Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

pulstar plugs dyno run RESULTS..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
overmind22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First and foremost, I or Zcargarage do NOT work for pulstar. What reason do we have to lie about anything here?

While the plugs may have made 0 hp 4 hp whatever HP, thats not the point right now. The point is that the question was do the plugs make you run lean? From an engineer at Pulstar, says yes, and the dyno confirmed it.

I'm done with this thread, and done posting here. It's a waste of time and you guys just want to pick fights with everyone calling everyone liars. I've never been on such a forum like this before, so good luck.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gr8t to c u go. Have fun in fantasy land with ur magical theory that these spark plugs made u run lean. U could have been running lean for a variety of reasons.

U make bold claims, post misleading test results, do not answer the main question:

1. How do these pulse plugs make u run lean?

Y don't u research a little bit more and u will realize how ridiculous u sound.

Sorry were not blindly nuthugging pulstars like u are and trying to inflate results.

Don't let the e-door hit u on the way out douche
Old 03-23-2008, 12:14 PM
dcmaxclub

to the OP: yes the testing method was off but thanks for spending your time and money to try it out. Besides the personal insults, hopefully you can see there are valid technical criticisms here as well.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 PM
evobunny

In the last two issue of dsport they talk about the plugs with chart on a Z. yall might want to check them out and see what yall think. also in the last modified mag
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

someone send me some plugs to test out, i have a dynojet, many cars to try it on, AF readings and i can make sure the engine and oil temps are all the same.

its hard to do a perfect comparison and get results that are accurate. i see that the car has 8 dyno runs between the two dyno graphs posted up. if anything the car would be very very hot unless they let it sit for over an hour or two before the last pull.

we appreciate you posting up the graphs and i am sure you were happy with the results and that is all that matters.... now if you changed anything on the unichip between these runs, i would say that scientifically the test is thrown out the window for a test on the plugs. if these plugs do really make your car lean out and you fix that by adding fuel, the plugs arent really making that power. i would say the plugs plus retuning on them is what made the power if anything.

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 03-25-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Shadrackc

Check out some of the newest mags on the rack right now. They posted a 10HP gain on an 06 Rev Up Z. So maybe the magazines are all full of it too? They thought it would be a joke and are now testing in other vehicles because their tests were consistant. Yup, +10 HP.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadrackc
Check out some of the newest mags on the rack right now. They posted a 10HP gain on an 06 Rev Up Z. So maybe the magazines are all full of it too? They thought it would be a joke and are now testing in other vehicles because their tests were consistant. Yup, +10 HP.
Electric supercharger makers have dyno plots showing good gains if you install one. Laws of physics say otherwise. The devil's in the details, how the test was conducted, how all control variables were accounted for, what exactly was changed between trials, did other variables also change, etc. I would also like to point out that many product tests being published in the mags are also the same products taking out ads in those mags. See any conflict of interest there?

Unless tests are conducted by an impartial 3rd party, results should be taken with great skepticism. Don't believe everything you read. My brain tells me you can't get 10Hp from these plugs. I'll go with that for now.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by Shadrackc
Just like the nismo cai makes 10 whp right?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
someone send me some plugs to test out, i have a dynojet, many cars to try it on, AF readings and i can make sure the engine and oil temps are all the same.

its hard to do a perfect comparison and get results that are accurate. i see that the car has 8 dyno runs between the two dyno graphs posted up. if anything the car would be very very hot unless they let it sit for over an hour or two before the last pull.

we appreciate you posting up the graphs and i am sure you were happy with the results and that is all that matters.... now if you changed anything on the unichip between these runs, i would say that scientifically the test is thrown out the window for a test on the plugs. if these plugs do really make your car lean out and you fix that by adding fuel, the plugs arent really making that power. i would say the plugs plus retuning on them is what made the power if anything.
I would theorize that the most to be gained from these plugs would be a water injection set up where spark misfires may occur otherwise. While I agree that fuel changes should not be necessary (and would make the results difficult to interpret), changes in timing may be legitimate if the burn process does indeed occur sooner/quicker with these plugs. Actually if the burn process is more complete, you may be able to add more fuel to have the same level of fuel excess (for combustion cooling) that you had prior to putting in the plugs. Hmmm...

Last edited by rcdash; 04-02-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
go-fast
Banned

coil on plug is mighty...even in stock form,just go one range hotter for the same results.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Shadrackc

Hey, I don't know, that is why I get on here, but lets face it guys, a lot of people don't even want to post anything on here because a few people like to make others feel stupid. I could do that to a lot of people in my line of work or hobbies but I find that drives people away.
I find also that a lot of people on here don't want to believe that anything will add to their HP unless it is Turbo or Supercharged. Usually the people who have....you guessed it.....Turbo or Superchargers.
There is a unit called a Tri Phase unit that I was asking questions about in another thread and nobody responded, piggy backs to the ECU. Is this bunk as well as they claim 15HP to the wheels.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Shadrackc

Got this info off of a Hummer site.

I was looking around for more info on these plugs and came across this on some other forum. Not so much what the guy says,h but the link is to the first rendition of there product.

Nick Espeset - June 12, 2007 @ 6:58 pm

I applied for a job with these guys during their testing stage last year. I checked them out pretty thoroughly, and they are definitely not a scam. The patents they based their design on come from the plasma research at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, and it is definitely rocket science. The company has been around for a number of years as ‘Direct Hits’ manufacturing an external pulse booster. The ‘Pulstar’ plugs are an integrated version of the plasma device built right into the plug. If you want to see some of the original test results, take a look at this link:

www.directhits.com/technical.html

Oh yeah, and they DIDN’T hire me, so I am not a shill. OTOH, I have not used their product, so I don’t have any first-hand experience.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM
CSF

found this from a quick google search: March 08 DSport

includes dynos from an integra 2000 type-r, 2004 g35, and evo ix

even though i'm pretty skeptical of these plugs, I figured it may be an interesting read (no idea if mag is biased or not).

anybody know more about these "plasma circuits"? I'm also curious to how long they last...for that price, they better last a long time
Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 PM
SliderG35

OK, I might be missing something here, but how's this... If the plug was really better, what would it do? I would burn the fuel more completely right? So, if it burns the fuel more completely, it would make the A/F go up. In order to fully harness the increase in power, you would absolutely have to increase fuel. A correct comparison would be if the A/F on the two different runs were the same. Then, if there was a power difference, you would be able to see it.

To substantiate this theory, lets talk TT or SC (since someone already mentioned it)... You don't compare your before and after TT dynos without tuning (unless you want to fry your engine). I think, if the graphs show a change in A/F to the lean side, those plugs are more efficient. I would expect tuning up the fuel would be required to truly see the power potential.

Does that make sense or am I on drugs?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by SliderG35
OK, I might be missing something here, but how's this... If the plug was really better, what would it do? I would burn the fuel more completely right? So, if it burns the fuel more completely, it would make the A/F go up. In order to fully harness the increase in power, you would absolutely have to increase fuel. A correct comparison would be if the A/F on the two different runs were the same. Then, if there was a power difference, you would be able to see it.

To substantiate this theory, lets talk TT or SC (since someone already mentioned it)... You don't compare your before and after TT dynos without tuning (unless you want to fry your engine). I think, if the graphs show a change in A/F to the lean side, those plugs are more efficient. I would expect tuning up the fuel would be required to truly see the power potential.

Does that make sense or am I on drugs?
Ur on drugs.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spark plugs don't gain diddly squat
Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Hoooper

pretty sure that zcargarage has a mustang dyno, not inertia based like were used too. still a little low, but that would be something like high 250's on a dynojet. IMO, those gains, if any, can be attributed to the installation of brand new plugs
Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SliderG35
So, if it burns the fuel more completely, it would make the A/F go up.
Slider, this is your fatal flaw. How can a more complete burn produce a higher A/F ratio? It can't. A/F ratio describes the ratio of air to fuel. So, how can a spark plug effect how much air and fuel you have? It can't. Think about it. You're correct in saying that to make more power you need more fuel but to be able to add more fuel, you need more air IF you're going to maintain the same A/F ratio. That basically is the idea behind making power. It's all about how much air you can shove into the chamber because air dictates your fueling. Turbos and SCs work based on this concept.

Here's what I think happened during the test which may explain why the OP thought the spark plugs were making him run "lean":

1. He got to the dyno place with his basically stock car.
2. Got a coffee and let the car cool off for a few.
3. An hour later, the tuner stuck a WBO2 clip in his exhaust and they pulled some runs on the dyno to baseline the stock plugs.
4. Changed the plugs.
5. Did another set of pulls and recorded "leaner" A/F.

See anything wrong with this? If the OP is stock, HE CANNOT MEASURE A/F RATIO WITH AN EXHAUST CLIP BECAUSE HE STILL HAS HIS CATS IN PLACE. Tuners assume you're catless and the OP probably didn't know better. Shame on the tuner for not even asking about it and realizing that the WBO2 readings would be foo bared. Unless you have a bung up in the stream before the CATs where you can take readings or you're just CATless, your WBO2 readings should be tossed out the window. Between steps 3 & 5, he got his CATs nice and warm from the pulls which raises the efficiency of the converters. If you measure A/F post CAT, it will always read leaner than the true ratio which is why you should never do it that way and that's the reason why every stock car equipped with front O2 always takes the readins before the first converter. Once the cats got really hot, they produced even more screwed up readings and now the OP thinks the plugs made him run lean. Just my theory on what transpired that day.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 04-03-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 AM
go-fast
Banned

if these plugs had any real merit dont you think the oe's would be all over it?and the racing comunity searches for every last drop of power,if these magic plugs worked wouldnt they be in every funny car,top fuel,indy and nascar?which leaves me to wonder.....why did they decided to market these plugs to you,and not them?

Quick Reply: pulstar plugs dyno run RESULTS..