Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

after installing my aftermarket steering wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
NH01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after installing my aftermarket steering wheel...

Hey all,

I just installed a personal steering wheel.. and I did not do the airbag light trick.(this probably has nothing to do with it)

Problem..
after starting the car.. put in first gear and go forward for a few sec (does not matter how fast) i feel the traction control turn on for about a second or so.. then next thing is vdc off light is on..+ SLIP light turns on..

so then i tried starting the car.. turning off vdc first. .then drive.. after a few seconds.. the SLIP light turns on... but at least the traction control didnt kick in and slow the car down.

I actually like the fact that now my traction control is FULLY off and i still have ABS..(when u pull out traction control fuse..abs will be de-activated as well)..i just love it.. but I just want to know what happened? Why is it doing this?

Thanks

NICK
Old 06-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

there is a sensor in the column that you did not keep in the proper position that the VDC uses. to put it bluntly, you are kind of f^cked. it is a pain in the @ss to guess at is proper position. Your best bet might be to take it to the dealer to zero it out
Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM
kramykram

Originally Posted by NH01
Hey all,

I just installed a personal steering wheel.. and I did not do the airbag light trick.(this probably has nothing to do with it)

Problem..
after starting the car.. put in first gear and go forward for a few sec (does not matter how fast) i feel the traction control turn on for about a second or so.. then next thing is vdc off light is on..+ SLIP light turns on..

so then i tried starting the car.. turning off vdc first. .then drive.. after a few seconds.. the SLIP light turns on... but at least the traction control didnt kick in and slow the car down.

I actually like the fact that now my traction control is FULLY off and i still have ABS..(when u pull out traction control fuse..abs will be de-activated as well)..i just love it.. but I just want to know what happened? Why is it doing this?

Thanks

NICK
The adjustment is easy if you have a works bell hub. i first used a momo which sucked *** as it did not allow for the vdc sensor to sit in the right place. i then purchased a wb hub and i just put it all together, drove my car without the stearing wheel nut in place in an empty parking lot. i just kept adjusting it a little at a time, turning off and restarting the car and driving till i had it where it needed to be. its really not to much trouble.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
there is a sensor in the column that you did not keep in the proper position that the VDC uses. to put it bluntly, you are kind of f^cked. it is a pain in the @ss to guess at is proper position. Your best bet might be to take it to the dealer to zero it out
+1

You moved the sensor.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 PM
NH01

Thanks guys..

where is the vdc sensor?is it that nipple thing that sticks out when u remove the OEM steering wheel?

and how do u hook up that air bag trick? there is orange and yellow wire for airbag.. my momo hub came with a airbag trick(+2amp fuse at the end.)... do i need 2 of these and plug it into both yellow and orange airbag wires?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 AM
kramykram

Originally Posted by NH01
Thanks guys..

where is the vdc sensor?is it that nipple thing that sticks out when u remove the OEM steering wheel?

and how do u hook up that air bag trick? there is orange and yellow wire for airbag.. my momo hub came with a airbag trick(+2amp fuse at the end.)... do i need 2 of these and plug it into both yellow and orange airbag wires?
Yes its the nipple thing. yes you need another 2amp fuse.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 AM
NH01

Originally Posted by kramykram
Yes its the nipple thing. yes you need another 2amp fuse.
Cool
Thanks alot man..