Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Bushings, Clutches, Flywheels.. what else goes into a complete transmission upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:15 PM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bushings, Clutches, Flywheels.. what else goes into a complete transmission upgrade?

This is a sister thread to my other thread I started about possibly replacing my transmission. LINK: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/356586-new-transmission-or-not.html

The mechanic who would be installing the new transmission said to pick everyone's brain on the forums about what kind of shift bushings and linkage upgrades I could get to make the shifting go from good --> great. He has polyurethane in his mustang he said.

Keep in mind that I am not familiar with the terminology, I just could have sworn he said something about linkage and shift bushings. So, is there an after-market for the Z in those areas and, if yes, what should I "bolt on" to make the new stock tranny that much better. Solid tranny mounts? Or is that stupid on a non-tracked, but spiritedly driven, (N/A) Z?

Basic goal: Replace anything transmission-related with performance/quality in a one shot deal, without breaking the bank too too much. I was also told I should be doing a clutch/flywheel upgrade while they're in there, along with a stainless clutch line. A list of anything else I should add to my list / look into replacing or upgrading over stock would be amazing.

Thank you
Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 AM
blackfairlady

bump

I hope some of you tuners and/or TT guys can help me. I know many of you have done all the upgrades you possibly can to make your setups reliable.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 AM
blackfairlady

bump again

it's exam time and i need something to look forward to when I take breaks. Answered questions would be marvelous
Old 05-04-2008, 02:18 PM
blackfairlady

bump
Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
blackfairlady

I can't believe no one knows anything about what I've asked....

I plan on getting this transmission in soon.

At least give me someone to PM who may know! thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
ekelly36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know also
Old 05-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are no shifter bushing upgrades...stock is just fine, there really is no slop in the setup at all. The stock mounts are very strong, and the only option I know of are solid. I wouldn't put these on a street car if you paid me (though for a track car the could be worthwhile).

There are a couple good short shift kits out there...my fav's are Stillen and NISMO. They aren't inexpensive, and the stock throw on a Z is not exactly long to begin with. That being said I have the stillen one and like it alot
Old 05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
ACI318

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Avid Racing trans mount on my car, and you can feel the vibrations from it for sure. Other than that im happy with it.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
there are no shifter bushing upgrades...stock is just fine, there really is no slop in the setup at all. The stock mounts are very strong, and the only option I know of are solid. I wouldn't put these on a street car if you paid me (though for a track car the could be worthwhile).

There are a couple good short shift kits out there...my fav's are Stillen and NISMO. They aren't inexpensive, and the stock throw on a Z is not exactly long to begin with. That being said I have the stillen one and like it alot
Thank you very much for your response. I do plan to do a short shift kit in the future, so I guess that'll be my big tranny upgrade in terms of shift "feel".
Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by ACI318
I have an Avid Racing trans mount on my car, and you can feel the vibrations from it for sure. Other than that im happy with it.
why are you happy with it? did it do anything to improve shift feel? i'm wondering if it really limits movement. i'm really thinkin' about the SPL stuff, but am really lazy to drop the subframe for the rear bushing install...
Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just replace these:
-The overall transmission itself (If it's a shitty *** 2k3 transmission w/ f'kd up syncros)
-The clutch
-The flywheel
-The clutch line

Other things that can be added (probably won't make a noticable difference in performance or durability):
-Clutch Fork Pivot Ball
-Nismo Roller Bearing Pilot Bushing

I got this deal here for $775, and am extremely pleased with it:
http://www.importpartspro.com/jwthdclconi3.html

It was worth every penny.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Turboimpreza07

Originally Posted by ACI318

+1 on the vibration. I thought something was wrong at first. I also get more noise. Especially when I rev the motor!