Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

If I buy a 4.08 Final drive gear....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:56 PM
page04Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I buy a 4.08 Final drive gear....

Would it be a good idea to:

a) Buy a diff with it
a1) If so, what kind of diff? Nismo I think is the cheapest but I heard they sometimes don't lock properly
b) Take it to a nissan dealer for installation so the rear diff is shimmed properly

Keep in mind, I don't WANT a new differential, I'm perfectly satisfied with my open rear diff But would it be a good idea too.

Car is a 2004 performance with 42k miles on it

Last edited by page04Z; 01-16-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ever plan on getting an LSD in the future you might as well get it all done at once. No use cracking the diff open twice. With the 4.08 gear, and the extra torque being applied to the ground, you will probably notice the open diff more than before.

Nismo is the cheapest, but also the noisiest and not quite as smooth, also it comes with all parts required for installation on an open diff car. Can be 1.5way or 2way.

Cusco RS seems to be a favorite much quieter than the Nismo and smoother operation. This is drop in on a VLSD car, so would require sourcing the necessary parts to drop it into an open diff. Also 1.5 way or 2way.

ATS Carbon LSD, same style as Cusco/Nismo, but with carbon discs. Its suppose to operate more quietly and smoother than normal clutch type diffs. The lock on this one isn't adjustable, and it only comes in a 1.5way.

Theres various other clutch type differentials, that are probably good too, and probably are within the price ranges of each other. The only thing about clutch type LSDs are once the clutchpacks wear out they need to be maintenanced.

The last type is the Quaife, its a gear type. It costs a little more than a clutch type LSD, but is a drop in for non-LSD equipped Z. It's a 1.5way. Also comes with a lifetime warranty even if raced, and requires zero maintenance, except fluid changes.

TK
Old 01-16-2008, 08:49 PM
ke0ki2k

yeah from what I've heard the LSD is a verryyy good idea with the gears, especially if you autocross/track/drive your car hard through curves in general. obviously I'm doin the swap, taking it in Friday morning to a shop out here in the boro, kinda taking a leap of faith with em. But they seem competent, gave me a descent price, they were close. Nissan will overcharge the hell outta you and if you DO have a warranty they'll void it (which is why I definately wouldnt take mine there, the warranty is still good for a while >.<)
Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 PM
cavallino33

I have the nismo lsd with a 3.9 fd. The nismo lsd with motul fluid is pretty tame its a little noisy at low speeds like parking lots but not bad at all. Everyone has different comfort levels and there no denying that the quaife is smoother and quieter. The nismo does its job just as well though.

Definitely don't go to the dealership. I called and got and estimate from them when I got mine just for the hell of it and the price they wanted was utterly ridiculous.

EDIT: you said your happy with your open diff yet you state you have a performance model which has a VLSD not an open diff. Though and inferior lsd it will work fine for street use.

Last edited by cavallino33; 01-16-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:20 PM
page04Z

Thanks for all the good info guys

Originally Posted by cavallino33

EDIT: you said your happy with your open diff yet you state you have a performance model which has a VLSD not an open diff. Though and inferior lsd it will work fine for street use.

Yes it seems to be an open diff. I may be mistaken, but the car is a performance (i think?) VDC control, 6spd, 18'' wheels, no brembo's (not the track). I think thats the performance?

Anyway, my diff doesnt seem to like to lock in.... One time I decided to spin a quick donut, and it locked in beautifully. Since then, i've been a one wheel wonder. Some times even if I try to kick it out it will go great, but some times it wont. Almost like I have to throw it into the turn uncontrollably hard, something that I won't do to risk losing control.

Just seems like it only wants to lock when my steering wheel is straight.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your car has the stock VLSD ^

if you find it's not up to your task (it leaves alot to be desired for any spirited driving), then a Cusco RS, Carbonetics should be on your short list...both would work amazingly well with the 4.08 setup, and literally transform the handling of your car. It is SO much more fun to drive with a good LSD!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
page04Z

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
your car has the stock VLSD ^

if you find it's not up to your task (it leaves alot to be desired for any spirited driving), then a Cusco RS, Carbonetics should be on your short list...both would work amazingly well with the 4.08 setup, and literally transform the handling of your car. It is SO much more fun to drive with a good LSD!!!

oh alright thanks for the update, sorry about the confusion.

ok i will definitely start putting money back on a diff and buy them both at once, sounds like a great upgrade from all the feedback i'm reading.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 AM
DozJr7

what about if you car has over 30k miles isnt there a package that is mandatory to buy for the 4.08? anyone know what i'm talking about... I read about it then lost the thread...
Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DozJr7
what about if you car has over 30k miles isnt there a package that is mandatory to buy for the 4.08? anyone know what i'm talking about... I read about it then lost the thread...

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2833
Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
DozJr7

appreciate it ^
Old 04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
dyno

Default Lsd

Is it really worth getting the Quife over the Cusco RS or Carbonetics? Big difference? How much more work would be involved in adding a Quife to a 2003 touring with the stock vlsd
Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

All 3 diffs work great, it all depends what you're using the car. ETA for Quaife right now is June...and that's if it was ordered now. We've been waiting on them for nearly 2 months already as it is.

The Quaife with all the parts needed to install on a VLSD car is on our site:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2349
Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my Quaife. They are always in high demand and sell out quickly!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
ke0ki2k

+1 to what Z1 said. get a 1.5 way LSD. I ran solo II with an open diff once and it wasnt even hardly fun. the Cusco/4.08 made the car SOOOO much faster around a autox course. was wayyy more fun and I ended up winning STM over a bunch of Corvettes, S2K's and a Z3M coupe.