Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

PRM kit - dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
baspence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DraGonAlchemist
i believe air is already in the tube regardless, so in other words its still sucking it straight from the same point at the SRI, just receiving cooler air from the CAI. Or more DENSER AIR. .

BUT YOU WIN! DAMN!!
thought I made it clear with my post? guess not... it's not just volume of air, it's also air velocity.... think about it.... let it marinate then get back to us.... we don't drive honda's the sound alone doesn't make time slips.... just admit you're wrong, learn from mistakes and move on......
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baspence
we don't drive honda's the sound alone doesn't make time slips
But my pssssssssshhhhhhh makes it more faster
Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blasian
Have you tracked your car before and after a CAI? I believe Berto and a few others said they gained trap and ET after running SRI vs. CAI.
got faster where? In their minds? show me some dyno runs to prove that???
Sorry buddy but track > dyno

Oh yeah... my buddy swapped from a Nismo CAI to a JWT WHILE on the dyno.

Last edited by blasian; 03-27-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by DaProdigy
lol that dude has no clue... i had a nismo cai and i sucked... i lost hp.. only thing i gained was a growl and it wasnt worth the power lost... i turned it into a shot ram and even with the heat soak i felt a noticable gain in power/throttle response... that dude clearly doesnt know what he's talking about... a longer tube with bends is bad compared to a short ram with a heat shield alteast in MY case... i'll never put another long tbe on my z... ever
Obviously not

Yes, SRI's do get heatsoaked when its just the filter by the bay as they don't actually start reaching stock temperatures until 2nd or 3rd gear (going from Wired's thread from the data logs) when the Z is on the move.

I'm sure with my filter being in a damn good heatshield will be 100 more degrees hotter than his CAI
Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 PM
OCG35
Banned

A long tube (“CAI”) shoved down into the bumper is drawing in air from only a few inches off the ground… in almost every case the ground is black asphalt, all black asphalt gets really hot even in mild temp days – ridiculously hot in 80-100 degree days… so your “Cold Air Intake” is sucking in a bunch of hot air.

The stock airbox and Stillen intake are more of a “cold air intake” than the long ram intakes… they are drawing air from a center snorkel that is directly behind the grille (a foot or more higher than typical CAI filters)… the intake isn’t sucking in anything other than that.

The temp difference 12” from the ground as appose to 24” from the ground is substantial – DaveO recorded something like 20-40 degrees (I was there but I don’t remember the exact temp reading).

So the bottom line is long ram intake does not equal cold air intake. And short ram intake doesn’t mean it’s NOT cold air intake.

All that aside – they is dyno data that show the Injen “CAI” showed very poor performance as oppose to SRI. There are many dyno charts that have proof – you’ll need to PM DaveO or Tony (hydrazine) for copies, as I do not save this kind of data (I’m certain someone will be shouting the “prove it” posts)… Once I’ve learned something, I just keep it as knowledge; I never save data to prove things to people.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

blasian is right.

warm air with a staright path is better than "cooler" (not cold) air through a long pretzel.

I gained 9whp from switching from an AEM to a pop charger, AND ran faster at the track YEARS ago. Its been proven, let the doubters run CAI's and have slower cars than stock!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:52 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by Alberto
Its been proven, let the doubters run CAI's and have slower cars than stock!
We all know that loud = fast
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We all know that loud = fast
so if we add vtec, we should be uber fast?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 PM
ke0ki2k

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 03-27-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
DraGonAlchemist

well regardless i can test mine i guess. .the injen can switch from SRI to CAI in a jiffy. .so i'll test it out myself then and let you kno. .until then
Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 AM
undrgnd

well regardless i can test mine i guess. .the injen can switch from SRI to CAI in a jiffy. .so i'll test it out myself then and let you kno. .until then

And you win for acting like an expert in just about every thread you post, and then turn out wrong 100% of the time.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:14 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Originally Posted by undrgnd
And you win for acting like an expert in just about every thread you post, and then turn out wrong 100% of the time.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
i really dont give a flying f u c k man. .all i said was i like CAI better personally. .you people turned into a f u c k i n g debate. To want proof doesnt hurt, and until then i stuck to my guns. So leave it at that. jesus christ.

Last edited by DraGonAlchemist; 03-28-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Reality350

PRM,
We have a local meet on April 13th, it may benefit you to show up with few intakes in hand. We can dyno while we bbq.
Check the E/C forum for more details.

Cheers,
Old 03-28-2008, 05:41 AM
blasian

i really dont give a flying f u c k man. .all i said was i like CAI better personally. .you people turned into a f u c k i n g debate. To want proof doesnt hurt, and until then i stuck to my guns. So leave it at that. jesus christ.
It's just odd running into people who does engine mods to become slower
Old 03-28-2008, 06:41 AM
DraGonAlchemist

It's just odd running into people who does engine mods to become slower
ya dont say. .
think about this idea for a sec. say i have the CAI and i put or make a boot where the SRI would be with a double hole, and i have CAI and SRI all in one. .cause i believe that there is enough room for a tube + another filter. Would look sort of what those double filter kits for the GTR's look like. Would u think that would make a difference. best of both worlds?

Last edited by DraGonAlchemist; 03-28-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 AM
ke0ki2k

wouldnt make much difference...still has to go through the same 14 inches of piping before the throttle body. the stock intake is so good that I'm sure some company has probably tested that and it probably proved to be ineffective. you just sound like youre over estimating the difference in intake temperatures between a CAI and SRI. sucking in cold air then running it through a tube that is a whole 10 inches away from the exhaust manifolds doesnt equal frigid air that will give you more power lol.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya dont say. .
think about this idea for a sec. say i have the CAI and i put or make a boot where the SRI would be with a double hole, and i have CAI and SRI all in one. .cause i believe that there is enough room for a tube + another filter. Would look sort of what those double filter kits for the GTR's look like. Would u think that would make a difference. best of both worlds?
RICER ALERT!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ya dont say. .
Isn't that the K&N typhoon?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:54 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
The filter on the Typhoon is in the engine bay in a really good heatshield. It has a hole open that has a pipe and air duct that goes down to the grill. Basically it draws air from the grill once the car is rolling.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
no i mean have a CAI with filter on bottom ..and up top have a SRI with filter as well. .since there looks to be enough room on top. .
i was thinking of designing it myself. home depot in the bathroom section has some nice light pvc piping with the exact angle i need, that i've seen. the idea just came to me there.

Last edited by DraGonAlchemist; 03-28-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: PRM kit - dyno results