Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 09:38 PM
crustydemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 350Z 2+2 ???
I'm not sure if you are referring to my post or j's350z, but I was referring to the A/F ratios that j's350 posted earlier in this thread. Here's his link:

http://www.mrcmotorsportsllc.com/af.htm

The stock Z he used to tweak his ECU was running very lean... like 16:1 to 14:1 at redline. He made good power by fattening it up to around 13:1 across the board.
LOL...I'm not sure who you were talkin to, but I was responding to j's350 post and refering to your graph when I said I would NOT call those numbers LEAN.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:48 AM
350Z 2+2 ???

Originally posted by crustydemon
LOL...I'm not sure who you were talkin to, but I was responding to j's350 post and refering to your graph when I said I would NOT call those numbers LEAN.
Gotcha.

To answer another of j's350z's questions, this was done on a Dyno Dynamics dynamometer. This dyno uses an O2 probe which goes up the tail pipe. This system has been used many, many times, and has given accurate readings. I could see there being a slight delay due to it's location, but I don't believe it's significant.

J's, have you ever tuned on a Dyno Dynamics before? This dyno is sweet. It has very small low intertia rollers that can be loaded to simulate any driving condition. You can do things like dialing in a specific speed and no matter how much gas you give the car, it will load the rollers accrodingly to maintain the set speed. Great for tuning things such as your ECU. You can very easily do full throttle, partial throttle, etc. across any rpm range you desire. I believe it is a vast improvement over the trial and error approach with most dynos (adjust, dyno, adjust, dyno, ...).

Just a few more tidbits regarding my run. The ramp rate was set at 200 to make this run more like a Dyno Jet dyno, which is probably the most common one in use today. Also, my car just hit 1000 miles, so I'm not sure if it's really past it's break in period yet. Finally, Dyno Dynamics numbers usually read a little lower than most dynos, so I am very pleased with the 222hp I got. This will be the only dyno I run my G on, so relative gains can be seen on any upgrade I make to my car. Dyno runs are free for me also, so I'll be dynoing after every upgrade. Now, I just need to get the wife to let me play around a bit!

I have attached a pic also.
Attached Thumbnails Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!-dyno1.jpg  
Old 08-16-2003, 12:20 PM
j's350z

I guess I was looking at your dyno wrong, I didn't see the hp #'s on the side, I have all of my A/F graphs by themselves... The dyno used looks neat but I would take your A/F readings with a grain of salt. It is ok to use the O2 probe for basic monitoring but I wouldn't tune with out a wideband O2. Any readings after the cat are not realy acurate...
Old 08-16-2003, 01:31 PM
2003z

Originally posted by j's350z
I guess I was looking at your dyno wrong, I didn't see the hp #'s on the side, I have all of my A/F graphs by themselves... The dyno used looks neat but I would take your A/F readings with a grain of salt. It is ok to use the O2 probe for basic monitoring but I wouldn't tune with out a wideband O2. Any readings after the cat are not realy acurate...
but they are better than if the dyno operator doesn't put the probe in at all, then tells you they did. On my dynos showing a 14.7:1, (which TS programmed around for me based on those numbers), the probe wasnt hooked up at all. At first they told me that if it wasn't there wouldnt be any numbers, so it must have been, but the dyno operator yesterday said he hadn't been using one. I got a bung put in before the left cat, and am running about what his dyno said, anywhere from 13:1 to 11.5:1 where they enriched the fuel flow. Replaced my custom exhaust with stock and picked up .3 seconds on 0-60, so the TS ecu really does work.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:30 PM
kgb

Originally posted by j's350z
Yes we plan on using the SMT6 without the fmu that comes with the procharger. That also means that the people that order the procharger in the future, can order it in the tuner version without the fmu and just get our preprogrammed SMT6

And about the cars in line for the install, the beauty of this system is that you can plug in a bypass plug which turns the car back to stock. We hopefully will install a couple tomorrow and then Saturday when we get to the shop, install the bypass, dyno the baseline and then dyno again with the SMT6. I will also dyno my car again which has had it installed already for a couple of weeks. We are just trying to get the exact map that we want to release before installing it in the other cars, so hopefully we will be all set this weekend.....

What became of this weekend's dyno testing?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:51 PM
j's350z

we installed one more over the weekend but haven't made it to the dyno yet. We also made a new small discovery which requires my car to go back to the shop. I think we are going to be able to get some more power out of this. I will start a new thread as soon as we have more info.
Thanks,
Old 08-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Stewie
Banned

Will this ECU work in conjunction with an s-afc, or even something like the greddy E-manage??
Old 08-17-2003, 05:36 PM
apsilon

Originally posted by Stewie
Will this ECU work in conjunction with an s-afc, or even something like the greddy E-manage??
It's essentially the same principle so adding another would be a waste of time. This one allows more refined tuning than the s-afc but I'm not familiar with the E manage so can't say if it's better, worse or equal.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:46 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm tired of the BS in this thread, so I deleted all the BS (mainly barnicleboy's stupid mouth )

Victor
Old 08-18-2003, 06:20 AM
j's350z

Thanks!!! More to come
Old 08-19-2003, 05:32 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Can you guys do a mapping for a base 350z with jwt pop charger, crawford plenum, nismo headers, borla dual exhaust, and no cats? Oh yeah I forgot to mention a max "lean" a/f of 17.5:1!!! I can send you guys some a/f measurements once I get a chance to take them to kinkos to scan in and all that good stuff. What's your guys opinion on my lean state with the mods on the car, you guys think you can help me out w/ a mapping??? I'm in denver co wear the mean elev. is around 5400'ish.

If you can help out, then much thanks!
--Justin (domainwepr@yahoo.com)
Old 08-20-2003, 02:00 PM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Jason,Whats happening with the little piggy...............back?Get back to us Z-nutz.Regards,Tom
Old 08-20-2003, 06:09 PM
j's350z

Actually just got back from the shop where we did alittle different configuration and guess what? 5 more HP. It was actually done on Daytona's car(Chris). Tomorrow we are going to flash the new map on my car and then dyno it again!!! Chris is actually on vaca so I'm not going to post any info for him but he was very happy. We actually raced each other and for the first time he was pulling on me. And that was before the extra 5hp. His car dyno'd at 255. He only has the crawford plenum, PE exhaust, and the SMT6. I will update you guys with more info and graphs as soon as possible. Thanks once again for all the interest......
Old 08-20-2003, 06:21 PM
lowrider

Interest - Interest - You bet. Please keep us informed. I have the "G" 6MT. I assume you're doing something with that too.

Lou
Old 08-20-2003, 08:29 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

have you done any car without the crawford plenum?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:41 PM
zuff

We really need to see a stock car Jason. Before and After!

Sounds great that you are getting such good results though...i can't wait to see the dyno charts and A/F chart.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:38 AM
j's350z

We are aiming for installing one in Jeff's car(jritt) next week. His car is bone stock. And for the person who asked about one without the crawford plenum, my car doesn't have one... I am probably dynoing my car today with the new map....
Old 08-21-2003, 04:52 AM
ImportFreak

well thats was a **** load of reading. cant wait for the dynos! especially for the piggy on the G Coupe!
Old 08-21-2003, 06:02 AM
cbsuper

Dude, I am definitely interested in this. How close are you to getting it released?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:07 AM
j's350z

Hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. It got delayed since we came up with a new base map, one that is actually making more power now. We plan on installing a few more next week and then releasing it after that. Stay tuned for beta tester's reviews and dyno results!!!

Quick Reply: Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!