Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT C8R cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:00 PM
ke0ki2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT C8R cams

Anybody have any experience with the Jim Wolf Tech C8R cams for revup engines? 272 degree duration, .473" (little over 12mm) of lift. It says it just requires springs/shims, some of the more extreme cams with like 13mm of lift require head clearancing but it doesn't say anything about these. Anyone have em or talked to someone that does? thanks for the input.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
Anybody have any experience with the Jim Wolf Tech C8R cams for revup engines? 272 degree duration, .473" (little over 12mm) of lift. It says it just requires springs/shims, some of the more extreme cams with like 13mm of lift require head clearancing but it doesn't say anything about these. Anyone have em or talked to someone that does? thanks for the input.
I have a set on the way! I'll be playing with them asap.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
I have a set on the way! I'll be playing with them asap.
NICE! did you have to call JWT? saw its not really on there catalog. and when will you figure out of it requires lifters or recession cuts into the pistons? lemme know how it goes! good luck.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:46 PM
BlackTuner

NICE! did you have to call JWT? saw its not really on there catalog. and when will you figure out of it requires lifters or recession cuts into the pistons? lemme know how it goes! good luck.
Yes, I do know they are not sending them out to everyone as they are pretty aggressive. Last week I had an eta of next friday so.. shortly after that I should have them in my hands.

As far as I know now they only need springs and retainers. But don't quote me just yet. I would seriously doubt the recession cuts bit into the pistons as well. The crazy lift tells me they are going to have a poor idle quality but power gains should be phenomenal.

12.xxx mm of lift is serious.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:20 PM
ke0ki2k

They wont send em out to everybody? DAMN! lol

any guesses on gains with UTEC tuning? 25-30 hp?

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 02-16-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
Yes, I do know they are not sending them out to everyone as they are pretty aggressive. Last week I had an eta of next friday so.. shortly after that I should have them in my hands.

As far as I know now they only need springs and retainers. But don't quote me just yet. I would seriously doubt the recession cuts bit into the pistons as well. The crazy lift tells me they are going to have a poor idle quality but power gains should be phenomenal.

12.xxx mm of lift is serious.
I have been using custom ground cams ( on Nismo blanks ) with 12mm lift & 238 deg duration @.50" (apox 290 @ .18" ) and the idle is very good at 1000 rpm,(the inlet cam is still in full retard position @ idle) the only problem is ocasional stalling on slowdown back to idle.
Duration not lift is the cause of poor idle & 272 (235) is not huge.
With 235 duration @ .50" & 12+mm of lift you will need deeper valve cutouts in the pistons.
Power gains will never be phenomenal NA with any of the aftermarket cams using Utec or F con for engine management because the stock ECU is controlling the cam phasing & is advancing & retarding based on different feedback than actual. On the non rev up motor stock ecu has retarded the inlet cam back to full retard at a little over 6k rpm.
It has been a great disapointment to me that Utec has not progressed or updated the unit to include cam phasing as I believe that cam timing is the major power producer in the VQ.
IES in England & Solution F in France are both producing 3.5 VQ motors with 450 BHP with cylinder heads that are remarkably close to stock, they even use stock valve size.
Sure they have exotic intakes & make there HP @ 9k plus all the ness parts needed to keep a motor alive for up to 24 hrs @ these revs.

Last edited by Nathan; 02-17-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 AM
ke0ki2k

JWT's page only says you need recess cuts into pistons (head clearancing) for the C9 cams that have like .516" of lift. just says JWT valve springs for the C8 and C8R. Theyre making 390 rwhp Z's naturally aspirated? for Lemans?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I called JWT a few weeks ago to talk about RevUp cams. I had some of the same questions you did. I talked to a Tech who passed me on to an Engineer named "Jim." People have since told me that it was Jim Wolfe that I talked to, I don't know that for sure.

Jim said the C8R is for sale to anyone, but they don't want to sell them to just anyone. Confusing maybe. Jim said that they want people considering the C8R to call them and discuss their plans before they purchase one of these cams. They don't want someone buying one because it's "bigger" and then being disappointed after installing it.

Here's a link to my earlier post if you want to read more. My comments about talking to Jim at JWT are in the 8th post.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/319914-na-revup-cams.html

And here's a link to the JWT page that includes the C8R. As I understand it... That is the only JWT web page that mentions the C8R. Actually it is an Adobe PDF.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...INCL_REVUP.pdf

I'm interested in seeing how you guys like the C8R camshafts. I'm thinking/planning on getting a set for my NA motor build. Please keep us updated.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:20 PM
realdealg35

Wow, very very interested.

I wonder how easy it would be to get well over 300rwhp with full boltons, C8R cams, worked factory heads, and a full engine management system to control the cam timing?

Is there an engine management system that can fully control cam timing at this point?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:23 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by realdealg35

Is there an engine management system that can fully control cam timing at this point?
I think the Haltech platinum can do that.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan
Power gains will never be phenomenal NA with any of the aftermarket cams using Utec or F con for engine management because the stock ECU is controlling the cam phasing & is advancing & retarding based on different feedback than actual. On the non rev up motor stock ecu has retarded the inlet cam back to full retard at a little over 6k rpm.
It has been a great disapointment to me that Utec has not progressed or updated the unit to include cam phasing as I believe that cam timing is the major power producer in the VQ.
I'd agree with this statement except for one very important fact that you are overlooking in Blacktuner's case. The important fact can be found in his signature.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I'd agree with this statement except for one very important fact that you are overlooking in Blacktuner's case. The important fact can be found in his signature.
+1 lol was what I was thinking. if i DO do C8R's it'll be down the road a couple years. probably do C8R's, Strup headers, JWT spring/shims, maybe some forged valves and guides (possibly eliminate my revup oil consump problem, heard oil was leaking through the guides down the valve into the combustions chamber or somethin), and UTec with a dyno tune at forged. figured I'd do all the expensive **** at once while the engines out.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Nathan

Theyre making 390 rwhp Z's naturally aspirated? for Lemans?
Yes, but none of these motors would have been on a chassis dyno to actualy read 390. They are all done on engine dynos.
The IES motor is (was) used in FIA GT2 spec 350Z & you can read all about thier development in the July 06 edition of Racecar Engineering Magazine.
The motor is using the ITB's (with two 29mm restrictors in the twin intake airbox ) that are being offered on another thread on this site but use 12 injectors, 6 upstream of the throtle plates & they are not utilising the cam phasers. The ECU is Pectel (super expensive)
The Solution F VQ motor is curently used in the Renault World Series V6 racing & there is limited info avialable on the Renaultsport site.
Solution F also build the Megane Cup V6 motors which are esentually Nismo S spec motors with Magneti Marelli management. ( all the parts are available from Nismo Jp ) They put out 370 Bhp.
While I can't speak for Jim Wolf it's my guess that the reason they dont recommend thier C8,C9 & GA cams is for the reason I pointed out in my earlier post, the stock cam phasing is not optimised for 6.5k plus revs and that is where these cams make there power.
I,m also guessing that the GA spec cam with the big duration but only moderate lift is a cam designed Grand Am cup spec cars where the piston has to be stock but engine manegment is free.

Last edited by Nathan; 02-17-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I am well aware of Jermaine's employment, that is why I directed my disappointment to his post. To be fair it's probably out of his hands as they were designed & are built in my home town of Sydney as is the Haltech

Last edited by Nathan; 02-17-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM
ke0ki2k

APS, Utec, Haltech...all australian? wtf mate? lol
Old 02-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Nathan

APS, Utec, Haltech...all australian? wtf mate? lol
You forgot about the big daddy MoTeC
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 PM
realdealg35

LOTS of sick stuff comes out of Australia. Active Automotive FTMFW!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
ke0ki2k

well all you guys with C8R's or putting him C8R's lemme know how it goes. I'm really looking for a pretty aggressive cam like the C8R whenever I scrap the money together to do some valvetrain modifications. thanks for the replys.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by realdealg35
Haltech Platinum 350z pnp standalone gives full control over intake and exhaust cam phasing. There are nice gains to be had, especially mid range power!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
BlackTuner

Arrow

I have been using custom ground cams ( on Nismo blanks ) with 12mm lift & 238 deg duration @.50" (apox 290 @ .18" ) and the idle is very good at 1000 rpm,(the inlet cam is still in full retard position @ idle) the only problem is ocasional stalling on slowdown back to idle.
Duration not lift is the cause of poor idle & 272 (235) is not huge.
With 235 duration @ .50" & 12+mm of lift you will need deeper valve cutouts in the pistons.
Agreed I was wrong...duration is a major cause for poor idle quality. My bad... Also, until I get the camshafts in my hands I don't have the exact answer which is why my posts are caveatted with should and I will post results when I get them. Lets be clear on this that the NA route on the vq in the states is at a true dead place. Why because it is much easier to put a Forced Induction on a car and say... Look we made power! NA is HARD!

Again this is back to state of the current NA modifications here in the states. Even with the less than optimal cam phasing the results will be better than what is currently achieved with bolts ons as far as horsepower output, shifting power band and area under the curve. I deeply believe that.! I may be proven wrong but I am ok with that. No doubt if ems solutions that are currently available including the UTEC things would be much better. As I as enthusiast I am upset about that as well but I am not here for that...

IES in England & Solution F in France are both producing 3.5 VQ motors with 450 BHP with cylinder heads that are remarkably close to stock, they even use stock valve size.
Sure they have exotic intakes & make there HP @ 9k plus all the ness parts needed to keep a motor alive for up to 24 hrs @ these revs.
I have always felt the VQ was designed to be revved, to me any NA modification that shifts peak power closer to the left or to the lower rpms is down right blasphemy. As every iteration of the VQ the rev limiter has gone higher validated my original suspicion.

Here's for everyone.. I post here as an enthusiast always have been, owned a 350z since 2004. Many people have seen pics of my car and probably don't even know it was mine. When I type and reply it is in the opinion of Jermaine Riddick. I'm never here to be posting as a GOD, as many do on these forums. Any case I'll have the cams shortly, I'll post findings shortly as well.

Quick Reply: JWT C8R cams