Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm up high elevation wise, so I would probably end up needing to custom tune. My car is running really rich up top in the power band, so much so that if I put spark plugs in the tips I could probably shoot 20ft flames . I would like to get my car tuned for CO, as that should allow it to work pretty much anywhere else as I decided to live on the highest place on earth seemingly lol. I appreciate Chesbosto's work with the ECU. I think I will go with a SMT6 for a more "dynamic" solution for tuning, unless you guys offer 5600' elevation pre-tuned
Old 08-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jason-
any plans for bone stock Z comparisons?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Topics II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 2003z
$700? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but where's the outrage? People are complaining left and right about the cost of the technosquare.
if i can get 30+ rwhp and tq for under $700. I'll take 2!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 10:06 PM
Topics II

But seriously, you can count me in for one tuned for 91 octane. And maybe one with a switch for 93 octane as well.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:23 AM
j's350z

The cars that are in line for an install and dyno test are anywhere from bone stock all the way to ATI procharged. We were just taking our time on tuning my car so we have the perfect map to try in the other cars. We have been monitoring my car and are still making little changes(for the better) It looks like at least 2 units will ne installed tomorrow and dyno'd on Sat!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:55 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Cant wait to see the numbers!
I think Texas is a step behind compared to what ive seen come out Cali and East coast
Old 08-14-2003, 08:48 AM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Sir,Could we please stay with the subject & keep this Perfect Power ECU update going.I am intrested in results & feedback about the PB/ECU.Regards,Tom
Old 08-14-2003, 11:03 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by j's350z
The cars that are in line for an install and dyno test are anywhere from bone stock all the way to ATI procharged. We were just taking our time on tuning my car so we have the perfect map to try in the other cars. We have been monitoring my car and are still making little changes(for the better) It looks like at least 2 units will ne installed tomorrow and dyno'd on Sat!!!
As far as the Procharged Z, are you planning to try and eliminate the FMU with the SMT6?.......i was intending to eventually do this with my SAFC-II
Old 08-14-2003, 12:59 PM
crustydemon

JASON......
Installed tomorrow and Dyno'd Saturday????
Does this mean we will not have a baseline comparison, without the piggyback, on the test cars?
Old 08-14-2003, 03:56 PM
j's350z

Yes we plan on using the SMT6 without the fmu that comes with the procharger. That also means that the people that order the procharger in the future, can order it in the tuner version without the fmu and just get our preprogrammed SMT6

And about the cars in line for the install, the beauty of this system is that you can plug in a bypass plug which turns the car back to stock. We hopefully will install a couple tomorrow and then Saturday when we get to the shop, install the bypass, dyno the baseline and then dyno again with the SMT6. I will also dyno my car again which has had it installed already for a couple of weeks. We are just trying to get the exact map that we want to release before installing it in the other cars, so hopefully we will be all set this weekend.....
Old 08-14-2003, 04:02 PM
sschmuve

I want to see a dyno of the SMT6 in combination with Crawford headers and Plenum, Injen SES, and Injen intake. Wouldn't this be about a 70 whp increase near redline?

Last edited by sschmuve; 08-14-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:18 PM
crustydemon

Yes we plan on using the SMT6 without the fmu that comes with the procharger. That also means that the people that order the procharger in the future, can order it in the tuner version without the fmu and just get our preprogrammed SMT6

And about the cars in line for the install, the beauty of this system is that you can plug in a bypass plug which turns the car back to stock. We hopefully will install a couple tomorrow and then Saturday when we get to the shop, install the bypass, dyno the baseline and then dyno again with the SMT6. I will also dyno my car again which has had it installed already for a couple of weeks. We are just trying to get the exact map that we want to release before installing it in the other cars, so hopefully we will be all set this weekend.....
Sorry Jason...I'm sure this gets fustrating with the interogations, and I thank you for your responses.

I was curious about the ECU's optimization tasks.
I agree that the claims about the ECU detuning the car after installing mods is a MYTH. But the ECU does adjust certain paramters according to feedback from various sensors, and it's not instantaneous(as soon as you start up). I assume you have to run the car through the rpm range a number of times and for a period of time before the car builds an optimum map?

I speculated on Zcar.com that the lean numbers recorded on your base-run may have been the result of the car be tuned with the SMT6, and then being dyno'd too soon after removing the SMT6. I'm sure that, after bypassing, the ECU will not just simply default to the settings as they were before the install.

I know very little about the ECU, so first, is what I'm saying correct, or am I way off?
And, what is required(time/procedure) to return the car to it's original(optimized) map for the baseline dyno run?
Old 08-14-2003, 06:40 PM
crustydemon

After reading my last post I realize I'm coming across as a nay-sayer, but in reality, I agree that there is more power available through timing.

We consistantly see better dyno numbers on consecutive runs from cars which remain unaltered through-out the runs. I assume this is the result of the ECU optimizing it's maps for the resistance of the dyno. This on-going optimization is what throws up flags when I hear you'll bypass the SMT6 for the baseline runs.

I am, truely, hoping for great results, but I guaranty these questions will come up after posting more dynos.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:27 PM
350Z 2+2 ???

Is it possible that the lean condition with the stock Z was causing some pinging resulting in the ECU pulling back timing? If this were the case, more power could be had by making the car run richer. I just had my stock G35 coupe dyno'ed today and my A/F ratios were no where near where this Z was. Here's a graph of HP and A/F.
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!-dyno2.jpg  
Old 08-15-2003, 08:29 PM
350Z 2+2 ???

Sorry, wrong pic!
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!-dyno3.jpg  
Old 08-15-2003, 09:08 PM
j's350z

I am not sure exactly what you mean if these are your dyno's. This car posted is running VERY lean, I think its even leaner than my Z was before the SMT6. Also, where did they weld in the o2 bung and wideband sensor?
Old 08-15-2003, 09:13 PM
crustydemon

I wouldn't call a starting point at about 13.3/1 finishing at 11.2/1 LEAN. Maybe I'm reading the graph wrong.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:19 PM
2003z

Yeah, looks VERY rich to me too
Old 08-15-2003, 09:21 PM
350Z 2+2 ???

I'm not sure if you are referring to my post or j's350z, but I was referring to the A/F ratios that j's350 posted earlier in this thread. Here's his link:

http://www.mrcmotorsportsllc.com/af.htm

The stock Z he used to tweak his ECU was running very lean... like 16:1 to 14:1 at redline. He made good power by fattening it up to around 13:1 across the board.

Last edited by 350Z 2+2 ???; 08-15-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:37 PM
JZC

I'm in on the group buy if there is one.

Lemme see some dynos.

Quick Reply: Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!