Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

**Borla Installed with DYNO!!!!!***

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:23 PM
TereP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 350zdanny
I'm skeptical of the results. There are no dyno sheets at all and both TXStyle and someone else posted dyno sheets that got modest (no) gains.

I wasn't expecting Borla's estimates, but I was expecting a solid 10 whp over baseline.
TXStyle never did a baseline, so he had nothing to compare it to. Kinda hard to figure if you had gains if you don't know what you had to start with.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:42 PM
jeffa

Not to throw a wet blanket on this party, but I got to add my 2 cents here.

I had a new Magnaflow installed last week. They used my car to prototype the exhaust system back in Feb., long before Borla's dual system was available.

The Magnaflow is a single exhaust with all stainless steel material. I watched them do the dyno, so I belive what I saw. The Z had about 2200 miles when it was dynoed. It is a 5AT Enthusiast. It gained 6.9HP and 7.3 lbs/ft of torque. I am attaching the dyno chart so you can see the results. Look at the baseline figures...not to shabby for a 5AT.

The main point is....mine is a complete dyno. How come the Borla dyno is missing the torque figures? I'm supprised no one commented on this.

This is not a flame on the Borla exhaust, just some comments and an alternative suggestion.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:43 PM
jeffa

I had a new Magnaflow installed last week. They used my car to prototype the exhaust system back in Feb., long before Borla's dual system was available.

The Magnaflow is a single exhaust with all stainless steel material. I watched them do the dyno, so I belive what I saw. The Z had about 2200 miles when it was dynoed. It is a 5AT Enthusiast. It gained 6.9HP and 7.3 lbs/ft of torque. I am attaching the dyno chart so you can see the results. Look at the baseline figures...not to shabby for a 5AT.

The main point is....mine is a complete dyno. How come the Borla dyno is missing the torque figures? I'm supprised no one commented on this.

This is not a flame on the Borla exhaust, just some comments and an alternative suggestion.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
jeffa

Old 06-23-2003, 10:53 PM
jeffa

sorry about the double post, but for some reason this site is not letting me post pics.

You can see the dyno results at my website...

http://www.myredgtp.addr.com/350Z%20dyno.jpg
Old 06-24-2003, 03:58 AM
350_Z

D@mn,

people are still picking on this post. First off to the guy that asked about the tq curve. Not all dynos are the same. I've had my car dynoed at places that have seperate charts for hp and tq. They aren't always built into the same chart.

Further more there are 3 dynos floating around here 2 show 10+whp gains and one shows only a 6whp gain, but the guy put 19's on his car so that account for about 5 whp in itself.

You people need to lay off this guy. He was just trying to give some feedback on his new exhaust. Take it for what it's worth, almost every owner is extremely happy with the sound and they all report some gains on the butt dyno. I would say this exhaust will make around 10+whp and that isn't bad for just an exhaust.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:41 AM
maserom

Smile

Very nicely stated!!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:38 AM
importriders

Originally posted by 350_Z
but the guy put 19's on his car so that account for about 5 whp in itself.

I dynoed both times on my stock track rims. The 19's didn't go on till after I did the Borla dyno. Just need to clarify this. Wanted to keep things as consistent as possible obviously. I also clarified this in my orginal thread.

In the end, I believe this exhaust is good for about 10hp no more no less. There is a post in my original thread made by HFM. He talks about the Z dynos and how they vary allot between runs, about +/- 5 to 7 hp. Although I do not personally know his source for this info. I do know where it originates and it is VERY reputable. So take that into account when looking at these dynos. For example, look at my results and add in the Z dyno error. I could have had a gain of 11hp assuming a +7hp error. Unless you are dynoing in an enclosed controlled environment this is just something you have to account for. So doing dynos for something that can only give a 10hp gain is kinda ridiculous. But, all these dynos can tell us one thing...there is a gain, but the exact amount will always be unknown.

Link to my results:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=33332

And one final note for those that posted dyno sheets. First off, thanks. Secondly, as most of you know or have found out(myself included) people will always critique your results and people will always come up with their own explanation as to why you got these results. Its just the way it is on message boards. Just remember they are all opinions and none are facts, so take them with a grain of salt.

Last edited by importriders; 06-24-2003 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:21 AM
350_Z

Thanks for that info. I was actually refering to another member about the 19s. I believe it is TXstyle who put 19s on and then dynoed. But again he never got a baseline so his gains are unknown, my post was just to state that his dyno could have been 5+whp and would definitely indicate a nice dyno.

There are so many factors that go into a dyno that it is hard to judge results. Simple things such as humdity and how long you let the engine cool off can make dynos differ from one day to the next. Now that it is hot outside in most areas we have to take a lot of dynos with a grain of salt unless a baseline was done in the same heat.

After looking at all the dynos it seems that 10whp (plus or minus) is the avg. gain. Again not a bad number at all. I've also noticed a couple of A/F ratios out there and there are definite gains to be had in both the low end and top end by leaning the mixture out a little.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:20 PM
OZ-Z

Thumbs up Installed BORLA duel- sounds great!

Sounds great! not too noisy as my Borla for WRX
Sound reminds me of Alfa V6 164S performance exhaust i installed designed by Ferrari. With the windows closed there is no difference from stock so when on the Hiway you wont go deaf. I put a Borla on a WRX. It sounded awesome & loud for around town but too much for a long highway ride.
The Borla has a great masculine muscle sound thats not too intusive..No dynos so I will let others cover that