Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone experimented with HHO supplement / Water fuel in their Z?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 AM
BerZerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone experimented with HHO supplement / Water fuel in their Z?

I have been reading up on the technology and no it just seems very practical at $4.50 a gallon for premium...

Electrolysis of water to get HHO is a very old technology... but seems to be vastly ignored.

Anyone familiar with the technology? I'm curious how effective it will be on the Z's engine.

http://water4gas.com/2books.htm

http://www.cardriveby.com/
Old 06-14-2008, 12:27 PM
App6MT

Buy a hybrid if you are worried about gas.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:53 PM
BerZerk

Originally Posted by App6MT

Not worried about it... just curious how much it helps the Z's platform... some cars it can double your MPG... some maybe ad 15%... so im curious how efficient it would be before I start tinkering.

I wouldn't mind saving like $1000 a year or so on gas if it actually works...
Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Dozzi94

Old 06-14-2008, 01:18 PM
OCG35
Banned

Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 PM
supra crazy

Originally Posted by App6MT
Originally Posted by Dozzi94
Originally Posted by OCG35
All of you need to STFU! The guy simply asked a question...

I'm going to be testing this HHO out on my daily (stock S14). I actually think it should work, but to get the most out of it you would need to buy a wideband and some sort of fuel controller like Emanage or S-AFC to lean out the fueling and get even more mileage. I'll post up when I get it done. a lot of the skeptics haven't even tried it yet so **** them.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is legit, it sounds cool. My "when things sound to good to be true" instinct is kicking int hough. If it really does work, let us know your results. I'd like to see some dyno runs with this as well to see if it reduces power.

How often do you have to refill the distilled water/baking soda container? Is this like some Eco-NOS?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get one of those inline fuel magnets, those work better anyway. better yet, a turbonator or intake tornado. all of these fuel savign "gimicks" are just that, a gimick that is making someone money so they can put regular fuel into theri cars and laugh all the way to the bank. who was it that said "there is a sucker born every minute"?

Last edited by Z04; 06-18-2008 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 AM
go-fast
Banned

hydogen assist has been around since the 60's,it does work...sort of.i dont' think you are going to get the results you want though.check out roy mcalister,he's the only guy who isn't selling snake oil.actually his lectures are posted for free and he's clearly the smartest guy in the room.the #1 benefit of hydrogen assist is making rat **** gas run like high test.to be usefull is not as cheap as youtube would lead you to think,you need about 30 psi to function with real advantage and theres that pesky little problem of runaway generation.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Aggro_Al

Hydrogen assist has been around a long time. HHO has approximately three times more energy than gasoline. Adding the hydroxyl to the air/gas mixture makes it combust more efficiently. The big problem is that you will need to lean the gas from the mixture using some type of fuel management or 02 extender. The computer will read the HHO as more oxygen and add more gas to the mixture thus, negating most or even making it worse than any gains you get from the HHO. The idea behind using HHO is very similar to the idea of using NO2.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 06-26-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 PM
05Z33

The Hydro4000 is getting some popularity. The City of Miami is installing them in all of their police cars. My Chief is installing one in his F250. I'll let you know how it works out for him. It appears to work in the same way a water meth kit works. I'll try and post a link.

http://www.hydro4000.com/
Old 06-27-2008, 09:42 AM
steambrick

I have heard two seperate claims from two very credible sources about the HHO generators on cars. One is my old flight chief and the other is a coworker who is constantly fiddling around with his truck and seems pretty knowledgeable. I've been doing a lot of research into it (as it seems to be the talk of my shop, we're all mechanics). I have googled it many times I cant find anyone thats put it on their 350z (i've seen forums of someone thinking about putting it on their 240 but no results yet)

Both guys installed the hho generators on trucks, one a 2006 f250 and the other a 99 tacoma, and both said their getting about 6 or 7 extra mpg, and with a little tweaking will probably get them up 10 extra mpg. Both say they can feel a slight increase in power, mostly from a stop. But his could all be mental as im sure they dont drive as hard as they used to when gas was cheaper. the f250 truck has a premade that he bought online for about $150 and the tacoma has one made out of home depot supplies that cost about $30.

Im not a science whiz, i got a C- in chemistry, Im more of a "show me it works" kinda guy so I gotta see for myself. Im gonna do a bit more research before I put one in my Z (if I do), as im mainly interested in the claims that it burns cleaner and adds a bit more power. There are a few issues to getting it to work on the Z, like Aggro Al said, the motor will probably burn richer, using up more gas, and another forum there was info regarding the TPS and MAF for the 240 (the car in the forum was actually a 280).

heres a few sites to check out
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/4/1921153/page=1
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=148388
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...engine-cga.htm
http://www.reuters.com/news/video?vi...eoChannel=2602

Theres a whole lot more out there, these are just a couple I ran into today.
And Yourtube has hundreds of videos on it.

Ive been trying to figure out what negative impact it has in the long run, how often it must be replaced or the damage it could do in an accident. I believe most vehicles are not designed to run on HHO gas so it will be interesting to see what happens, hopefully something comes up.

But anybody that's interested, dont listen to the people who claim this is a scam and your wasting your time, blah blah blah. do your own research and find out for yourself, maybe theres a small piece to the puzzle that someone hasnt figured out yet, thats how new technologies get invented.

I'll make sure to keep anyone posted as I learn a bit more.

Everythings a conspiracy!

Last edited by steambrick; 06-27-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Aggro_Al

The thing that gets most people confused about the HHO Generator is that there are some scams out there that claim they can build an engine that runs completely on water once the they start the electrolysis process. They claim that they get enough energy from the conversion to keep the electrolysis going continually. This would violate the laws of physics, specifically the law of conservation of energy and it's other related laws. This would make it better than the proverbial perpetual motion machine. It would mean that we have more energy than we started with. It is possible to run an engine on water but the energy to start and maintain the electrolysis would have to come from somewhere. Maybe someday we might be able to make commercial engine that runs on water that is highly efficient but we aren't there yet.

Current HHO Fuel Cells create a hydroxy called Brown's Gas. This is done by running a current through water and breaking it down into a gas made up of it's component hydrogen and oxygen units. The difference between HHO and H2O is that HHO is a gas and H20 is a liquid. This gas is then injected into the current air/fuel mixture causing it to run more efficiently. HHO generators do not create "free energy". You cannot create "free energy" no matter what anyone tells you. You cannot create or destroy energy, it can only be changed from one form in to another. Using an HHO generator actually puts an added load onto the electrical system to produce the HHO which by itself would make the engine less efficient. As many people know, the gasoline internal combustion engine is very inefficient. In a properly tuned HHO/Gasoline hybrid engine, the HHO allows the air/fuel mixture to burn more efficiently thus requiring less gasoline. The added efficiency from burning the HHO exceeds the negative efficiency from the generation of the HHO. A properly tuned HHO/Gasoline hybrid engine doesn't create energy. It just uses more of the energy that would have been discarded or wasted.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 06-27-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Ziggyrama

Interesting idea. I am a big DIY person and this really sounds viable. The design is very simple. I suppose the air metering issue can be worked around by injecting post MAF. I need to read up on the actual combustion process before I decide to build this myself. I think the key thing here is to understand what happens to oxygen from HHO when the mix is ignited. If the extra oxygen is used in the combustion, this will certainly cause lean condition. I don't know enough right now to guess what really happens. More research to follow.