punchier low-end (2-3k RPM), and the engine note is a little louder as well. Again, impressions are based on the 30 second drive home. LOL. When I head out to my friend's house, it'll be a nice 8 mile drive - so I'll report back. =)
Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 AM
VisionaryRacing
Banned

Hope you enjoy. Really wish I had my set of tools and magnetic tray for all the plenum bolts.

If you have any problems, just msg me.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM
ssnake86

Last edited by ssnake86; 10-29-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 PM
SniperHunter

Well, I can honestly say that I'm blown away by the difference this spacer made. I really can't believe something this simple achieves results like this. I honestly went in with low expectations, thinking I wouldn't feel much. So after a few test runs through the first three gears, I can honestly say that the power increase actually scared me a bit.

I had adrenaline running through my legs for quite some time after I had stopped. You can feel a power increase from about 3500RPM, but everything past 5000RPM is simply incredible and redline comes before you even know it. Damn. Just damn.

Thankfully, I was able to test it out right behind my girlfriend's house, on a fantastic straight patch of road with no cross streets, houses, backyards, driveways, no shoulders for cops to sit on, no cars, nothing. It's a wide two lane expressway parallel to a highway, and this particular stretch is closed off with sound deadening walls on each side too. Really a great place to stretch the car's legs.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 PM
SniperHunter

Oh and the BTDC17 will be performed tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
SniperHunter

Differences I've noticed with the BTDC17 is improved low-end torque. Furthermore, as if the car wasn't already punchy in higher gears, it is even punchier now. Cruising in 5th gear feels stronger, and the same goes for 3rd when you're around the towns.

Also, downshifting creates a larger burst, which feels especially nice, so there's clearly some top-end power gained. WOT with downshift induces some traction loss in 2nd gear. I felt it with the TCS off, and then confirmed it by turning it on and watching the SLIP light blip once - this has never occurred before.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 11-01-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM
sloppymax

the advance should go throughout the curve. the way to prove that is to retard the base timing to something around 10 to see that the car feels like junk in every rpm, not just the low end. i used the autoenginuity to do that on my g35 and it was very noticeable.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my N/A power gains are not what I'd call "scary"

except in the rain...
Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by sloppymax
the advance should go throughout the curve. the way to prove that is to retard the base timing to something around 10 to see that the car feels like junk in every rpm, not just the low end. i used the autoenginuity to do that on my g35 and it was very noticeable.
Yeah, like I described, I feel a gain in the low-end and top-end, and mid-end (cruising speeds).
Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

except in the rain...
Don't see where I said it was.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I can honestly say that the power increase actually scared me a bit.
Im sorry but that made me Seems like your a$$ dyno is WAYYYY optimistic-god forbid you ever ride in or drive a FI Z you may shart yourself...

Glad your enjoying the mod-but add the 03' lower collector and the TQ in the midrange will be much better. You dont need to buy the MD one, just add a stocker it will provide 95% of the gains-the machining on the front 2 runners isnt a huge deal. Im buying a stocker for my GF's Revup, "machining" it myself and adding a spacer. MREV 2 for less than $400
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

yah if he feels the difference then he does. and if it works then it does

dont ridacule him and tell him wat todo. advise

not everyone is 30 and has all the money to waste upon there car..

na might be some all have..
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Alberto
Im sorry but that made me Seems like your a$$ dyno is WAYYYY optimistic-god forbid you ever ride in or drive a FI Z you may shart yourself...

Glad your enjoying the mod-but add the 03' lower collector and the TQ in the midrange will be much better. You dont need to buy the MD one, just add a stocker it will provide 95% of the gains-the machining on the front 2 runners isnt a huge deal. Im buying a stocker for my GF's Revup, "machining" it myself and adding a spacer. MREV 2 for less than $400

I cant imagine being in a FI car... well ia have but not a Z. oh and alberto.... Id feel bad takin a spin in ur car.. cuz i know id sh*t my self
Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by Alberto

The reason why it "scared" me was because the car actually fish-tailed sideways just a bit. Considering that I'm on winter tires now, dry traction is sort of meh. And as far as your initial comment...I drive an M6 like once a week - big brother's car.

Btw, I don't think I need a 287 lower collector. I have a 5AT.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:43 PM
ajcool2

The reason why it "scared" me was because the car actually fish-tailed sideways just a bit. Considering that I'm on winter tires now, dry traction is sort of meh. And as far as your initial comment...I drive an M6 like once a week - big brother's car.

Btw, I don't think I need a 287 lower collector. I have a 5AT.
Have fun arnold. Might be selling my Z soon.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 AM
SniperHunter

No!! Why, dude?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

except in the rain...
Don't see where I said it was.

Short term memory loss?

Well, I can honestly say that I'm blown away by the difference this spacer made. I really can't believe something this simple achieves results like this. I honestly went in with low expectations, thinking I wouldn't feel much. So after a few test runs through the first three gears, I can honestly say that the power increase actually scared me a bit.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 PM
SniperHunter

Short term memory loss?
Scary =|= Scared.

The reason why it "scared" me was because the car actually fish-tailed sideways just a bit. Considering that I'm on winter tires now, dry traction is sort of meh.
I even clarified it.

In any case, I'm loving the improved low-end, really makes the car a lot more fun to drive around the town.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 11-02-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Arnold K. I feel you man... you were very surprised with the power gains. I know when I got my spacer installed in my 04 I had a HUGE GRIN on my face. The Z is a very fast car for being NA. I came from a sedan so for me a Z's power was scary...nothing wrong with that.