Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

before/after Technos ECU dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 09:49 AM
f r e z N Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uh...yeah....

Originally posted by barnicleboy
...I know they will fail, nissan didnt make them that good, these are not ferrari heads, or bmw heads.
How do you know? I bet you'll contradict yourself...
you cant just accept what is fed to you. Everything should be backed and proved,
Yup, you just did. Let's see if you do it again...
The detonation is already occuring and people are noticing it, but NOOO, its ok, it goes away.
Yup, again. How do you know this? Should I take your word for it?
Detonation destroys your engine in about .095 seconds.
So, if people where getting detonation already, then their engines are already destroyed.... but their still driving them? Again, you contradicted yourself.
Z heads cannot handle anything above 7000 or they will fall apart slowly gauranteed.
How do you know this? How much experience do you have the the VQ? Do you thin kit's more than Cheston's? I bet this is a word of mouth thing for you again, and not concrete fact... another contradiction
And to top it off the priceing is way out of line.
What would be a good price then?
OMG. and they still insist on NOT giving us a group buy discount.
Now I see. You're angry because they won't cut you a break on the price.
Sorry dude, the dyno has spoken.
A dyno on a car that you forget has custom exhaust work done to it also. So, should we just ignore the possibility of that element causing the dissapointing numbers?
hp and torque are on the way DOOWWWN when your at 6600rpm. Unless you got the nismo cams, the 7100rpm is not giving you performance
So, there is a performance benefit to be seen. What about for those running FI? How about for those with Crawford's plenum? Also, what is that little problem you had with detonation again?...
Detonation destroys your engine in about .095 seconds.
Yeah, that's the one. So, a lean conditoin, such as say...fuel cut-off, would cause detonation and....destroy your engine. If what you say is true, then an extended fuel cut-off level would do more good than harm.
Yes some people will live at high rpms, dont make assumptions, I would take my car to the track, which I would be spending 6 hours at 5000+.
And you believe this to be better for your engine than very occasionally going over the stock redline with the new ECU?

Last edited by f r e z N Y; 07-25-2003 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:17 AM
BigBadBuford

I am with Chebosto on this one. If you read up on some other new cars that just came out, such as the new Hemi Ram, you will see that the ECU is doing the exact same thing to those cars too.
I don't understand why everyone thinks we have a glass engine. Just look at the stuff people have been doing - 175 shot of nitrous, 370+ rwhp w/ the procharger, etc. and I don't remember hearing of any blown motors (other than when Top Secret was running 15+ psi). I think that shows we have a pretty strong bottom end to work with, I am sure the extra stress the nitrous or boost exerts is much more than an extra 500 rpm. The cams aren't designed to make power that high, but it doesn't mean they are going to "fly apart" - they only spin at 1/2 engine speed anyway. With a set of valve springs and retainers and you should have nothing to worry about.
I don't get all this negativity towards the ECU or Chebosto. Having more parts availble for the Z helps everyone and there is no need to put down this mod because one person didn't have the expected results, especially this soon after the release of the product.

Last edited by BigBadBuford; 07-25-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:39 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make that a 300 shot now.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=37183
Old 07-25-2003, 11:21 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

Default Re: uh...yeah....

I will try to have my reply have a technical focus

How do I know? I wont tell you, I'll let you find out yourself

MYou have a point on yoru second item, wrong choice of words on my part, People are not getting detonation, people are getting pinging, if ppl were detonating, they would'nt have an engine, however, pinging leads to detonation.

how do I know people who are getting the TS ecu are pinging/knocking? read this thread and now contradict yourself:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php s=&threadid=36905&highlight=ecu+pinging

A good price for Techno ECU would be $0.00 .

Im not angry either.

None of the technosquare guys have experiance with the vq engine itself, they do ecu jobs. not specific to an engine rebuilds and teardowns.

The exhaust does not matter because the only variable between the dynos was the ecu and the exhaust was a constant. its a before and after with all variables remaining the same. With your logic, your saying that if the car had bad tires, the dyno would have somehow been variable regardless of ecu swap..

Crawfords plenum does have a proven performance gain. Fi poff course will give you gains, I dont get your point on that statement..

The vq has an ingition cutoff, not a fuel cutoff. the cooling effect of the fuel is needed at those rpm's, thats one of the reasons race cars are always running rich (see the fire coming out of the exhaust). and yes, pinging will do more damage then fuel cutoff. just try both and look at your oil.

yes I beleive if the engine is made to live at high rpm's it will definatly be better then pinging which will cause your engine to blow.

Originally posted by f r e z N Y
How do you know? I bet you'll contradict yourself...

Yup, you just did. Let's see if you do it again...

Yup, again. How do you know this? Should I take your word for it?

So, if people where getting detonation already, then their engines are already destroyed.... but their still driving them? Again, you contradicted yourself.

How do you know this? How much experience do you have the the VQ? Do you thin kit's more than Cheston's? I bet this is a word of mouth thing for you again, and not concrete fact... another contradiction

What would be a good price then?

Now I see. You're angry because they won't cut you a break on the price.

A dyno on a car that you forget has custom exhaust work done to it also. So, should we just ignore the possibility of that element causing the dissapointing numbers?

So, there is a performance benefit to be seen. What about for those running FI? How about for those with Crawford's plenum? Also, what is that little problem you had with detonation again?...

Yeah, that's the one. So, a lean conditoin, such as say...fuel cut-off, would cause detonation and....destroy your engine. If what you say is true, then an extended fuel cut-off level would do more good than harm.

And you believe this to be better for your engine than very occasionally going over the stock redline with the new ECU?
Old 07-25-2003, 01:25 PM
chaknchngo

barnicleboy , what makes you such an expert in the ECU department??? And if you think you are so right, why aren't you out there making an ECU??? In all the threads about ECU, you always have been there making negative comments about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but I thought you might want to get the fact straight before you start talking like you know anything about TS.

TS actually deals with TechTom, and if you were living in Japan you would know they are actually a very good and reputable company. So guess what....TS did not make the program...it is actually from TechTom. I had my ECU upgraded couple of days ago and I saw the programs and guess what? Yup, didn't say TS, it said TECHTOM.

You also talk about the VQ engine like you have teared it apart and put it together. You say TS doesn't have experience with engines and that they are only an ECU company, but guess what, when I was there, an engine was sitting on the floor. And you guessed it right, a VQ35DE engine, the same one that goes in the Z! Not just sitting there, but Tadashi and another person were taking it apart and putting it back together to fit a turbo in there. So Technically, they are not just programing geeks, they actually know something about cars. Not just the Z, but there were 2 nicely built Subaru WRX. Now, I'm not saying that TS is a know-it-all company, like many other companies they have to do their research, BUT I know they are not a company that have decide to sell you crap w/o any research. I have seen what they can do and were doing, and most of what how well their service is.

Like I said don't get me wrong I dont want to start a debate with you on this thread, just wanted to tell you what I saw on the shop that day, and what you didn't (see) with your own eyes! And like it has been stated, if you don't want it or think it's crap, don't get it and don't bother giving people wrong information about the company that you don't know about. We are all here to help one another, but it defeats the purpose when one person starts talking out of his a$$, w/o any evidence.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:20 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

So far, at this point, I find the rev limiter/fuel shut off rather disabling and hell, dangerous. Imagine, overtaking and at mid point the Z starts to shudder, if I hadn't shifted fast enough and taken evasive action, my *** would be up his nose

I had no idea that such a rev limiter existed on my Z, so you can imagine my surprise with my first fuel starve experience, in mid air

If the ECU firmware mod could circumvent this disabling factor it would be pretty amazing, however, paying the price I would definitely expect more.

I too had considered trying the ECU flashing tweak, maybe I should dyno my Z before sending in the ECU. What are the chances of getting back my Z to its original state, should I not be happy with the mod. Any, money back guarantee?

I would like like to see more real world testing of the ECU mods.

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 07-25-2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Re: uh...yeah....

[B] People are not getting detonation, people are getting pinging, if ppl were detonating, they would'nt have an engine, however, pinging leads to detonation.
Do you understand what the heck you're talking about? PING is Detonation. its the same thing.

None of the technosquare guys have experiance with the vq engine itself, they do ecu jobs. not specific to an engine rebuilds and teardowns.
Yet again your ignorance astounds me. They have built up VQs since the late 90s and have extensive experiences with the VQ, and SR20DET, 2JZGTE, and numerous other engines from Mazda and Toyota.... Dude, just give it up. stop trying to post crap. you're just going to get knocked. Just because they build motors under contract to race teams and its not known to the public, doesnt mean they dont do it.

Don't make me post my motor build images

TS does it all-- and better than most, and always with the follow-on support you expect in a high caliber tuner.
Why dont you come down to So Cal and i'll give you a tour. Until then,
Old 07-25-2003, 07:25 PM
2003z

what Cheston said above. They are taking care of me and I'm sure I will have much better results to post in a week or 2. Thats all I comment on til its all said and done.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Silver Bullit II

Default barnicleboy ...

by definition, pinging is knocking is pre-detonation. I hope that helps.
JMS in TX
Old 07-26-2003, 08:46 AM
onefastdoc

I e-mailed Technosquare and asked if they would refund my money if a before and after dyno on my stock Track 350Z if their ECU didn't make more horsepower at all points in the rev range. As long as I pay for the dyno pulls, they said my money would be refunded if I wasn't happy with the results. I'm still skeptical about the ECU, but with a money back guarantee, I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:02 AM
f r e z N Y

Default Re: Re: uh...yeah....

I will try to have my reply have a technical focus

How do I know? I wont tell you, I'll let you find out yourself
now, doesn't that contradict one of your earlier statements?

you cant just accept what is fed to you. Everything should be backed and proved,
yup, that one there.

how do I know people who are getting the TS ecu are pinging/knocking? read this thread and now contradict yourself:
I have not contradicted myself. I'm still waiting for it to be "backed and proved" This too is just hearsay.

A good price for Techno ECU would be $0.00 .
If you think hard work should not be paid for, you are missing more common sence than I thought.

Im not angry either.
many of your posts are presenting the opposite.

You know this how?

The exhaust does not matter because the only variable between the dynos was the ecu and the exhaust was a constant. its a before and after with all variables remaining the same. With your logic, your saying that if the car had bad tires, the dyno would have somehow been variable regardless of ecu swap..
I was never defending the ECU's performance, but pointing out that other variables played here. The ECU upgrade was distributed with gaurantees over stock performance. Putting different component into the system that affects power output is different than talking about tires.

Crawfords plenum does have a proven performance gain. Fi poff course will give you gains, I dont get your point on that statement..
yes, a proven gain over the stock HP drop. It shows that the engine will make 20hp more at readline than before the plenum. To me, that opens up the concept that thee is a benefit for having a larger redline. Wouldn't you agree?

pinging will do more damage then fuel cutoff.
uh, no. If there in fact is pinging at higher rpms, as you say there is, there is no way that pinging due to a possibly too lean condition is equal to running an engine at that high of an RPM and not having any fuel to cool the engine. The detonation would be far worse in the latter situation.

just try both and look at your oil.
Now you sound like Evil Moderator Bill (Maxima.org guys like Cheston and BriGuy will get this one)
Old 07-27-2003, 10:02 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally posted by onefastdoc
I e-mailed Technosquare and asked if they would refund my money if a before and after dyno on my stock Track 350Z if their ECU didn't make more horsepower at all points in the rev range. As long as I pay for the dyno pulls, they said my money would be refunded if I wasn't happy with the results. I'm still skeptical about the ECU, but with a money back guarantee, I'm willing to give it a shot.
There you go, that's all I need to hear. Next question, do I need to make a duplicate of the original firmware (security, etc., etc.) to get it back to its original configuration after the Technosquare firmware update?

I am sure this has been discussed over and over again, but not to sound repetitious, I suppose the ESU can be reset to configure for future mods?

Thanks
G
Old 07-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Buub

Originally posted by throbbing_Zon
But i thought their claim is that the stock ECU negates mods and this new flash accepts them. I thought that was one of the major selling points!
Originally posted by Apexi350z
That's my understanding also.. Since I have Borla exhaust, I want to take full advantage of it, without ecu reset it back to stock.. But evil350z did dyno the exhaust after ecu reset, and it didn't make any difference.. so much confusion here...
I'm not taking a position on this, but I think a little more careful critical reading is in order.

He didn't say the exhaust itself caused the problem. He said that the process of swapping the exhaust may have screwed up the O2 sensors. The ECU is supposed to work well with other mods, but no ECU is expected to work properly when it's getting bad inputs.

Last edited by Buub; 07-27-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:34 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

how can you be so angry about this
everything youve said just makes you sound more ignorant
my dyno made gains similar to chestons with the ECU, the technosquare guys, know their stuff, tadashi is a very desirable progammer by alot of companies so dont you dare question his skill.
as for the entire shops credentials, they are also retuning and modifying a japanease turbo kit for the fairlady z to make it work fine on the amerispec Z.

the TS ecu is fine when mods are done to the car, but the modifications need to be done right.
no offense to 2003z.