Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

No LSD oddity

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
clv28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile No LSD oddity

Lately I have been abusing my BASE 350Z the last few days and found that I have no trouble laying down 2 long tire streaks on the road. I'm not having the single inner tire burnout normally found in having no LSD. I've been launching anywhere from 1500-2500rpms on smooth, slightly uneven road. I do have wheel hop when I don't give the car enough gas after dropping the clutch. Is it possible to have a non-LSD differential to work like an equipped LSD differential in the straight line?

It's a true BASE model, no question about it.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people should not own a nice car like the Z
Old 04-08-2008, 04:32 PM
zosomoso

Originally Posted by Z04
some people should not own a nice car like the Z
i dont understand, is there something wrong with launching your car or are you just one of those people who are jsut worried to mess around with your z?? jeez its not like you own a 100K+ car. youd be surprised how much abuse your car/clutch can take, of course im not saying its good to launch your car, but a lil fun here and there dont hurt.

Last edited by zosomoso; 04-08-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't understand what the op is asking for: "Is it possible for a non-lsd equipped car to act like a lsd equipped car?"

Not likely. You have an "open" differential, there is no mechanism present in your differential to put the proper power down to the wheel with more traction, like clutch packs, vlsd, or ATB operate.

However, if a lsd equipped car can one rear wheel in the air, it would be acting like a non-lsd equipped car
Old 04-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

yes, a open diff it is very possible for you to have power to both wheels IN A STRAIGHT LINE. There was a thread on this the other week, a lsd transfers power to both wheels when going around turn, preventing the inner wheel from losing traction. If you jack up your Z's rear end and put it in gear both wheels will spin with an open diff, I tried it before I got my lsd.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Escobar

read this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....n+differential
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Escobar
yes, a open diff it is very possible for you to have power to both wheels IN A STRAIGHT LINE. There was a thread on this the other week, a lsd transfers power to both wheels when going around turn, preventing the inner wheel from losing traction. If you jack up your Z's rear end and put it in gear both wheels will spin with an open diff, I tried it before I got my lsd.

not 100% on that.

a open diff will indeed send power to both wheels, but the effects of an open diff come in to play when there is a loss of traction in one wheel before the other. in that case, an open diff will transfer all the tq to the wheel already spinning, while a Limited Slip will try to equalize the speed between left and right.

so yes, you can spin both tires if you loose traction quick enough, it's when one tire gets a little traction that you do the one wheel fail

a LSD works in a straight line as well
Old 04-08-2008, 06:07 PM
zosomoso

correct me if im wrong but with an open diff as soon as one of the tires lose traction, the power is directed entirely towards that one wheel. if there is less weight forced on one wheel it will rotate faster than the opposite wheel; for example if you were to take a right hand corner hard enough, the inside right rear tire will eventually start spinning like crazy. what an lsd will do is transfer torque to the outside left wheel (the one stressed with the weight of the car) so it can put power back onto the road. i dont think youll benefit in straight line launching as much as you would in handling with an lsd equipped car.

Last edited by zosomoso; 04-08-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by zosomoso
correct me if im wrong but with an open diff as soon as one of the tires lose traction, the power is directed entirely towards that one wheel. if there is less weight forced on one wheel it will rotate faster than the opposite wheel; for example if you were to take a right hand corner hard enough, the inside right rear tire will eventually start spinning like crazy. what an lsd will do is transfer torque to the outside left wheel (the one stressed with the weight of the car) so it can put power back onto the road. i dont think youll benefit in straight line launching as much as you would in handling with an lsd equipped car.
reread what you wrote and then again say that you don't see any benefit in a straight line

and again, you are correct in what it does, but not how it does it. it doesn't actually transfer power to the outside wheel, it locks the wheelspeed together when the rotational difference hits a certain %. purely a mechanical function in any of the diffs we run (cept the viscous, which is a fluid shear)

Last edited by Motormouth; 04-08-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
zosomoso

Originally Posted by Motormouth
reread what you wrote and then again say that you don't see any benefit in a straight line

and again, you are correct in what it does, but not how it does it. it doesn't actually transfer power to the outside wheel, it locks the wheelspeed together when the rotational difference hits a certain % difference. purely a mechanical function in any of the diffs we run (cept the viscous, which is a fluid shear)
i see... thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why members continue to associate straight line traction with LSD is beyond me.

Last edited by davidv; 04-09-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by davidv
Why member continue to associate straight line traction with LSD is beyond me.
because it does contribute quite a bit to straight line acceleration? let me guess, you are running a stock VLSD?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Escobar

not 100% on that.

a open diff will indeed send power to both wheels, but the effects of an open diff come in to play when there is a loss of traction in one wheel before the other. in that case, an open diff will transfer all the tq to the wheel already spinning, while a Limited Slip will try to equalize the speed between left and right.

so yes, you can spin both tires if you loose traction quick enough, it's when one tire gets a little traction that you do the one wheel fail

a LSD works in a straight line as well
isnt that what I said?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Motormouth
Banned

somewhat, but you missed a very important part: that the open differential is much less predictable at giving power to both wheels. yes it's 'possible' for both tires to lose traction, but that has nothing to do with the open diff, just got lucky both tires did not have traction equally.

what the base open diff wants to do is spin one wheel, path of least resistance.

what a LSD wants to do is spin both wheels equally.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 AM
clv28

Question

somewhat, but you missed a very important part: that the open differential is much less predictable at giving power to both wheels. yes it's 'possible' for both tires to lose traction, but that has nothing to do with the open diff, just got lucky both tires did not have traction equally.

what the base open diff wants to do is spin one wheel, path of least resistance.

Great answer! Now with an open differential would my car be more likely to spinout if I corner hard in a right turn? More oversteer because of the limited traction?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Escobar

with an open diff the inner wheel is gonna take all the power and spinout, and yes, there will probably be more oversteer becasue both wheels are pushin the car through the turn.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Escobar

I guess I just assumed people knew that since its a open diff.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Escobar
with an open diff the inner wheel is gonna take all the power and spinout, and yes, there will probably be more oversteer becasue both wheels are pushin the car through the turn.
no, with an LSD the car would be more prone to understeer because both wheels are getting equal traction ("pushing the car through the turn").

open differentials actually turn better because it allows the inside wheel to rotate at a slower speed that then outer wheel, you just can't put the power down. you lose acceleration by having no power going to the tire that has traction.

Originally Posted by cv28
Great answer! Now with an open differential would my car be more likely to spinout if I corner hard in a right turn? More oversteer because of the limited traction?
The reason I would disagree that an open diff oversteers is that with the open diff, all the torque forces are being wasted in the wheel that already lost traction, while the outer wheel will allow you to not spin.

Maybe in rapid transistions where the forces are changed from wheel to wheel and it creates unbalance. But honestly, I cannot say 100%. you might be able to google it.

Last edited by Motormouth; 04-09-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zosomoso
i dont understand, is there something wrong with launching your car or are you just one of those people who are jsut worried to mess around with your z?? jeez its not like you own a 100K+ car. youd be surprised how much abuse your car/clutch can take, of course im not saying its good to launch your car, but a lil fun here and there dont hurt.
a "proper" lauch does to involves leaving a burnout streak on the road, that is loss of traction and in some states, illegal (show of power). so no, that kind of messing around just draws a lot of unwanted attention and causes a lot of uneeded wear and tear to the car.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Z04
a "proper" lauch does to involves leaving a burnout streak on the road, that is loss of traction and in some states, illegal (show of power). so no, that kind of messing around just draws a lot of unwanted attention and causes a lot of uneeded wear and tear to the car.
lol, so true. he might mean in the burnout box at the track. which is still debatably useful.

but yeah, even just accelerating with no wheelspin is show of power... is that a points offense?