Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dealer says it's normal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:42 AM
6society

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer says it's normal

I go in for a consumption test and you guessed it, burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles is normal according to the rats at the stealership and there is nothing we can do about it. yea right.
Does anyone know where I can find documentation of what Nissan says is "normal". I have searched high and low, but can't find official guidelines set by Nissan. I want to shove it in the guys grill and tell him how stupid he is. God, this is really starting to annoy me.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=consumption
Old 04-26-2008, 08:29 AM
djscotty

I know how frustrating it is!! What year is your Z? If its a 06 you the TSB to fall back on, bring it to them and show them that there is a problem. Once they seen that, they went ahead and did the test and mine was burning 15mm per 1000miles
Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
henry j

go to a diff dealer
Old 04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 6society
I go in for a consumption test and you guessed it, burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles is normal according to the rats at the stealership and there is nothing we can do about it. yea right.
Does anyone know where I can find documentation of what Nissan says is "normal". I have searched high and low, but can't find official guidelines set by Nissan. I want to shove it in the guys grill and tell him how stupid he is. God, this is really starting to annoy me.
I know there is documented oil consumption issues with the Z car, but a quart of oil every 1K miles is considered acceptable by most auto manufacturers
Old 04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
CSF

1qt (24mm) in 1000 miles? that should be well in the no good range.
good luck
Old 04-27-2008, 03:32 AM
6society

Originally Posted by Zivman
I know there is documented oil consumption issues with the Z car, but a quart of oil every 1K miles is considered acceptable by most auto manufacturers
Uggg, that seems so damm excessive to me. Zivman, do you know if Nissan actually has that documented somewhere?

And I guess my next question is, Where is all that oil going? Is this eventually going to gum up my engine?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:33 AM
6society

Originally Posted by djscotty
I know how frustrating it is!! What year is your Z? If its a 06 you the TSB to fall back on, bring it to them and show them that there is a problem. Once they seen that, they went ahead and did the test and mine was burning 15mm per 1000miles

Mine is a 06 MT Enthusiast,
Scotty, did they remedy the problem yet?
Old 04-27-2008, 04:36 AM
CSF

Originally Posted by 6society
Uggg, that seems so damm excessive to me. Zivman, do you know if Nissan actually has that documented somewhere?

And I guess my next question is, Where is all that oil going? Is this eventually going to gum up my engine?
take the TSB with you...it's a nissan document
its here:
https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....7&d=1205287228
Old 04-27-2008, 06:31 AM
6society

Thanks everyone
Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 AM
djscotty

No unfortunatly not yet. Im on my second oil test. The dealer said because I used synthetic oil in the car and they put reg crude oil for the test that it needs to be done again. I contacted Nissan about what was happening and they said are warranty techs wanted it done again. I should be done with this test by the end of the week. The messed up thing is, the dealer asked if I wanted to put synthetic in or crude. Im like if I have to pay for it just put the cheap stuff in. Now they are giving me grief.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I really believe the dealership is often caught between a “rock and hard place.” You are a customer who they deal with at arm’s length (they see you and know you personally). The dealership depends upon a good relationship for additional sales and referrals.

Nissan lives in an “ivory tower” dictating to the dealership what they are allowed to do when you present with a warranty or TSB problem. To make matters worse, Nissan constantly sends you (the customer) satisfaction surveys that they can use to beat-up the dealer even more.

I spent a lot of time fighting with the dealer about the tire-feathering problem (long before Nissan acknowledged the problem); and they finally resolved this, buy only after Nissan allowed its dealers to fix this. I think the problem you describe is very similar. The dealership probably knows this, but Nissan must provide the solution.

--Spike
Old 04-27-2008, 04:23 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No unfortunatly not yet. Im on my second oil test. The dealer said because I used synthetic oil in the car and they put reg crude oil for the test that it needs to be done again. I contacted Nissan about what was happening and they said are warranty techs wanted it done again. I should be done with this test by the end of the week. The messed up thing is, the dealer asked if I wanted to put synthetic in or crude. Im like if I have to pay for it just put the cheap stuff in. Now they are giving me grief.
Don't be afraid to go to a different dealership. I went through the same thing- 4 oil consumption tests, showed them the tsb. They even went so far as to overfill the oil so that when I brought it back it would be "normal".

Went to another dealer and within two weeks I had my V2. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Don't be afraid to go to a different dealership. I went through the same thing- 4 oil consumption tests, showed them the tsb. They even went so far as to overfill the oil so that when I brought it back it would be "normal".

Went to another dealer and within two weeks I had my V2. Good luck.
Not questioning your statement, but how did you know: "They even went so far as to overfill the oil so that when I brought it back it would be "normal"."

--Spike
Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 PM
djscotty

Hey in his defense, I was wondering the same thing. I couldnt be there when they checked the dipstick and I was wondering the same thing. You know if you have been checking your car, you know how much oil it has been using. I was really thinking they might do that. Every dealer where Im located at, You get that impression.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 AM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by Spike100
Not questioning your statement, but how did you know: "They even went so far as to overfill the oil so that when I brought it back it would be "normal"."

--Spike
I didn't the level before I left. On the way home oil started coming out of the dipstick tube and spilling all over the engine. This was with the dipstick tube all the way in. Only happened at high oil pressure. Checked it when I got home and it was way beyond the "H" mark.

Based on all the arguing over measurements, I believe they overfilled purposely to be able to tell me everything was great when I came back. That's when I changed dealers.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 AM
cheshirecat79

Hey in his defense, I was wondering the same thing. I couldnt be there when they checked the dipstick and I was wondering the same thing. You know if you have been checking your car, you know how much oil it has been using. I was really thinking they might do that. Every dealer where Im located at, You get that impression.
At the "Good" dealer I went to, they let me talk with the tech and check out the oil level after the required oil change that begins the consumption test process. I was able to verify that it was perfectly at the "H" mark.. right on the dime.

And I was also able to verify the millimeter measurement when they "unsealed" the engine when I brought it back.

It's all about the dealer.. usually if you're a nice guy with the service manager and just let him know about the bad experience from the other dealer they will work with you to set your mind at ease. They like to get the positive response on those Nissan questionnaires