Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Slight Right Turns KILLING me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
agallardo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Right Turns KILLING me!!!

Hey guys, I got a little problem on my 04 350z. For awhile now, I have noticed that every slight right turns my front right brakes have this pulsing sound. I dont feel it in the steering wheel at all. I can definitely hear it and feel it on my braking or slightly turning. It doesnt do it on left turns, driving straight, or 90 degree right turns. Everything between the straight and 90 degree turns it seems to do it. Does it most of the time, and sometimes it barely does it. It has been doing it for awhile now. Not sure when it started. I did all my brakes within 3 weeks ago. Anyway, I went to the mountains this past weekend with a couple buddies. We were cruising the mountains at first and started picking it up. EVERY right turn killed me, I can definitely hear it pulsing. It is not a constant grab, but pulsing feeling. I couldnt take turns that hard. The harder I took it, the worse it got. At some points it would lock up. I have no idea what it is. I pulled the wheel off, and didnt see anything noticeable. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas at all???

Last edited by agallardo; 03-04-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Z-Man87

Just to be on the safe side check your bearings, ball joints, tie rods etc for any play. It may not be the cause of your problem but it's one thing you can eliminate as a possible cause.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
agallardo

I will do that. Thanks!

Anyone else have any other ideas...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by agallardo
Hey guys, I got a little problem on my 04 350z. For awhile now, I have noticed that every slight right turns my front right brakes have this pulsing sound. I dont feel it in the steering wheel at all. I can definitely hear it and feel it on my braking or slightly turning. It doesnt do it on left turns, driving straight, or 90 degree right turns. Everything between the straight and 90 degree turns it seems to do it. Does it most of the time, and sometimes it barely does it. It has been doing it for awhile now. Not sure when it started. I did all my brakes within 3 weeks ago. Anyway, I went to the mountains this past weekend with a couple buddies. We were cruising the mountains at first and started picking it up. EVERY right turn killed me, I can definitely hear it pulsing. It is not a constant grab, but pulsing feeling. I couldnt take turns that hard. The harder I took it, the worse it got. At some points it would lock up. I have no idea what it is. I pulled the wheel off, and didnt see anything noticeable. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas at all???
sounds like a bad caliper or the caliper sliders are sticking.when you did the brakes you may have cocked the piston while compressing it,and the damage is making it stick.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
agallardo

Tried that, but didnt help out. Any other ideas???
Old 03-06-2008, 04:37 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If it pulses during stuff like a lane change, then I think it's the wheel bearings. Did you hit a pot hole or go over a big rock at speed recently? Jack up the front and test the wheel bearings. You should not be able to wiggle the wheel. If you can, then your wheel bearings have been damaged. Compare the play in the driver's side to the passenger's side wheel.

Given that you recently changed the brakes, can you clarify whether you get the pulsing only when braking? When you turn without braking does it still pulse? If so, then not the rotor. If only pulses during braking, then likely a slightly deformed rotor. Someone did not resurface your rotor correctly or you got a dud. You may not be able to tell just by looking at it.

Was any of the front suspension taken apart in error during the brake job?

Do you have a turbo kit on - or have you changed out any stock equipment near the steering column? Could be the steering knuckle rubbing on something...

That's all I can think of.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-06-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:57 AM
go-fast
Banned

At some points it would lock up.
if the wheel is locking up on braking,there really is not to much to look at.i would consider replacing the brake caliper even if it looks o.k.rcdash has a good idea to check runout on the rotor,i've seen really bad rotors brand new out of the box.when you said the wheel was locking did you mean the steering wheel or the tire?that would change peoples advice.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
buckeyeZ

It doesnt do it on left turns, driving straight, or 90 degree right turns. Everything between the straight and 90 degree turns it seems to do it.

not the bearings....check the caliper and make sure your boot didnt tear.....if your caliper is fine, check your proportioning/metering valve.....in which case you'll be getting a new master cylinder......even if his rotor was warped so bad that the lateral runout from it was causing it to grab....it would grab all the time...not just at intervals......and if your wheel wiggles when you chekc the bearing, it doesnt necessarily mean the bearing is damaged, the nut that screws onto the spindle might have back off a little.....sounds an awful lot like a bad proportioning valve

Last edited by buckeyeZ; 03-06-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:13 PM
agallardo

Originally Posted by rcdash
If it pulses during stuff like a lane change, then I think it's the wheel bearings. Did you hit a pot hole or go over a big rock at speed recently? Jack up the front and test the wheel bearings. You should not be able to wiggle the wheel. If you can, then your wheel bearings have been damaged. Compare the play in the driver's side to the passenger's side wheel.

Given that you recently changed the brakes, can you clarify whether you get the pulsing only when braking? When you turn without braking does it still pulse? If so, then not the rotor. If only pulses during braking, then likely a slightly deformed rotor. Someone did not resurface your rotor correctly or you got a dud. You may not be able to tell just by looking at it.

Was any of the front suspension taken apart in error during the brake job?

Do you have a turbo kit on - or have you changed out any stock equipment near the steering column? Could be the steering knuckle rubbing on something...

That's all I can think of.
I get the pulse when I am cruising and braking as well.

Where and what is a proportioning valve? Never heard of such...

Last edited by agallardo; 03-08-2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Missed Info
Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 PM
agallardo

Anyone?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
syndacit

Proportioning Valve - helps with front / rear braking, basicly balances braking ratios during hard braking
Metering valve - samething but during light braking

I wouldn't think its either of the valves or you'd have more noticeable effect on both brakes.

Do you have a dial caliper? check your run out on the rotor. What kind of brakes do you have? Stock?

Oh and to check to the bearing, lift the car up with a jack, then grab the wheel top and bottom then Pull/push. If you have any movement it, its your wheel bearing.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:51 PM
agallardo

I ended up taking it to Nissan, since it was still under warranty, even though I have mods, they helped me out. And it was my wheel bearing.

BUT NOW (didnt before as well) when I am turn slightly right, and brake for a second or two and let go, it still seems to grab and I can feel it in the shift ****. Any idea there? Maybe those valves?

Where is the Proportioning valve and metering valve located?