Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch Question - Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 AM
thenextbillgate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Question - Slipping?

Hey guys,

I have an 05 Z with 19k. I got it with 7k on what I'm pretty sure where stock tires (so I'm assuming not abused). I don't drive all that aggressively, but yesterday it was raining, and since I usually don't have it out in the rain, I decided to have some fun.

I did a few donuts in parking lot, then went to pull onto the street. I revved it, released the clutch and pulled into the street. The tires were spinning, and I shifted into 2nd...I *thought* the tires were spinning, until I shifted into third, then fourth with no grab...that's when I realized it was the clutch. I smelled it soon after. Today I took it for a short drive, no aggressive driving, and when I arrived, I could smell the clutch again, although the clutch seems to operate normally.

Its done it to me on dry pavement a few times when downshifting and trying to take off quickly, but I always thought maybe I hadn't released the pedal completely...

I've searched the board, but still have some questions:

Is this 'slipping' normal, and is it something I need to take to the dealer for warranty work? Will they try to blame it on me? How will they reproduce?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM
GA_VQ

If it smells like burning, it's NOT normal!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:57 AM
thenextbillgate

Okay, true...stupid question. I guess I'm wondering if it's a problem where the clutch needs to be replaced or if it's something the dealer can adjust.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:39 AM
WhiteNoiz

Sounds like your clutch is going out or you glazed your clutch doing cookies.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:16 AM
thenextbillgate

So the slipping is an indication that the clutch is bad? Not an adjustment that needs to be made?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with how clutches work or if there are any adjustments.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Heres the deal. Im my opinion, the stock clutch in the 350z isnt strong enough to handle the power of the car. During dounuts, the clutch often doesnt grab because its glazed over or other reasons. The smell, although annoying and nerveracking, will go away in a week or so if you burned it bad enough. After this happened to me, i put a JWT clutch and flywheel in and no problems ever again.

My advice replace it or live with it slipping occasionaly.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM
thenextbillgate

Thanks for the opinion...I read where others had had problems, but I didn't know if I should do something about it.

I guess I don't want to have the clutch go out completely right after the warranty expires and have to pay $2500 to replace it (or go aftermarket...either way if it's faulty I shouldn't have to pay).
Old 12-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Hate to burst your bubble but the clutch isnt covered under waranty. And you can pick up a JWT clutch and fly for about 700-750 and my install was around 400.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaser720
Hate to burst your bubble but the clutch isnt covered under waranty. And you can pick up a JWT clutch and fly for about 700-750 and my install was around 400.
+1

I only got my jwt combo for 725 shipped which is a great deal. Comes with everything you need to install.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
thenextbillgate

Not covered under warranty??? How can they do that? So it could be slipping the day I drove it off the lot and they wouldn't do anything about it? I can understand if I abused it, but I haven't. It slips under normal driving conditions...
Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thenextbillgate
Not covered under warranty??? How can they do that? So it could be slipping the day I drove it off the lot and they wouldn't do anything about it? I can understand if I abused it, but I haven't. It slips under normal driving conditions...
clutches are never under warranty.

You were the one that damaged your clutch, why should that be covered under warranty? It will only cost about $1200.00 out the door to get a JWT installed or you can get OEM stuff installed for about $2200.00.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
clutches are never under warranty.

You were the one that damaged your clutch, why should that be covered under warranty? It will only cost about $1200.00 out the door to get a JWT installed or you can get OEM stuff installed for about $2200.00.
What he said. The only way the clutch is repaired under warranty is if the clutch assembly itself has failed somehow. The clutch is a wear-and-tear part and is subject to replacement just like brakes and tires. It all depends on how fast your driving habits wear it down.

The less you feather your clutch, the longer it will last.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How does the JWT clutch feel pedal-wise? I'm looking into a new clutch but I want to retain the stock feel of the pedal. I hate mushy clutches. Will it engage the same?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:29 AM
kspec

a stiff clutch would be hard to use too right?

i should look into this JWT
Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
thenextbillgate

The clutch is a wear-and-tear part and is subject to replacement just like brakes and tires. It all depends on how fast your driving habits wear it down.
Many tires have a warranty, and if they failed within the warranty (knots, etc.) and there was no abuse, I'd get compensated.

If my brakes wore out extremely premature and showed no signs of abuse, I'd expect compensation.

Likewise, the clutch has not been abused and is slipping under normal driving conditions. It did it this weekend under normal driving conditions. I just can't believe that I'm supposed to accept paying 1500 - 2000 to repair a clutch on a new car with less than 20k miles that is not abused. Am I seriously alone on thinking this is rediculous??
Old 12-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many tires have a warranty, and if they failed within the warranty (knots, etc.) and there was no abuse, I'd get compensated.

If my brakes wore out extremely premature and showed no signs of abuse, I'd expect compensation.

Likewise, the clutch has not been abused and is slipping under normal driving conditions. It did it this weekend under normal driving conditions. I just can't believe that I'm supposed to accept paying 1500 - 2000 to repair a clutch on a new car with less than 20k miles that is not abused. Am I seriously alone on thinking this is rediculous??
ummm, yeah whatever you say.
Hey guys,

I have an 05 Z with 19k. I got it with 7k on what I'm pretty sure where stock tires (so I'm assuming not abused). I don't drive all that aggressively, but yesterday it was raining, and since I usually don't have it out in the rain, I decided to have some fun.

I did a few donuts in parking lot, then went to pull onto the street. I revved it, released the clutch and pulled into the street. The tires were spinning, and I shifted into 2nd...I *thought* the tires were spinning, until I shifted into third, then fourth with no grab...that's when I realized it was the clutch. I smelled it soon after. Today I took it for a short drive, no aggressive driving, and when I arrived, I could smell the clutch again, although the clutch seems to operate normally.

Its done it to me on dry pavement a few times when downshifting and trying to take off quickly, but I always thought maybe I hadn't released the pedal completely...

I've searched the board, but still have some questions:

Is this 'slipping' normal, and is it something I need to take to the dealer for warranty work? Will they try to blame it on me? How will they reproduce?
you pay to play.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
skipp69

Okay What you have to say hits home with me. I have a 2003 touring 6spd where at 4500 miles my cluth did exactly what was explained. The dealer REPLACED (Mossy Nissan Of El Cajon) My clutch, Fly and Slave Cyl. All Under Warranty. If you believe this is a fault of a bad part take it up with the Reginal Of your local Nissan Dealer. I will tell you the new parts made no impact on the frequency of the problem. Just to top it of my 2007 Has Done the Exact same thing. it's Just how the car operates.

Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM
thenextbillgate

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
ummm, yeah whatever you say.

you pay to play.
hahaha...I'm telling you, SERIOUSLY, that was the only time I had EVER done that!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 AM
thenextbillgate

Oh, and this weekend I was driving in a hilly area where it was stop-and-go. After a few minutes, the pedal wouldn't even come all the way up, and I could feel it slip for a second until it completely grabbed...all at the low RPMs (~1500 - 2000) that you would use to take off slowly from a stop in 1st.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
thenextbillgate

An update:

It's taken me this long, but I finally took the car into the dealer. I rode with a tech and he saw the obvious problem....if I take off in 1st and shift into 2nd at 3k, rev to 6k and release the cluth, it'll slip all day long. Then, they called to tell me the news I was expecting: It's not under warranty.

I understand the idea that if it's just plain worn out, then I have to foot the bill...but I want to know why it's worn out. I'm not convinced it's my driving (the above incident was truly a first time...it's rarely in the rain anyways!), so here's my question: What part of the clutch would prevent the pedal from coming all the way back up when releasing the clutch? From what I've read, simple clutch plate wear wouldn't cause that...

Quick Reply: Clutch Question - Slipping?