Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 04:06 PM
MATIX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know, i think if by changing the timing and a/f ratio were all you needed to get 18-32 hp out of the vq35, the engineers at nissan should be fired. I dont mean to be negative, but it just sounds unrealistic to me, especially when looking at the graphs of the stock and tuned a/f ratios, which seem way off to me. I mean the "tuned" a/f ratio is what the stock a/f ratio is supposed to be. Every ecu ugprade in Japan hasnt come anywehre near getting thsoe kind of hp gains from the VQ, so forgive me if im skeptical... it seems to me that power wise the VQ is tuned close to as well as it could be in stock form, and it isnt going to gain much from an ecu upgrade, maybe 10hp at the most.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:00 PM
j's350z

Thats the beauty of the SMT6. It really is a remarkable unit that has many many tuning features and the guy tuning my car is a master at tuning it. In my opinion, the car is set up from the factory very conservatively. They push for the best fuel mileage and best emissions. For the few that don't think these dyno results are possible, then all I can say is time will tell. We plan on having a few more SMT6's installed bt next week so more 3rd party people can post their results.. I will let everyone know when our next dyno session will be so anyone in the NJ area can come watch for themselves..... We hope to release them within a few weeks, probably with an initial group buy.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:07 PM
j's350z

Originally posted by Richard 350z
Jason -

I believe you. But why can't you guys raise the rev limiter with your ECU. 6600 rpm is too low, and the TechnoSquare ECU raises it to 7100, which seems about right to me.

Richard

Silverstone Track
Their may be away to rig it to change the rev limiter but we decided against it for one main reason, that being that we did not want to jepordize the reliability of the car. We do not know the capabilities of running it at 7100 rpm's and if it will hurt the life of the motor. I know that the stock limiter comes in very abruptly and I have hit it many times but we decided to live with it. It would be interesting to hook up the smt6 with the technosquare ecu and see what we get.. Any volunteers???

Last edited by j's350z; 08-03-2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:45 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by j's350z
........... It would be interesting to hook up the smt6 with the technosquare ecu and see what we get.. Any volunteers???
That sounds like a great idea, maybe we can a discounted rate for just having the RPM limiter raised by TS.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:39 AM
Zaphod 350z

Originally posted by MATIX
I dont know, i think if by changing the timing and a/f ratio were all you needed to get 18-32 hp out of the vq35, the engineers at nissan should be fired. I dont mean to be negative, but it just sounds unrealistic to me, especially when looking at the graphs of the stock and tuned a/f ratios, which seem way off to me. I mean the "tuned" a/f ratio is what the stock a/f ratio is supposed to be. Every ecu ugprade in Japan hasnt come anywehre near getting thsoe kind of hp gains from the VQ, so forgive me if im skeptical... it seems to me that power wise the VQ is tuned close to as well as it could be in stock form, and it isnt going to gain much from an ecu upgrade, maybe 10hp at the most.
I agree however it has been well publicized that nissan "detuned" the Z to operate way below design spec so as to avoid embarrassing issues for the debut of the car. That being said, i'm sure there is a lot of power to be free'd up. Also keep in mind that nissan engineers have to work within a set of parameters that the aftermarket folks don't. That being pollution control, fuel economy, and overall drivability. Not everyone who buys a Z wants to make it ***** out fast. suckers.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

In my own opinion if I were to manufacture a car that had an electrionic engine management system, I would set it to run "conservatively". I would not be able to gurantee that the car would operate at a certain sea level, under certain types of conditions and atmoshperic constants bla bla bla. I think you could get some great gains by tuning the car to your own "driving environment" ie, where you live. If they did tune the ecu for say absolute sea level, then cars up here in CO would be running $hitty as there is much less air than at sea level etc... They gotta tune to a certain "conservative" level to gurantee that the car could run decently in a wide range of conditions (with the help of dynamic ecu adaptation), etc.. Tuning is just that, tuning the car to run it's best in your own geographic area. I believe you can make those gains, congrats on your achievements and I look foward to watching this product

B.t.w., did these changes slam your gas mileage?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Topics II

Originally posted by Juztin
In my own opinion if I were to manufacture a car that had an electrionic engine management system, I would set it to run "conservatively". I would not be able to gurantee that the car would operate at a certain sea level, under certain types of conditions and atmoshperic constants bla bla bla. I think you could get some great gains by tuning the car to your own "driving environment" ie, where you live. If they did tune the ecu for say absolute sea level, then cars up here in CO would be running $hitty as there is much less air than at sea level etc... They gotta tune to a certain "conservative" level to gurantee that the car could run decently in a wide range of conditions (with the help of dynamic ecu adaptation), etc.. Tuning is just that, tuning the car to run it's best in your own geographic area. I believe you can make those gains, congrats on your achievements and I look foward to watching this product

yeah, what he said...
Old 08-04-2003, 06:39 PM
j's350z

Originally posted by Juztin
I believe you can make those gains, congrats on your achievements and I look foward to watching this product

Thanks alot, we are estatic about our gains. Also, after driving the car for the past week, my gas mileage has not really changed and I have been driving it pretty hard. After 1 week of driving, their are NO problems with the smt6. We will install 2-3 units by this weekend and post the results!!!! We anticipate having it ready to ship in about 2 weeks with an initial group buy taking place until Labor day!!!!! Pricing and how to order coming very very soon...
Old 08-05-2003, 04:41 AM
Quick

Couple of questions for you....

How does this differ from any other piggy back that just alters incoming signals to the stock ecu?
How do you handle air-temp compensation?
How about tranisient fuel compensation?
What about the "learning" the stock ecu does?

This is an interesting option but i will keep my reservations until i learn more about it. I have used similar devices (also well known as the uni-chip) and had mixed results under varying conditions...
Old 08-05-2003, 05:15 AM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Group Buy sounds good.I don't care about increasing the rev limiter.I certainly dont want detonation.A piggy back with a switch for 91 to 93 octane would be cool.Ping,Im outta here.Regards,Tom
Old 08-05-2003, 02:49 PM
j's350z

We plan on offering a map for 91, 93, 100, and one for the procharger on 93!!! The basic kit will come with one programmed but you may add one more with a switch for a small fee... Stay tuned, we are getting close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:10 PM
12SecZ

I won't buy an ECU that doesn't raise the rev limiter or top speed limiter but aside from that is my car the only one with an ECU that runs FAT and not LEAN? I'm talking 10HP *rich* and my car has had over 30 Dyno pulls.

Is my ECU whached or what? i added a wideband when I installed the FMU/SC and it was still real rich off the scale rich!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:53 PM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Default ECU PIGGY BACK W/SWITCH

We plan on offering a map for 91, 93, 100, and one for the procharger on 93!!! The basic kit will come with one programmed but you may add one more with a switch for a small fee... Stay tuned, we are getting close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds good!!Don't shoot yourself in the foot.Pricing could make you the leader.Regards,Tom
Old 08-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Lipps

how about those dynos from the other cars that were supposed to have the chip by this past weekend? also, what is the availability for the g35 coupe?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:38 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Lipps
how about those dynos from the other cars that were supposed to have the chip by this past weekend? also, what is the availability for the g35 coupe?

ditto, would like to see dynos from the other test cars
Old 08-07-2003, 03:24 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lipps
That would be this weekend coming up, not the weekend that passed. It's going on my car sometime this weekend or next week. In any case, I've viewed the dynos & they are legitimate.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:40 AM
j's350z

We will be installing 2 units in the very near future and then dynoing. We will also be installing one more on a car with the Ati procharger with before and after dyno's!!! Please be patient, we want to throughly test everything before letting the product out on the market...
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2003, 11:02 AM
SirMikel1

We will be installing 2 units in the very near future and then dynoing. We will also be installing one more on a car with the Ati procharger with before and after dyno's!!! Please be patient, we want to throughly test everything before letting the product out on the market...
Thanks!
Muahaha!
Old 08-07-2003, 11:08 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason

I C you have this in your sig...Kinetix prototype plenum(coming soon),

Anymore new on this

Later
Aceman
Old 08-07-2003, 03:28 PM
j's350z

Mike,
you seem a little excited! I am waiting to see that procharger and get it on the dyno.. Is it done yet???????????

Aceman,
The plenum is still in the works, it is going through some minor changes and is going through extensive testing. More info on its way....

Quick Reply: Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!