Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil Level Mistery

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently, you did not read the OC thread. There is a good explanation of how much oil it takes to go from L to H. HINT: It is more than 1 QT. And no, the dipstick was not redesigned on the revup, it still sucks.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Apparently, you did not read the OC thread. There is a good explanation of how much oil it takes to go from L to H. HINT: It is more than 1 QT. And no, the dipstick was not redesigned on the revup, it still sucks.

Yep. You have to have a HR motor to get a decent dipstick nowadays!! LOL
Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 AM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
He is right. Between the L and H mark is 1qt.
Thanks...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
I've read the OC thread. Have you? In particular, please check out Gothchick's oil consumption chart that has been added to the very first post in the thread. If you'd like more details, there's an exchange within the thread concerning the chart that's very informative, a lot of effort went into making sure the chart was correct. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
undrgnd

I stand corrected, it is 1QT. My source, later in the OC thread, is probably not as reliable as the Nissan TSB, I think...
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by halfass872
Yep. You have to have a HR motor to get a decent dipstick nowadays!! LOL
Boy, you ain't lying in that one. I really want an 07 so bad. I am begining not to like my 06.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:56 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
Boy, you ain't lying in that one. I really want an 07 so bad. I am begining not to like my 06.
Ehh, enjoy what ya got. I don't think the extras of the '07 are worth going upside down for. Or tacking that many more car payments on when you're that much closer to having your current Z paid off. Now if it was like the GTR etc. then that'd be a diff story!!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Nismospeed4life

^^I do apreciate the encouraging words, it does means a lot. And you are absolutely correct.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 AM
halfass872

^^I do apreciate the encouraging words, it does means a lot. And you are absolutely correct.

I was in your shoes when the '07s came out. I had only had my Z for a few months, and would of taken a huge hit if i had traded it in. I drove a couple '07s, and although they did feel a bit more refined, any brand new car is gonna feel that way, when you're used to driving the used version of it. I figured i'd take the money i was gonna go upside down on, to improve mine. And i've had no regrets!! Seriously, go drive one if you are still wanting one. And try real hard to look past the fact it's new, and you'll realize your Z is just as good!

Last edited by halfass872; 03-13-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Doba

Ive asked before, with no response I will continue to ask untill someone answers.. are there any long term problems for having this much oil consumption? if nismospeed4life continues to check his level regularly and maintain his level at H are ther going to be any problems?

thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doba
Ive asked before, with no response I will continue to ask untill someone answers.. are there any long term problems for having this much oil consumption? if nismospeed4life continues to check his level regularly and maintain his level at H are ther going to be any problems?

thanks
Mine still uses oil and the only thing I'm really concerend about is the cats getting fouled up with excess oil to the point that the car won't pass smog in 4 more years when the first smog check needs to be done. It will be out of warranty at that point. Should have put in high flow cats a long time ago and saved the stockers for smog check.

If it doesn't pass due to the cats, even though it'd be out of warranty, might be worth talking to a lawyer about.

As one guy pointed out a while ago, at least the car always has fresh oil in between oil changes, since you need to keep topping it off lol.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 AM
Doba

Originally Posted by Chad68
Mine still uses oil and the only thing I'm really concerend about is the cats getting fouled up with excess oil to the point that the car won't pass smog in 4 more years when the first smog check needs to be done. It will be out of warranty at that point. Should have put in high flow cats a long time ago and saved the stockers for smog check.

If it doesn't pass due to the cats, even though it'd be out of warranty, might be worth talking to a lawyer about.

As one guy pointed out a while ago, at least the car always has fresh oil in between oil changes, since you need to keep topping it off lol.
- test pipes ftw
- stock cats only for smog tests

lol @ fresh oil

So nothing serious can occur internally over time? resulting in major engine failure etc... I don’t know I’m no mechanic
Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 AM
halfass872

I would assume if the oil is burning off by blowing past the piston rings, then that would mean you have a loss of compression too. And loss of compression means poorer performance, vice an engine with no compression problems.

I'm not up to date on where the oil is leaving the engine in these cases.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Doba

thanks

I would assume if the oil is burning off by blowing past the piston rings, then that would mean you have a loss of compression too. And loss of compression means poorer performance, vice an engine with no compression problems.

I am one with Doba, since this have been one of my concerns as well. But, loosing compression and horsepower due to O.C. issues is really a problem for sure. I think I will have mine check for the proper compression.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 AM
halfass872

I am one with Doba, since this have been one of my concerns as well. But, loosing compression and horsepower due to O.C. issues is really a problem for sure. I think I will have mine check for the proper compression.

Thanks!
No prob!

You may want to read more posts to find out where the rev-up motors loose the oil from. The VQ's sparkplugs are a huge PITA to get to. And it'd suck to spend all that effort or money doing a compression check, if that's not even where the oils leaks from.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Reality350

General consensus seems to lead to valve overlap on the revups, causing the oil to get sucked through the valve guides, then out the exhaust.

At the peak of my oil consumption, I def felt a loss of power. I had the oil light go off one time, and I am pretty sure that caused some damage, most likely to the cams.

If you are still under warranty, I would strongly suggest you take the vehicle in for testing.

Best of luck!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my car, I would get around 28mpg on the highway. 40k miles later on my oil burning engine, I was lucky to get 22. Now, after getting a new engine, I'm at 30 even.

Take from that what you will.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Reality350
General consensus seems to lead to valve overlap on the revups, causing the oil to get sucked through the valve guides, then out the exhaust.

At the peak of my oil consumption, I def felt a loss of power. I had the oil light go off one time, and I am pretty sure that caused some damage, most likely to the cams.

If you are still under warranty, I would strongly suggest you take the vehicle in for testing.

Best of luck!
Thanks for yout input.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:40 AM
kevin_4000

buy a real car.. these ones suck.. eww 350z