Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT C8R cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
rednezz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
what all ya got done to push 294 rwhp red?
Here some links to my build.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....light=294+rwhp

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/298143-na-project-part-ii-with-forged-performace-na-built-motor.html

The 294 rwhp was dyno'ed with some bugs. I had a bad coil pack and a bad crank position sensor. I didn't realize it at the time...thought the problem was the MAF or other sensor. Now that those problems are fixed the car is significantly faster. I need to redyno to see exactly what its putting down.

Originally Posted by Nathan
No I don't no what can be done with a reprogram with regards to cam phasing. We dont have anyone here in Oz that has the software.

What I do know is that the stock ECU only changes the lobe centre of the inlet cam from retarded 125 deg to advanced 90 deg a total of 35 deg. But the VTC sprocket has a full 20 deg range of movement which = 40 deg @ the crank. ( I've measured it )

HKS with Valcon plus cam kit advertise that they get an extra 5 deg of advance over stock & they don't change the sprockets. I would assume they get it electronically but maybe they grind the lobe centers with 5 deg advance but I wouldn't think so.

The Nismo S2 dealer program advertises the VTC increased from 40 to 50 deg but I dont know if it includes a new ECU or a reflash.

At 6600 + rpm you would certainly not want a inlet cam lobe centre @ 125 deg
Between 10 to 15 is probably a good start point & that makes the lobe center now 115 to 110

I hope Black Tuner does get something to work with the Utec as I don't want to buy another ECU
Data logging the VTC angles the maximum I was able to get out of my car via the UpRev tune was 40 degrees. Stock the maximum it was advancing was 35 degrees. Just increasing the VTC advance from 35 to 40 from netted me about 10 to 20 rwhp. If I could have advanced it to 50 degrees as to what the Tomei cams wanted who know how much power I could have gained from 3000 to 6200 rpm.

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...6&postcount=49

+1 On blacktuner adding cam phasing to the UTEC. People will be surprised on the power to be gained with cam phasing. It really hasn't been discussed much on this forum and has been quickly dismissed. Alot of what I learned on the Tomei cams was by alot of research on the Japanese websites.

Last edited by rednezz; 02-20-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VTC and VTEC are completely not the same thing...you do realize this right?
I was responding to the 272's in a hr. I know nissan calls it vvl or someother trademarked acronym. Either way if the cam is ground properly, maintaining the proper centerline to work in conjuction with the stock vtc curve or curves(revup or hr) like your tomei 268's obviously were due to your powerband being amazingly broad. vtc controls overlap, the nismo pulleys are desirable for long duration cams to keep both valves from being open at the same time at lower rpms. As for the topic of this thread can't wait to see someone get a set of 272's to work right.
http://compcams.com/Technical/TimingTutorial/
http://compcams.com/Technical/Default.asp
Two good links for anyone who wants to learn something about valve timing and cams.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rednezz
Data logging the VTC angles the maximum I was able to get out of my car via the UpRev tune was 40 degrees. Stock the maximum it was advancing was 35 degrees. Just increasing the VTC advance from 35 to 40 from netted me about 10 to 20 rwhp. If I could have advanced it to 50 degrees as to what the Tomei cams wanted who know how much power I could have gained from 3000 to 6200 rpm..
40,s all your going to get & that 35 confirms what I what I was saying.
Check this graph.
It shows a huge increase in Tq from 40 to 50deg advance in the 3K & 4K scale no increase @ 5K and at 6k it looks like 25 is the best but not critical.
Based on this graph which I think are the Spec2 cams, a good place to start @ 6.5k would be 20 & reducing it a little as the revs climb
Attached Thumbnails JWT C8R cams-imgp0731.jpg  

Last edited by Nathan; 02-21-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
I was responding to the 272's in a hr. I know nissan calls it vvl or someother trademarked acronym. Either way if the cam is ground properly, maintaining the proper centerline to work in conjuction with the stock vtc curve or curves(revup or hr) like your tomei 268's obviously were due to your powerband being amazingly broad. vtc controls overlap, the nismo pulleys are desirable for long duration cams to keep both valves from being open at the same time at lower rpms. As for the topic of this thread can't wait to see someone get a set of 272's to work right.
http://compcams.com/Technical/TimingTutorial/
http://compcams.com/Technical/Default.asp
Two good links for anyone who wants to learn something about valve timing and cams.
Your a little back to front here cocky.
The VTC sprockets allows the lobe centre (centerline) to change positions over 35deg. The Nismo sprocket allows another 10 deg of advance not retard, this remains the same so the overlap at low rpm is the same with either sprocket
Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 PM
raditz

+100 in cam phansing with the UTEC!!!!

hope this and other things will be included in a short period of time...I like it very much and I don't want to change it only for this
Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by Nathan
I hope Black Tuner does get something to work with the Utec as I don't want to buy another ECU
What I am working on will not be UTEC related.. sorry!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a utec cannot control cam phasing, no matter what (I discussed it at length with Jermaine last night)
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 AM
raditz

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
a utec cannot control cam phasing, no matter what (I discussed it at length with Jermaine last night)
Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Nathan

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
What I am working on will not be UTEC related.. sorry!
Maybe in conjunction with a Utec ????
Old 02-22-2008, 09:35 AM
BlackTuner

So my cams came in today. On the east coast we are having a bit of an ice storm and snow in other places. I found a minute to give the JWT tech line a call about the required mods to throw these cams on to the HR. I really don't like calling and bother people as being in the industry it can take a toll on your mind state. I was trying to be quick as possible. Much to my surprise I was able to talk to my first level tech by the name of Ben. He was great but I asked a few questions he led me in a great direction. Unfortunately now with newly found info I had to ask a few other questions that stumped him so he did what any good tech support guy would do and that is say "I don't know". I was passed on to a very tech savvy guy. He gave me the true run on the cams and what to expect with them. One being is that he has installed the C8's on a HR and he did not need to cut valve reliefs in the pistons. BUT, they should all be check for clearance on the exhaust side. He explained that at high rpm with the possibility of chain slop and the late closing of the valves it could cause some interference. He even ran down the test procedure on how to check these things if I were going to proceed with the installation. It is pretty intricate… I am not even 100% on the technique so I will spare the write up for fear of it to be taken as a guide.

We also talked about valve springs and keepers. I have been curious about doing the cams and springs in the car which he said was definitely do able except he has heard horror stories about lost keeps that will end up wrecking havoc on the motor so he recommend placing towels around the working area to catch any of the "potentially lost" parts. Great Tip. At this point I knew I was on the phone with someone special.

We got slightly diverted into some of the findings that I had seen with the VQ35 and it's siblings. It was pretty cool to come to some of the same conclusions. One of the things he talked about was the Development of the HR intake. He pretty much said it was a tough job to get the appropriate gains they wanted to see which ended up being 8 hp through custom velocity stacks and the proper filter element. He was also side tracked with a brief convo of a proto type 1 inch plenum spacer used on a stock DE that make 30 whp. Of course we know you wouldn't be able to close the hood... but what if you had a 07 HR Hood? Then he went on to say the HR is the best motor to date. As far as strength goes he says after market has nothing on it. Rod bolts, he says the stock ones are better. Head Bolts, Again he said stock ones are better. Forced Inductions Applications he mentioned that the true 1000whp FI cars should all be built from a HR bottom end for reliability. I asked about pistons that he recommended. He basically gave me the answer that I had been honing over the years but I haven't been very outspoken about. He says choose the piston you are comfortable with whether its CP/Mahle/whatever rods too. It's almost a diplomatic response but I saw deeper in the fact that there really isn't that many piston manufacturers out there often times you are buying relabeled brand X with tweaks. I respected that response! He did drop a jewel on the end of that convo and it was whatever you use make sure you use the stock rings. His experience has said… Nissan knows what works on their engines as far as keeping your brand new engine from being called "old smokey". No one wants a car that after you make a pull it's smoking out the back. I have seen many built Subaru's and Evo's with the same problem some piston manuf's have it nailed while others... Eh.. Not so much!

I know what you are saying… don't VQ's have oil loss issues in factory form. Don't kill the messenger! I am just telling it like he told me.

Like I said at this point I knew I had someone special on the line so I asked him given the situation which camshaft would he recommend for an HR street car. He said the C8's are great, race cams if you will. He recommend higher compression pistons though. Due to the dynamic compression loss at lower rpms, although the topend on these cams are what will get the Horsepower. But if it is definitely going to be street only, he leans towards the S7R's. There was much more info he gave and I will need to process it all. Mainly I just wanted to give back the information that I could make sense of immediately.

The guy I spoke to was Mr. Jim Wolf. He is on another level as far as knowledge goes.

I got a decision to make and some other items to play with in the mean time. Overall Goal is to get close to what a GT3 puts down on the dyno. I got a feeling this is going to be fun.

Jermaine~

Last edited by BlackTuner; 02-22-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
I got a decision to make and some other items to play with in the mean time. Overall Goal is to get close to what a GT3 puts down on the dyno. I got a feeling this is going to be fun~

I'll worship you as a god if you push GT3 power out of an HR. lol. 415 bhp VQ FTMFW!

btw, what was that about a 30 whp producing 1 inch spacer? 30 whp on a stock/boltoned VQ35DE?

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 02-22-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
T_K

So what I'm getting from this is that Rev-Up cams are bolt on replacement for for HR as well, aside from the clearance issues?

TK
Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by realdealg35
BTW, stock C5 Vettes put down a lot more than 300rwhp - they're consistently in the 320's for 6-speeds.

Actually, they put down about 300whp.

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...0&postcount=44
Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by T_K
So what I'm getting from this is that Rev-Up cams are bolt on replacement for for HR as well, aside from the clearance issues?

TK
+1

I would like to know this also.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
+1

I would like to know this also.
No doubt. If rev up cams bolt in without modification, HR would have cam upgrades overnight.

TK
Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

This is too good a thread to just dump. I asked one of the Mods to weed out the OT posts.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb
This is too good a thread to just dump. I asked one of the Mods to weed out the OT posts.
Taken care of. Please stay OT.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:33 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by T_K

TK
I don't think it is possible to fit the cams I have in the Rev Up motor. My invoice states NOTE:These cams are specifically ground on HR Billets 07+ VQ35 HR ONLY

This does not mean that they do not have a C8 solution for the Rev Up though. You are better off calling to ask if they have an application for your specific engine.

I'll worship you as a god if you push GT3 power out of an HR. lol. 415 bhp VQ FTMFW!

btw, what was that about a 30 whp producing 1 inch spacer? 30 whp on a stock/boltoned VQ35DE?
Yes this was a 1 inch thick plenum spacer on the standard VQ35DE with bolt ons.

So the GT3 chase will be interesting. I have decided to keep the C8's after I finish testing a few toys, only then I will throw them in to really see what she will do. My thoughts are if the 380rs can do roughly 350 hp and hell the 380rs-c makes 400hp. I have to be able to get close. GT3 makes peak power out of a 3.6L at 7.2k with a 8.2k limiter. Generally to make similar peak horsepower numbers it will need to be done at the high rpm's roughly 7k to 7.5k rpm. Which is ok with me.

Last edited by BlackTuner; 02-26-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:59 PM
ke0ki2k

thanks for removing all that argument crap mods. appreciate it.

is Motordyne gonna be releasing that 1" spacer anytime soon? I'd definately go buy a 07' hood and stillen strut brace if the thing would put me at 285+ wheel horsepower with it, test pipes, and exhaust alone.

whats the 380RS-c running?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
BlackTuner

thanks for removing all that argument crap mods. appreciate it.

is Motordyne gonna be releasing that 1" spacer anytime soon? I'd definately go buy a 07' hood and stillen strut brace if the thing would put me at 285+ wheel horsepower with it, test pipes, and exhaust alone.

whats the 380RS-c running?
Motordyne? probably not...

Here's some 380RS-C info.
Use a translator of your choice.
http://www.nismo.co.jp/380RS/380rsc.html

Quick Reply: JWT C8R cams