Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 11:20 AM
roark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MATIX
I dont know, i think if by changing the timing and a/f ratio were all you needed to get 18-32 hp out of the vq35, the engineers at nissan should be fired.
Remember,

There are a lot more factors that go into a manufacturer's decisions about these things than just the technical ones. A manufacturer has CAFE standards to meet, warranty/quality/performance balances, and even marketing compromises.

For example, an RSX Type S could very easily push close to S2000 performance (See Hondata ECU) but they don't tune the RSX the same for fear of stepping on S2000 sales.

The S2000 is priced much higher than the RSX in part because they calculate the shorter MTBF into their overall cost of warranty, which translates to higher sticker price.

When Nissan published preliminary numbers for the 350Z, we were told over 300 BHP, but I'm sure that the bean counters and marketing managers worked these numbers down.

Why do the marketing guys want to push the number down? So that when sales begin to slump and they need to increase HP to keep interest up, they can build the 350ZX with 349 BHP and everyone will think that's great.

So, chip tuning IS a legitimate science/art/voodoo depending on how you look at it. Basically, the more time you spend dynoing and crunching the numbers, the closer you will get to ideal mapping.

Just my $.02.

Roark
Old 08-12-2003, 11:24 AM
MATIX

Originally posted by roark
Remember,

There are a lot more factors that go into a manufacturer's decisions about these things than just the technical ones. A manufacturer has CAFE standards to meet, warranty/quality/performance balances, and even marketing compromises.

For example, an RSX Type S could very easily push close to S2000 performance (See Hondata ECU) but they don't tune the RSX the same for fear of stepping on S2000 sales.

The S2000 is priced much higher than the RSX in part because they calculate the shorter MTBF into their overall cost of warranty, which translates to higher sticker price.

When Nissan published preliminary numbers for the 350Z, we were told over 300 BHP, but I'm sure that the bean counters and marketing managers worked these numbers down.

Why do the marketing guys want to push the number down? So that when sales begin to slump and they need to increase HP to keep interest up, they can build the 350ZX with 349 BHP and everyone will think that's great.

So, chip tuning IS a legitimate science/art/voodoo depending on how you look at it. Basically, the more time you spend dynoing and crunching the numbers, the closer you will get to ideal mapping.

Just my $.02.

Roark
I understand your reasoning behind that, but around 10-15 japanese tuners have come out with ECU upgrades, and no ones come close to making an extra 30hp by changing the ignition timing and a/f ratio, so forgive me if im skeptical about hte gains by the perfect power ecu...especially since the tuned a/f ratios on their graphs are around 13:1, which is waht the a/f ratio is on a stock z. I guess i'll wait to see dynos from other cars, and see what the a/f ratio is on those.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:13 PM
meatwad79

yep...sounds fishy
Old 08-12-2003, 02:13 PM
2003z

$700? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but where's the outrage? People are complaining left and right about the cost of the technosquare.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:49 PM
barnicleboy
Banned

Originally posted by 2003z
$700? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but where's the outrage? People are complaining left and right about the cost of the technosquare.

If this product holds true, and delivers, then your getting power for you money. Technosquare didnt deliver, IMHO. Those who brought it and couldnt hold their jizz will claim otherwise, even though dynos have spoken.

This is also a product, not just a 2 second download map. This has more features, and it has the ability to be undone (for inspections)

Techno Didnt offer a group buy. Which I thought was absurd. I dont even think anyone is still interested in techno, I think people have learned that to wait for the market works to their advantage, and hoipefully techno and other manufacturers will learn to offer discounts to those members of this web site who as a whole contributed and propgated their products.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:22 PM
DeeZee

now that it is said and done, im glad that ts didnt offer a gb! cuz i wouldve bought one, and now i would need to have it unflashed, to use this new one! but before i get TOO excited (like last time!) lets see some REAL WORLD NUMBERS, then well talk! and YES, i feel that we will be getting more for our money! (imo)
Old 08-12-2003, 03:45 PM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Default Cost

Originally posted by 2003z
Just a friendly reply.1st,Danny at TS told me on the phone:" THERE WOULD BE A GROUP BUY"Then he emailed me & said "no GB".That kinda got me,but I was willing to wait & see results.It seemed like a few folks had some detonation problems???Not sure on that,But Danny did say "One Z did ping with cheap gas in the heat of the desert.Then the dyno results??I really just got disintrested & made a decision to wait.I like the idea of the piggy back.Plus a switch to run 91 or 93octane will help when Im in Arizona(Phoenix/Maricopa county gas sux).Also,Jason has been upfront.He has answeres all my replies & questions.He is going to give the members of this site a GB & I think it will be less than $595 +S&H X2.Regards,Tom
Old 08-12-2003, 04:42 PM
2003z

Default Re: Cost

Originally posted by TOM Z CENTRAL
Just a friendly reply.1st,Danny at TS told me on the phone:" THERE WOULD BE A GROUP BUY"Then he emailed me & said "no GB".That kinda got me,but I was willing to wait & see results.It seemed like a few folks had some detonation problems???Not sure on that,But Danny did say "One Z did ping with cheap gas in the heat of the desert.Then the dyno results??I really just got disintrested & made a decision to wait.I like the idea of the piggy back.Plus a switch to run 91 or 93octane will help when Im in Arizona(Phoenix/Maricopa county gas sux).Also,Jason has been upfront.He has answeres all my replies & questions.He is going to give the members of this site a GB & I think it will be less than $595 +S&H X2.Regards,Tom
The only thing I know about their business practices is the way I was treated. I am the only one I have seen that saw no gains, and they set up a custom program based on my dyno a/f readings, then sent me a replacement ecu with that new program.

I've got nothing against this SMT6, and hope it works like their intial tests show, it will be good for all of us. I was just remarking on the price comparison, since MANY people on this thread said 600 was way too much for any ecu upgrade, since their old hondas were much cheaper to upgrade.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:35 PM
j's350z

I just want to thank everyone for your great questions and replys on this thread. Many of you(probably over 75) have met me at the various NJ area meets and know that I am in the same boat as you. Someone who is looking for decent performance products for the Z. Thats why I decided to get into this, especially the SMT6, since I have the resources at my finger tips(IDAautomotive)This is a part time gig for me and I appreciate all of your patience with the email responses and updates, as I still have a Mon-Fri full time job. Official pricing and group buy info will be posted as soon as all the testing is done. Once again thanks and please stay tuned!!!!
Please remember to check out the official website for the SMT6 since it will answer many questions that people are asking me through email. I don't mind answering any questions but checking out the website might make you clearer on what the unit does!
www.perfectpower.com
Thanks again

Last edited by j's350z; 08-13-2003 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:56 PM
lowrider

Jason, I must compliment you on the way you've handled yourself. The main reason I never had any interest at all in the TSI unit, were the inflammatory posts by chebosto. He is always on the defensive and always lashing out at those who dissagree with him. You, on the other hand, have taken the high road. I admire that. I will watch closely, the results I see on this forum. BTW, I have a G 6MT Coupe. I assume you're working on this also.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 08-12-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:58 PM
ihiustler
Banned

Originally posted by lowrider
Jason, I must compliment you on the way you've handled yourself. The main reason I never had any interest at all in the TSI unit, were the inflammatory posts by chebosto. He is always on the defensive and always lashing out at those who dissagree with him. You, on the other hand, have taken the high road. I admire that. I will watch closely, the results I see on this and the my350z forum.

Lou
i second what he said to!!
good job, keep up the good work
Old 08-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Wags

I compliment u 2. I posted earlier, I'd be in at 1/2 the price. Well that's only because I only paid slightly over $200 for the Power Kommanders on my Honda and Harley. But I understand this is a little more sufisticated. My real concern is not the price, as long as the performance is there. But,.. with the Power Komander I have software that lets me view, modify, save and download other maps to the bike and the internet. You have mentioned how complictaed, difficult and important the different variables are,etc. But, You can provide the basic starter maps and let the customers build and test others to match their mods, and they will send them to you. You can post the ones that look good, or none at all. It's an open source thing which would promote your product in the end. I don't think I would want somthing I would have to pay for every time I buy something else, i.e. the next new map. My 2 sense.

Other than that everything I've heard sounds great.

P.S. I know that may be asking alot, i.e. wiriting another completely diferent type of software. But beware the competition.

Last edited by Wags; 08-12-2003 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:25 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason,

I must agree, you have handled yourself very, very well in the face of a lot of (unwarranted) skepticism. I found myself getting rather annoyed with all the nay-sayers, although I bit my tongue. That said, can't wait to get mine installed.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:33 AM
j's350z

Thanks everyone!
The problem with selling you the smt6 with an open map is that the software to tune it is very expensive. Thats the main reason why you won't be able to adjust it yourself. Their are copyright issues. I can sell you the tuning software but off the top of my head it costs around $500. Then you need to install a wide band o2 and take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. Thats the only advantage that people will have that live by me(NJ) For the cost of the dyno tuning and o2 install, we can adjust their map to there car. We are testing it on various cars with dfferent mods so we can develop the perfect map for everyone. We will have a stock car, one with cat pipes and intake, one with the crawford plenum and cat back exhaust, my car obviously, and also an ATI procharged car.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:15 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Jason, Question...

Does the piggy back ecu fix the detuning of mods to meet peak milage?

If yes, than the HP gains on modded vehicles should be more than stock ones. So 30 hp on stock could be 50+ hp (before and after) on someone who is already running Exh,Cai,Pulleys, and FI/SC.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:41 AM
j's350z

In my opinion and experience, I still belive the "detuning" that the ecu does is a myth. My car before the smt6 dyno'd at 237 hp with the only mods being, CAI, Crank Pulley, Grounding kit, and resonator removed which is a 14hp or so increase over most stock dyno's. Thus proving that the mods did do something. These mods have also been on my car for about 15k miles. I dyno'd a 10hp gain back in november with just a grounding kit, pop charger, and resonator removed. The dyno was also done after many miles of driving.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Thankz for the reply,

So the piggy backs gains are mainly from the Air fuel mix ratios and not from mods.

237 seemed low then i saw no exhaust mod... so your 14+ seemed about right. But 30+ from the mix alone seems awesome... throw in a borla or injen exhaust to your current setup and your looking at close to 290/300hp at the wheels NA *** Now thats beef***

Now if you can only work on that rev/limiter and top speed.... I know the guys at perfect power can fix this... I saw this done for other cars using the SMT5, I guess its a wait and it'll come thing....

Honestly I would see intrest sky with the lifting of the top speed and rev limiters, but your piggy already looks really impressive already.

Good work on this
Old 08-13-2003, 12:05 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by j's350z
In my opinion and experience, I still belive the "detuning" that the ecu does is a myth. My car before the smt6 dyno'd at 237 hp with the only mods being, CAI, Crank Pulley, Grounding kit, and resonator removed which is a 14hp or so increase over most stock dyno's. Thus proving that the mods did do something. These mods have also been on my car for about 15k miles. I dyno'd a 10hp gain back in november with just a grounding kit, pop charger, and resonator removed. The dyno was also done after many miles of driving.
This is how i feel about it also.......my dynos and track times have improved with mods.....and i know others that have made permanent gains also
Old 08-13-2003, 06:43 PM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Default Piggy Back

Originally posted by j's350z
I just want to thank everyone for your great questions and replys on this thread. Many of you(probably over 75) have met me at the various NJ area meets and know that I am in the same boat as you. Someone who is looking for decent performance products for the Z. Thats why I decided to get into this, especially the SMT6, since I have the resources at my finger tips(IDAautomotive)This is a part time gig for me and I appreciate all of your patience with the email responses and updates, as I still have a Mon-Fri full time job. Official pricing and group buy info will be posted as soon as all the testing is done. Once again thanks and please stay tuned!!!!
Please remember to check out the official website for the SMT6 since it will answer many questions that people are asking me through email. I don't mind answering any questions but checking out the website might make you clearer on what the unit does!
www.perfectpower.com
Thanks again
Jason,I went to the web site www.perfectpower.com & the SMT6 looks like you guys hit a home run.Hope the dyno testing went well today.Thankz again for your extra efforts.Regards,Tom
Old 08-13-2003, 07:40 PM
mdepena

Jason,
Can you PM me or post your contact info in NJ. I live in Northern Virginia and am contemplating making the trip up there to get this done. I'm impressed with what I've read so far.

Quick Reply: Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!