Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

03.5 5AT: Transgo Valve body and Edge Racing TC

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM
SoCalTed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03.5 5AT: Transgo Valve body and Edge Racing TC

Posting my recent acquisition for reference in case there are other 5AT'rs out there that are looking to upgrade their tranny.

Transgo Performance (edit: removed p/n as Transgo is not in prod yet) VB/Shift Kit - 250 line pressure (oem 205) maintains line pressure thru the shift with a valve within a valve to overide the op pressure so the solenoid can't override the higher PSI.

Clutch pack has Nissan Titan pistons (smaller) to accommodate +2 clutch plates on gears 1 & 2, +1 on gears 3 & 4. Not sure if they did anything with the bands, but I am sure they cleaned them up.

Edge Racing Torque Converter - Street Edge series with a 2800 stall, flash brazed

Cheers, Ted

Last edited by SoCalTed; 11-01-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalTed
Transgo Performance (RE4RO1A PSK) VB/Shift Kit - 250 line pressure (oem 205) maintains line pressure thru the shift with a valve within a valve to overide the op pressure so the solenoid can't override the higher PSI.
I'm a little leery of that one. Our transmission model number is the RE5R05A and its not a 4 speed auto. Looks like a typo, not going to work.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Are torque converters between the different years, Z/G, coupe/sedan interchangeable?

SoCalTed - can you confirm that is the right valve body? Like helldorado said, it's odd - do you lose a gear?

Did you do a full tranny upgrade - you mentioned clutch packs...

I have the GTM-5AT that I am still "learning", but I'm thinking while the 3200 stall is amazing for straight line performance and highway cruising, it may be suboptimal for the twisties and city driving...
Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 PM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by rcdash
Are torque converters between the different years, Z/G, coupe/sedan interchangeable?

SoCalTed - can you confirm that is the right valve body? Like helldorado said, it's odd - do you lose a gear?

I have the GTM-5AT that I am still "learning", but I'm thinking while the 3200 stall is amazing for straight line performance and highway cruising, it may be suboptimal for the twisties and city driving...
It was a couple years ago but IIRC the guys at Edge told me that the TC's are not interchangeable and thats why you have to ship them your TC.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

That's what I recall now also coachk... I picked up a spare from an 06 for almost nothing but I should've thought of this issue. Probably will just stick it in storage. I'm starting to get used to the 3200 stall...
Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 PM
coachk
Banned

That's what I recall now also coachk... I picked up a spare from an 06 for almost nothing but I should've thought of this issue. Probably will just stick it in storage. I'm starting to get used to the 3200 stall...

At what RPM are you starting to boost at?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:13 AM
SoCalTed

Originally Posted by helldorado
I'm a little leery of that one. Our transmission model number is the RE5R05A and its not a 4 speed auto. Looks like a typo, not going to work.
Granted, I could have the kit # wrong, since one didn't exist when the work was done... however I think with this application is that they do not modify the 5th gear, since you never get there in racing.

I'll verify and post back. In any case, you tell them your year, make and model and they'll take the stupid out of my post and provide you the right kit. Nobody orders/ships something like this without a little research.

rcdash... yes it was a full tranny upgrade. I will call transpro later today and verify the kit #. No I did not lose a gear, 5th is still there (just not as fun as the lower ones ) Not sure on the TC interchangeability. I don't like to knowingly give bad info, so I will clarify with a Nissan source if they are, and where the lines are drawn.

-T
Old 11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
SoCalTed

OK.. called Transgo, and yes, you are correct. Their "future" SKU for this will be the RE5, but they have not gone into production. So mine is still considered a 1 off custom. Sorry about that.

As for the TC's.. I have been told that "YES" they are interchangeable. HOWEVER, tolerances on the TCs change constantly, so you may not get one that performs as well as your old one... you can have differences as much as +/- 20 hp. So it is best to have your own modified, or get one from a trusted buddy.

Last edited by SoCalTed; 11-01-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to know, thanks for clearing that up for us.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Any updates? I went to their link and it's not updated yet.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM
WhiteOnWhite350z

OK.. called Transgo, and yes, you are correct. Their "future" SKU for this will be the RE5, but they have not gone into production. So mine is still considered a 1 off custom. Sorry about that.

As for the TC's.. I have been told that "YES" they are interchangeable. HOWEVER, tolerances on the TCs change constantly, so you may not get one that performs as well as your old one... you can have differences as much as +/- 20 hp. So it is best to have your own modified, or get one from a trusted buddy.

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=262&page=1

with new part number ,available from GTM
Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM
gregom

Can someone explain this stall RPM to me? I don't understand it at all...

BTW how much all this cost? I'm assuming shifts are much more quick and crisp after?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 PM
brents44

RE4RO1A def a typo i ordered mine and its the kit thats under it when ur looking on transgo.com we need the re5ro5a kit
Old 05-08-2008, 09:20 PM
brents44

oh yeah sorry bud but its not one off lol they are in production big time.if i can get enough people together i can get a group buy in pretty cheap
Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Drewer

Hmmmm. . . does SGP use the same kit? Or did they develop theirs in house? I'd be interested in one of these too. . .GBFTW!

http://www.transgo.com/rpg_nissan.php
Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

What's the diff in between the transgo shift kit (firmer shifts/upped line pressure) and their reprogramming kits?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Drewer

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
What's the diff in between the transgo shift kit (firmer shifts/upped line pressure) and their reprogramming kits?
I thought I read somewhere that the "reprogramming kit" does what you mentioned (line pressure increase via different springs, new seals, increased passage diameter etc) and the "shift kit" is more along the lines of the maxima resistor mod (ie electronic improvement only?)

http://www.transgo.com/contact.php

Lemme know what you find.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:37 PM
SoCalTed

Shift Kit - Tech data & parts to reduce complaints and increase trans life before and during major service. Often makes shifts crisper, but not rough.

Reprogramming Kit Has tech & parts used in Shift Kit plus tech & parts for firmer shifts and enhanced driver shift speed control.

===

Transgo does not list a shift kit for our ATs, only the reprogramming kit RE5R05A-HD2. I didn't get a break out of all the individual changes on mine, as it was R&D with Gurgen and Gil. It went through a hell of a lot of changes/refinement though.

I used the term 'shift kit", originally, due to semantics. I'll my previous rides have had "shift kits", so I used a term that was familiar.

brents44: My kit was a one off and was not in production at the time of my post. But, like all good things and as the intent/purpose of R&D, it is now available in production.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Drewer

Shift Kit - Tech data & parts to reduce complaints and increase trans life before and during major service. Often makes shifts crisper, but not rough.

Reprogramming Kit Has tech & parts used in Shift Kit plus tech & parts for firmer shifts and enhanced driver shift speed control.

===

Transgo does not list a shift kit for our ATs, only the reprogramming kit RE5R05A-HD2. I didn't get a break out of all the individual changes on mine, as it was R&D with Gurgen and Gil. It went through a hell of a lot of changes/refinement though.

I used the term 'shift kit", originally, due to semantics. I'll my previous rides have had "shift kits", so I used a term that was familiar.

brents44: My kit was a one off and was not in production at the time of my post. But, like all good things and as the intent/purpose of R&D, it is now available in production.
So. . .does SGP use this same transgo reprogramming kit in their VB upgrade?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
SoCalTed

I don't know.

-T

Quick Reply: 03.5 5AT: Transgo Valve body and Edge Racing TC