Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

**Borla Installed with DYNO!!!!!***

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 06:45 PM
little_rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, maserom, you mentioned at the beginning that you had a baseline of 208 with runs of 222 and 224. These are a bit different, what happened?? This is important, cause the one you mentioned in the first post was a 15whp for an auto, pretty good, better than 13whp on this graph.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:46 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: update

Originally posted by maserom
As you should know every dyno is different....Not sure why it was so low. Maybe the dyno was screwed up. I smoked a boxter s last weekend by nearly 3 car lengths up to 115mph. What a crappy automatic!!? It was in 3rd. REmember only 1,500 miles on this motor. A more worked in engine will give higher #'s
My friend has a 6sp Z(CAI) and I beat him like 2 car lengths to 80+ Also from 50mph, was even until he started inching away way later on. He was like WTF!!. At the track his best time was the same as mine(see below). He rev at the launch, I took off at idle(750rpm). Its a 14 sec car with the 5AT.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:54 PM
2003z

Here it is. It looks like only the first dyno that i received. Go ahead start bitching!
I'd say for 3rd gear with an auto thats pretty good, and the actual numbers dont really matter, the difference between the 2 is what does.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:26 PM
350zdanny

I've never seen a graph look like that. It looks like the stock curve was just shifted up 10 hp like an excel function did it. The results are so uniform throughout the RPM range.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:44 PM
importriders

Well sorry, but as much as I want to believe your results I just can't because you got your car dynoed by Borla. The same reason why I would not believe a dyno for a Stillen exhaust made by Stillen.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:29 PM
maserom

If you don't believe the dyno, the don't use this thread to wast your opinion on. No one really cares!!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:32 PM
importriders

If you don't believe the dyno, the don't use this thread to wast your opinion on. No one really cares!!
Ummm....damn...sorry I thought this was a message board. Anyways...this is a very valid point if you REALLY think about it. And if you look at my sig I have this exhaust too.

Last edited by importriders; 06-19-2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:38 PM
maserom

Did you ever hear of the quote "think before you speak", try thinking before you write! Alrrrrrightyyyyyy Then
Old 06-19-2003, 09:40 PM
hfm

Originally posted by importriders
Ummm....damn...sorry I thought this was a message board.
I agree. As much as I want to see 20+ hp from Borla, we need to see results from neutral, unbiased customers. I will take results from Borla, Stillen or anyone else with a grain of salt.

Maserom, Importriders is one of the few people I've met who will do a baseline dyno followed by the dyno after install at his own expense for our good.

So, in short, give the man the respect he has earned because he's doing it right and we're all watching what he's doing and what you're saying.

[Edit SP]

Last edited by hfm; 06-19-2003 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:47 PM
importriders

Did you ever hear of the quote "think before you speak", try thinking before you write! Alrrrrrightyyyyyy Then
Hey bro...care to explain? Lets handle this like gentlemen and calm down. Did you not get your dyno done at Borla? I cant seem to find anything that says differently. And if you didn't dyno at borla then my bad and I apologize. But HFM and a ton of other members on this board will tell you that I had a baseline dyno done at Stillen and decided to not use it at all and get a NEW baseline dyno at an unbiased neutral shop instead. So that way I knew that whatever the Borla dynoed at the neutral shop, it would be unaltered unbiased data.

Last edited by importriders; 06-19-2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:03 PM
Aloharacing

Originally posted by hfm
Maserom, Importriders is one of the few people I've met who will do a baseline dyno followed by the dyno after install at his own expense for our good.
Props to importriders as HFM has mentioned...
Old 06-20-2003, 06:30 AM
03 Z for ME

Default Question...

Why was your Dyno graph only run up to 100 mph? Surely that can't be 6600 RPM?

I had my Baseline Dyno done and I know the Speedo registered in excess of 140 mph...

(OK I may have now realized that this was done in 3rd gear and could be the reason for the low speeds. I'd like to see a HP and Torque curve vs. RPM not speed)
Old 06-20-2003, 07:07 AM
PimpShiFus

well, here is a thought: isn't it another possiblity, just a possibility that the only reason we are seeing a gain is because they purposefully made the baseline dyno numbers low somehow? what do u guys think?
Old 06-20-2003, 07:17 AM
done12many2

I am by no means a duty expert on dynos at all. As a matter of fact, I've never had one done. I would expect that they could get the date right though!! However, if this date is correct, then none of this make sense to me.
Attached Thumbnails **Borla Installed with DYNO!!!!!***-dyno-copy.jpg  
Old 06-20-2003, 08:35 AM
Z4KR

what's up with those dates? Damn, the first pull numbers are pretty low.

Last edited by Z4KR; 06-20-2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:33 PM
350zdanny

That's not really a big deal. If the computer running the software has the wrong date (which it might being that many of them are old and their clock battery may have died) then the date will appear wrong on the printout.

What irks me more is that the gains are unform all the way through the rpm band. The results look like they were smoothed way too much or doctored.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:54 PM
D'oh

I can believe the peak numbers, but the dyno graphs don't seem possible (although I hope they are true).

The reason they seem unlikely is because, as others have mentioned, the gains in HP seem to be very similar throughout the RPM band. Because HP is dependent on torque X RPM, this means that the exhaust would be making huge amounts of extra torque down low, while making less extra torque up high in the RPM range. For instance, at 40 MPH the HP gains seem to be similar to the gains at 80 MPH. For this to be true, you would need to be making double the added torque at 40 than you would be at 80. I would love for this to be the case, but most of the other Borla dynos (and exhaust dynos in general) have shown the gains to be greater in the higher end rather than the lower end. Therefore the results are a bit confusing to me.

EDIT:
If this works, then below should be throbbing_zon's dyno results. They are an example of what I would expect the HP curve to look like.

END EDIT

Maserom, I am very grateful to you for posting the results and giving us an opportunity to check them out. Please realize that I do not question your integrity or expertise, but only the fact that this dyno differs from most other exhaust dynos I've seen. With the limited amount of data available, any added information is greatly appreciated, so please don't be discouraged by my questions. I'm an engineer; I just can't help myself . I truly like the Borla exhaust, and appreciate your effort in this matter.

Thanks,
D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 06-20-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:13 PM
TheBigShow

the reason the dyno might look different is because the dyno uses mph as its x-axis. layoff this guy and look at the damn thing. that is definitely why it is so linear.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:04 PM
maserom

The bottom line is, I love this exhause. It is the first mod i've done to this car that has resulted in a noticable power increase. It sounds great! And has provided me with complete satisfaction. I know nothing about dyno's. I say the dyno sheet come up on the computer immediatly after each of the runs. They appear exactly the same as they did when they ran the car. These guys have been dynoing cars for several years. I trust their workmanship and integrity 100%. It seems to sound better each day.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:49 PM
slay2k

I'm with you 100% maserom.

I love this ***** too!

Quick Reply: **Borla Installed with DYNO!!!!!***